JESUS, THE ETERNAL WORD
"He told them a story. ‘Look at a fig tree. Any tree for that matter. When the leaves begin to show, one look tells you that summer is right around the corner. The same here -- when you see these things happen, you know God's kingdom is about here. Don't brush this off. I'm not just saying this for some future generation, but for this one too --these things will happen. Sky and earth will wear out; my words won't wear out.'" Luke 21:29-33 (The Message).
"Words! Words!" sang Professor Higgins in the musical version of George Bernard Shaw's "Pygmalion". We live in an era in which words are saturating the airwaves around the globe. People are constantly posting more and more words on the web, all claiming knowledge and clamouring for attention and belief. Whose words are the truth and whose words are we to believe?
There is something different about the words of Jesus. Is there another person on earth whose words have had the power to bring hope, give encouragement and change lives like Jesus' words have done through 2000 years? There is something so compelling about His words that people all over the world and in every generation are drawn to believe and respond.
What is it that makes His words different from the words of any other authority? No one else has made the claims that Jesus makes about His words.
1. He knows what He is talking about because he came from the other side. "'I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know and testify to what we have seen...No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven -- the Son of Man '" John 3:11, 13 (NIV).
2. He does not speak His own words or on His own authority. "The Jews were amazed.’How did this man get such learning without having studied.' Jesus answered. 'My teaching is not my own. It comes from His who sent me.'" John 7:15-16 (NIV).
3. He speaks more than mere words. His words are life-giving. "'The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. Yet there are some of you who do not believe.'" John 7:63-64a (NIV).
4. He teaches us the truth and the knowledge of the truth sets us free. "To the Jews who believed Him Jesus said, 'If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.'" John 8:31-32 (NIV).
5. His words will be our judge when He returns. "'As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him...There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my word; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day.'" John 12:47a, 48 (NIV).
What did Jesus say that no one else has ever said? "' I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.'" John 5:24 (NIV)
"'My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish. No one can snatch them out of my hand.'" John 10:27 (NIV).
"Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies, and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?'" John 11:25-26 (NIV).
All other great religious teachers have told their followers what to do but never called them to become one with them. Jesus not only spoke God's word. He is God's Word, the living embodiment of everything God has spoken so that those who believe in Him will know that He alone is the truth. He is His word and He is eternal. Therefore His words will never pass away and nor will those who believe Him.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Luella Campbell or search for articles on the same topic or others.
Like reading Christian Articles? Check out some more options. Read articles in Free Reprints, Main Site Articles, Most Read Articles or our highly acclaimed Challenge Articles.
JOIN US at FaithWriters for Free. Grow as a Writer and Spread the Gospel.
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.
Hire a Christian Writer, Christian Writer Wanted, Christian Writer Needed, Christian Content Needed
Find a Christian Editor, Hire a Christian Editor, Christian Editor, Find a Christian Writer