In Psalm Chapter 23 God clearly defines Who He Is and the Blessings and Help He provides. This article provides a verse by verse Biblical explanation of Psalm Chapter 23. We will use the Kings James (1611 AD) version for this study.
Please turn your Bibles to Psalm Chapter 23. Please read all of that Psalm and then consider the below analysis:
1) The Lord- The God of the Bible is both "Lord (Leader, God)" and "Savior" (Healer, Deliver, Restoreer, Redeemer from sin/condemnation) (Genesis 2:4-22; Isaiah 43:3; Acts 2:36; Jeremiah 30:17; Exodus 15:26; Psalm 103:3; Psalm 147:3; 1 John 1:7-10). If we expect God to hear our prayers and help us we must have Faith and Fully Believe that He Loves Us and Can Do All Things (1 John 4:8; Hebrews 11:6; John 3:16; Philippians 2:13).
2) Is My Shepherd-God's people are His sheep and He is their Shepherd (John 10:1-4, 11). God is the Father and loves His sheep-like servants. He will provide for them and bless them (1 John 1:7-10; John 10:1-17; Matthew 6:25-34).
3) I Shall Not Want-God promises to take care of all our NEEDS. No servant of God will ever lack their Needs. Jesus encouraged His servants not to worry about physical, human, or material things. God would never fail to provide their needs (Matthew 6:25-34; Hebrews 13:5-6). There are times when God may allow His servants to experience "woes". It is during these times that God's servants must patiently wait on the Lord in Faith (Matthew 16:20-28; James 1:12; Revelation 3:10; Romans 12:12).
4) He Maketh Me To Lie Down In Green Pastures-The Bible color "Green" is the symbol for life. The Bible word "Pasture(s)" is symbolism for Paradise or God's Presence which is Heaven (Luke 23:43-46; Exodus 20:21; Revelation 2:7). Any obedient servant of God is "In The Spirit". This Spirit realm is Holy Spirit and Oneness with God. It is Spiritual Paradise (John 17:17-21; John 3:1-8; John 4:24; 2 Corinthians 12:1-7).
5) He Leadeth Me Beside The Still Waters-These "Waters" describe the Flow Of The Oness Of The Holy Ghost (Holy Spirit). This Similitude Is God's (One) Voice Of Many Waters (John 17:17-21; John 10:30-34; Revelation 14:2; Exodus 19:9-17; Revelation 19:6; Revelation 7:9-16; Daniel 10:6, 9, 15-16; Matthew 9:6; Matthew 12:8, 40; Matthew 13:41; Matthew 16:13, 27-28; Matthew 17:9; Matthew 19:28; Matthew 24:30; Matthew 25:31; Matthew 26:64; John 7:37-39; 2 Peter 1:4).
6) He Restoreth My Soul- Adam and Eve condemned the souls of humans to condemnation (Genesis 3:1-15). With His Blood our Savior Jesus Christ redeemed obedient humans from hell's condemnation. Jesus restored our souls in God's Heavenly plan for us (Romans 5:5-15; John 3:16; 1 John 1:7-10).
7) He Leadeth Me In The Paths Of Righteous For His Name's Sake-God's servants need not fear or worry about anything (Proverbs 29:25; 2 Timothy 1:7). God will not fail any of His Promises. His Holy Name Is Involved (Titus 1:2; 2 Corinthians 1:20). God will use both "good" and "evil" in your life to bring about His eternal purpose for you (Romans 8:28-34; Isaiah 45:6-7; Job 1:1-10).
8) Yea Though I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death- When God loves someone He keeps that person very close to Himself. God's Presence has always been deep, thick, dark, black, shadowy and glooms of clouds. This Darkness is where the Laws of Moses came from. This "Valley Of The Shadow Of Death" Is Very Fearful! It is God's Secret Place and God "hides" anyone He loves in this "Valley (Wilderness)" (Exodus 20:21; Exodus 20:18-21; Exodus 20:1-18; Luke 23:43-46; Revelation 2:7; 2 Corinthians 12:1-7; Psalm 91:1; Exodus 19:9-17; Joel 2:1-5; Isaiah 45:6-7; Matthew 3:13-17; Matthew 4:1-11; Mark 1:9-13).
9) I Will Fear No Evil-Yes Evil Is In God's Shadow Of Death. God Tells Humans This At Isaiah 45:6-7. You can learn more about the beasts and creatures in God's Deep Dark Sea Presence at Psalm Chapter 104. Without the Light Of Jesus Christ humans would be consumed in God's Deep Dark Presence of Holiness and Glory (John 1:1-5; Genesis 1:1-5; John 8:12; 1 John 1:5; Exodus 20:17-21; Exodus 34:5-17). Since God's obedient servants have Jesus Christ as Savior they do not fear. God is Love and His Loving Forgiveness is seen Through The Blood of Jesus Christ ( 1 John 4:8, 18; Romans 5:9; 1 Peter 4:8; Proverbs 10:12).
10) For Thou Art With Me-God's Servants need not fear or worry. God is Love and He Promises To Never Leave Us Nor Forsake Us (Hebrews 13:5-6; 1 John 4:8; 1 John 1:7-10).
11) Thy Rod-Jesus Christ said that the more fruitful (righteous) a person is the more God will discipline them with His "rod" of discipline. So don't be overly concerned if it seems like God is unjustly attacking you. This may indicate that He finds you worthy of His Divine Presence (John 15:2; Hebrews 12:5-14; Job 1:1-10; Job 2:1-10).
12) And Thy Staff- God's Staff is what he uses to guide His sheep. God's staff is God's Holy Bible and the Holy Spirit (John 14:26; 2 Peter 2:20-21). Jesus said that only people who do the will of God the Father would inherit Heaven (Matthew 7:13-29). How can you or I know God's will if we arenot regularly studying, learning and allowing God's Word (and the Holy Spirit) to lead our lives (Psalm 119:105; John 17:17; John 14:26; 2 Peter 1:20-21)? As important how can we learn God's actual will if we are using Bibles that arenot translated from the original texts of God (Revelation 22:16-20)?
13) They Comfort Me-Yes The Holy Spirit Is God's Comforter. The Holy Spirit Is Our Helper. When We Become "Born Again (and Saved)" We Become One With The Holy Spirit In Spiritual Marriage To God (John 14:16-31; Ephesians 5:24-33; Genesis 2:18-25; Revelation 19:5-21; Revelation 21:1-5).
14) Thou Preparest A Table Before Me-Very Few Of God's Servants Realize How Much He Really Loves Them. While They Overly Concern Themselves With Worries And Dissatisfactions They Don't Realize That God Is Coming In Preparation To Save Them And Bless Them (Matthew 14:22-33).
15) In The Presence Of Mine Enemies-All Of God's Servants Must Realize That It Is God Who Sends The Storms, Problems, Afflictions And Enemies Into Your Life. Without The Preparations That These Enemies Perform There Would Be No Way That God Could Bless You With Your Heavenly Mansion(s) And Table(s) (Of Righteousness) (John 19:14-16; Job 1:1-10; Job 2:1-10; Matthew 14:22-33; John 14:1-31; John 15:1-5; Matthew 4:1-11; Romans 8:28-32; Matthew 16:20-28; Psalm 119:67, 191; Psalm Chapter 17).
16) Thou Anointest My Head With Oil-This Is Bible Symbolism For The King And Priestly Office That All Heaven Bound Christians Hold. This Anointing Of Oil Is The Holy Spirit (Revelation 1:5-6; Exodus 19:6; Revelation 20:4, 6; Matthew 25:1-22).
17) My Cup Runneth Over-All Servants Of God Should Avoid Looking At Their Human And Earthly Circumstances. They Must Continually Look At God (In The Spirit). This is The Way That They Will Receive Abundant Blessings On Earth And In Heaven (Matthew 14:22-33; John 4:24; John 3:1-8; John 14:4-7; Matthew 19:27-30).
18) Surely Goodness And Mercy Shall Follow Me All The Days Of My Life-Because of the Blood of Jesus Christ We are Fully Forgiven. We are friends with God the Creator and He loves us. There is nothing Satan and any evil can do to stop us from ruling in Heaven for Everlasting Life (John 3:16; Romans 5:9; 1 John 4:8; 1 John 1:7-10; John 15:14-15; John 17:17-21; Psalm 23:4; Colossians 1:12-29; Colossians 2:8-10, 12-17).
19) And I Will Dwell In The House Of The Lord Forever-Anyone who is obedient to the Bible's God will dwell with God in Heaven for Eternity (John 15:7-27; Matthew 7:13-29; John 3:16).
David Loved To Praise God And David Was Always In God's House (The Church). God Rewarded David's Praising Love By Making David King And Placing His Very Own Son Jesus Christ On David's Throne For All Eternity (Psalm Chapters 145-150; Psalm 133:1; Psalm 122:1; Hebrews 10:24-25; Matthew 1:1; Matthew 9:27).
We are thank-ful for Psalm Chapter 23 as it fully explains God's purpose for believing humans to rule in Heaven with Jesus Christ.
This article can be fully edited and utilized as long as credit is given to its author (Gary Colin).
Read more articles by Gary Colin or search for articles on the same topic or others.