Here are some distinctives of Islam, taken from "Religions of the World: The Illustrated Guide to Origins, Beliefs, Traditions & Festivals" by Lionheart Books, Copyright 1997. Only the information regarding Islam is taken from the above source. This will be contrasted with traditional Christian beliefs based upon the Bible.
1. Islam is based on a vision given to Mohammed, a successful and respected trader, in a CAVE.(pg. 68) Christianity is based upon the God/Man Jesus Christ dying on a cross and rising from the GRAVE.
2. Islam was pretty widely established by 632 C.E.(pg. 69) (C.E., which stands for Common Era, replaced A.D., and counts forward from the birth of Jesus.) Christianity was becoming well established in the first century, well before Islam, and isn't it worthy to note that the whole basis of the calendar is Christ's birth?
3. The Qur'an is considered to be inspired by God BEFORE TIME BEGAN, and dictated to Mohammed, and because of its beauty and poetry. (pg. 10,70) The Bible was written by inspired authors over a span of hundreds of years, but it all fits together around central themes. II Peter 1:20-21. "But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God." The Bible also gives much evidence to its divine inspiration because of fulfilled prophecy. Jesus Christ was the BEGINNING OF TIME. "In the beginning was the Word (Jesus Christ),and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1
4. Jesus is regarded as a prophet and on the same level as Noah and Abraham. (pg. 71) Jesus claimed to be "the way, the truth, and the life, and no one comes to the Father, except through me." (John 14:6)
5. Muslims kiss a black STONE. (pg 71) Christians bow before a CROSS.
6. Islam teaches death and judgment based upon the good outweighing the bad. (pg 77) Christianity teaches salvation based upon grace through faith, apart from works. (Galatians 2:16 and Ephesians 2:8-9)
Just for information sake, the Islam flag is a green crescent moon with a star inside.
Read more articles by John Clark or search for articles on the same topic or others.