Here are 10 steps that can be taken to avoid reacting to someone else in a codependent manner.
1. Lower your tone of voice.
2. Leave the room, go outside and work, or go for a walk.
3. Do some activity to divert your thoughts.
4. Change a potential confrontation into a constructive conversation.
5. Refuse to be drawn into a "codependent conversation" or reacting back and forth.
6. Make a decision regardless of the resistance.
7.Try to understand the causes of the codependency.
8. Attempt to stay positive with an attitude of gratitude.
9. Do not dwell on angry thoughts.
10. Set emotional boundaries.
(This material is taken from the author's book, GOD'S HEALING HOPE: BREAKING THE STRONGHOLDS OF WRONG THINKING, pages 85-86).
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR,
LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
AS A MEMBER OR
Read more articles by John Clark or search for other articles by topic below.