Spiritual Adrenaline Volume 1, issue #2
This entry is dedicated to all of the youth back at my old stomping grounds, Union Evangelistic, stay Fired UP!
You know…I can’t begin to count for you how many times I’ve heard a well meaning older…whoops I mean “seasoned” adult lauds young people and then says something to the effect of, “They are our future/church of tomorrow/leaders of tomorrow,” you get the point. This may be a news flash for some of you, we young people, (I’m only 27 so yes I still count), are not interested in waiting until “tomorrow”, which as we all know is “church speak” for years and years from now when I am no longer able to function in my current role in ministry and am probably watching ‘Matlock’ on repeat. We want a place in the church NOW! We are past the new car smell of youth choirs, youth Sunday’s (No different from any other Sunday really, youth just get to sing and read the announcements, exciting right? Yes I’m being sarcastic) praise teams, drama groups, or dancers. We want to be policymaking, church house shaking, jailhouse wrecking soldiers in the army of the Most High God!
Seems like the right time to interject the good book (Bible) in our discussion. It is chalk full of examples of young people who performed mighty acts, such as…
1. A little boy by the name of Samuel whom God called thrice in the middle of the night.
2. A young boy who would become king of Israel and order all temples for idols destroyed at the completely pure age of 7 by the name of Josiah.
3. Another boy king who began ruling at the age of 8 by the name of Joash.
4. A fresh faced teenager by the name of David, who not only killed a lion and bear, but also slew a 9ft. giant with some rocks and slingshot. (Don’t try that at home by the way…)
5. A teenage girl is visited by an angel, “Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.” The girl’s name? Mary, who birthed a popular fellow by the name of Jesus, who’s resume includes items such as creation, mercy, grace, goodness, salvation, nothing too serious right? Speaking of…
6. A 12-year-old boy lost from his parents for 3 days after the Passover, only to be found in the temple, doing “His Father’s business,” his name? Moses? Noah? Nope, Jesus Christ Himself!
So to ALL Church leaders who may read this blog, I speak for every young person who loves the Lord when I say we are not interested in sitting on the sidelines watching while you have all the fun! We are not interested in waiting until you are no longer able to serve for our turn, because let’s face it, by that time we’ll be old, um,“seasoned,” too! We want in the game! We want to preach! We want to preach! We want to sing! We want to lead! We are talented and gifted, capable and able, bold and courageous, anointed and appointed to do God’s work! To those of you who work with young people in your church who are “old school” and think young people are to be seen and not heard? My advice? Quit! Like seriously, before you even finish reading (If you haven’t already)! I don’t mean to offend, but this isn’t 1962 when you walked to school barefoot in 12 feet of snow and you liked it (My father tried this once, but he grew up in Arkansas…); It’s 2012 baby, get the updated software! We don’t pen letters we write emails! We don’t dance The Stroll, The Twist, The Mash Potato, The Monster Mash, The Popcorn, or the Funky Chicken! Notebook means computer to us! We use things like Twitter, Imgur, Xanga and Facebook! (Well, until everyone decided to have a Facebook, then we created dummy accounts so you couldn’t track our every move, whoops, did I give that away?) Youth now are opinionated and thoughtful, and we want to be validated, made to feel important, made to feel special. You know why? Because Youth aren’t the church of tomorrow, next week, next year, next second, next minute, we are the church of now! Right Now! Holla at Cha’ Boy!
Want to Shout Amen? Want to Complain? Follow me on twitter @RevRjj25, or email me email@example.com!