These are factors to keep in mind when making decisions about what kind of course you want to chart for your life. Although these can apply to any age, they are primarily for high schoolers and young adults, as they are getting started with life. These are tips from a senior citizen, me, who is 63 years old. Hopefully I can provide some wisdom from all of my years, to help the younger generation.
1. Assess your strengths and abilities.
2. What are some things you have always liked or enjoyed doing?
3. What are some things other people have confirmed you are good at?
These first three should include other things besides just sports, and numbers 2 and 3 could indicate things you were designed by God to do.
4. Do not enter into a particular occupation JUST because your parents expect you to. Follow YOUR heart.
5. Do not decide upon an occupation ONLY based on how well it pays. Many people do not like their occupations. You do not want to HAVE to go to work just to pay the bills. You should WANT to go to work because you love what you do.
6. Identify and utilize your spiritual gift. This is totally different from your natural or trained abilities. They are given by the Holy Spirit to each believer to help effectively advance His Kingdom and build up the body of Christ and are listed in I Corinthians 12:1-11, 28-31; Romans 12: 6-8, and Ephesians 4:11. You can also get books on the subject.
7. How will your chosen occupation impact your family life and marriage? Will the job demands result in a great amount of time away from your spouse and children? Will your job pay a reasonably good, livable wage? How much demand will there be for your line of work?
8. Make a decision to honor God no matter what you do with your life?
9. Identify and deal with any emotional and relational issues from your past and present that could interfere with your overall success in life.
10. In addition to your occupation, do something to build up and invest in the lives of other people. What do you believe is a God-given dream for your life?
Now go for it!!
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by John Clark or search for articles on the same topic or others.