Here are 14 ways to proactively take responsibility for your spiritual growth. You can pick and choose which ones would be best for you. These are NOT in order of importance.
1. Be selective in the kind of books you read. In addition to reading for pleasure, you could consider reading some books that will help propel you forward in your spiritual maturity.
2. The above also applies to the media you watch or listen to.
3. Have Bible study goals and develop an effective prayer life. For example, set a goal of reading through a Bible book each month.
4. Don't depend upon your pastor or local church to nuture you. YOU know what your spiritual and emotional needs are.
5. Identify and deal with emotional and relational issues that are hindering your spiritual growth.
6. Get involved in a small support group in or outside the local church.
7. Get an accountability partner, if necessary.
8. Get a mentor.
9. Identify and put to use your spiritual gifts. Each believer in Christ has at least one, given by the Holy Spirit, to help minister to His Kingdom. If you do not know how to identify them, there are books on the subject or knowledgeable people to talk to, plus several places in the Bible that list them.
10. Ask God to give you a God-given dream to pursue that will help you contribute to advancing His Kingdom, in your own unique way.
11. Associate with the right kind of people, basically with the kind of people that you want to become. For example, if you have anger issues, then do not associate with angry people.
12. Develop and maintain emotional, moral, and spiritual boundaries and do not allow other people to violate them. If you do not know what boundaries are, get with a professional counselor.
13. Keep a daily journal of your spiritual growth and insights from Scripture reading.
14. Be involved in an exciting local church, where you look forward to attending each week, and where you are being fed spiritually and you have opportunities for service.
Read more articles by John Clark or search for articles on the same topic or others.