I started thinking a while ago about blogging Ė whether I should continue with it or not Ė because blogging has a significant number of downsides:
* The time it takes to write posts takes time away from other things which are arguably more important.
* It impacts on my thought life; something happens, and I immediately start thinking about how it would fit into my blog.
* I donít feel like I get loads of visits so itís not as if Iím changing the world by blogging Ė I could probably save the internet a good few megabytes by cancelling the whole thing!
* The responses I see are generally negative; far more people leave critical or angry comments than grateful comments. That doesnít make me feel too good.
But, of course, itís not all bad:
* Blogging makes me better at communicating Ė looking back at the first year or two of blog posts makes me cringe at my own naivety, aggression, and uninformed opinions. Iím sure I still have a long way to go, but Iím heading in the right direction.
* It impacts on my thought life; a few years ago, life just happened. Now Iím far more analytical, I think things through more logically and clearly, enabling me to appreciate Godís grace in creation, other people, and myself.
* Iím handed a heavy dose of humility whenever I see the stats or the eloquence of those who disagree with me.
* Iíve learnt a lot about how to deal with people who disagree with me.
* Having to face challenges head-on, and thinking through tough things, has only ever strengthened my faith in God. Itís good to have had that experience.
For the moment, I think Iím going to keep on blogging. Not many other people seem to read my blog, so doing it for the benefit of mankind would be a bit silly, but Iím going to maintain these objectives:
* Get better at communicating.
* Think about lots of stuff so that when people ask, I have an informed opinion.
* Create posts about Jesus so that random internet browsers are more likely to read something about him.
* Hope that some book publisher out there asks me to write a book that becomes an international bestseller, meaning I can think and write about Jesus full-time.
Oh well, I suppose three out of four wouldnít be too bad.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Sam Isaacson or search for articles on the same topic or others.