Many Christians believe that this is the final generation prior to Christ's return. If you don't believe this way I think you would probably agree that the world is going through tremendous upheavals, like wild and more intense weather, a greater frequency and intensity of earthquakes, wars and rumors of war, nations rising against nations, governments falling, leaders being dethroned, continual threat of nuclear war, the persistent inability to obtain Middle East peace, alliances being formed against Israel, and an increase in knowledge without the knowledge of God. Much of this is prophesied in the Bible.
We hear a lot about preparing in a physical or practical way, but not much is said about equipping ourselves spiritually.
1. Be sure of your salvation by putting your faith and trust in Jesus Christ.
2. Know what you believe and why you believe it, based on the one and only inspired Word of God, the Bible. If you don't have convictions you may fall for false doctrines. It will be easy, without a rock-solid faith in Christ, to compromise one's beliefs when the pressure is on. (I Timothy 4:1)
3. Recognize false Christs. Matthew 24:11 states, "And many false prophets will arise, and will mislead many."
4. Be ready for religious persecution, which is already beginning to happen, even in the USA, where there is supposed to be freedom of religion and free speech. (II Timothy 3:12)
5. Commit your life and circumstances to the loving care of God. Take to heart Psalm 31:14-15, "But as for me, I trust in Thee, O Lord, I say 'Thou Art my God.' My times are in Thy Hand. Deliver me from the hand of my enemies, and from those who persecute me."
6. Recognize prophetic events as they occur. There is an order to them. Read and study passages dealing with prophecy, like Ezekiel 37-38, Daniel 7-12, Matthew 24, I Thess. 5:1-10, II Thess. 2;1-12, I Timothy 4:1, II Timothy 3:1-5, II Peter 3:10-13, and of course, the Book of Revelation. Use reputable Bible commentaries by trustworthy and credible Bible prophecy experts, to understand these passages.
7. Recognize that God has an end time agenda. He is going to supernaturally intervene in the world's affairs and events, like He did with Noah and the flood, the deliverance of the children of Israel and the crossing of the Red Sea, and His birth, death, and resurrection.
8. Since we do not know the exact time the rapture of the Church will happen(the supernatural evacuation of all genuine Christians from planet earth), we must be prepared for anything. Even if a person believes in the pre-trib rapture, things could get really wild and difficult up to that point in time.
9. Realize that it will not be "business as usual" in the world. There will be a one-world government with a world dictator, known as the anti-Christ, who will be Satan in human flesh, and no one, no matter how well off, will be able to buy or sell without giving allegiance to him. There will be no more playing church or religion. People who refuse to give allegiance to him could face possible execution or be forced to go "underground" to avoid detection.
10. Store up Scripture, by memory, or in notebooks, just in case Bibles are taken away.