I started thinking a while ago about blogging Ė whether I should continue with it or not Ė because blogging has a significant number of downsides:
* The time it takes to write posts takes time away from other things which are arguably more important.
* It impacts on my thought life; something happens, and I immediately start thinking about how it would fit into my blog.
* I donít feel like I get loads of visits so itís not as if Iím changing the world by blogging Ė I could probably save the internet a good few megabytes by cancelling the whole thing!
* The responses I see are generally negative; far more people leave critical or angry comments than grateful comments. That doesnít make me feel too good.
But, of course, itís not all bad:
* Blogging makes me better at communicating Ė looking back at the first year or two of blog posts makes me cringe at my own naivety, aggression, and uninformed opinions. Iím sure I still have a long way to go, but Iím heading in the right direction.
* It impacts on my thought life; a few years ago, life just happened. Now Iím far more analytical, I think things through more logically and clearly, enabling me to appreciate Godís grace in creation, other people, and myself.
* Iím handed a heavy dose of humility whenever I see the stats or the eloquence of those who disagree with me.
* Iíve learnt a lot about how to deal with people who disagree with me.
* Having to face challenges head-on, and thinking through tough things, has only ever strengthened my faith in God. Itís good to have had that experience.
For the moment, I think Iím going to keep on blogging. Not many other people seem to read my blog, so doing it for the benefit of mankind would be a bit silly, but Iím going to maintain these objectives:
* Get better at communicating.
* Think about lots of stuff so that when people ask, I have an informed opinion.
* Create posts about Jesus so that random internet browsers are more likely to read something about him.
* Hope that some book publisher out there asks me to write a book that becomes an international bestseller, meaning I can think and write about Jesus full-time.
Oh well, I suppose three out of four wouldnít be too bad.
Read more articles by Sam Isaacson or search for articles on the same topic or others.