There’s another Title and Job description given to us by Jesus about the Holy Spirit’s mission in the life of believer’s. He’s here to HELP us (John 15:26/16:7 NKJV, NAS). Hi, I’m going to continue on the topic of the Holy Spirit.
The New King James and New American Standard Bible’s describe the Holy Spirit as the HELPER.
The Amplified Bible gives us—Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Advocate, Intercessor, Strengthener and Standby) (John 15:26/16:7)
The New International Version says, Counselor (John 15:26/16:7).
Bible translations are geared at giving us the best description based on our English vocabulary we speak today. It’s not trying to confuse us or throw us off track. However, if we do a careful reading of the Scriptures above and below the Title of HELPER or COMFORTER in John chapter 15 and 16; We will arrive at a clear meaning of why Jesus called the Holy Spirit a Comforter (KJV, AMP)—or—Helper (NKJV, NAS).
Jesus was with His disciples on the way to the Garden of Gethsemane and He spoke about various topics;
1. Jesus spoke about the Vine and Branch concept-His relationship to them (John 15:1-11)
2. Jesus then spoke about the Love concept the relationship they had to develop with each other and their relationship toward God (John 15:12-17)
3. Then Jesus speaks to them about their encounter with the people of the world who would not receive their message and go on to hate them and persecute them (John 15:18-25)
4. After the sweet and bitter teachings Jesus had to give them a sense of confidence by saying; But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of Truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me. And you also will bear witness, because you have been with Me from the beginning (John 15:26-27 NKJV)
The Helper-Comforter Greek Parakletos
In chapter 15, alone there is so much to be absorbed, understood and experienced that Jesus knew they were not able to accomplish such a walk of Faith if it’s not with the Power of the HELPER or COMFORTER. There are many Christians trying to force themselves to be good Christians by following rules and regulations outside of the Holy Spirit’s HELP and COMFORT. There are many Christians worn out, beat up, and uncomfortable with the way they are living their lives.
The reason for the lack of success that Christians are experiencing is because they never sought the POWER of The HELPER or COMFORTER to assist them to accomplish all of their daily duties and activities. God desires to be involved in every little detail of our lives.
Help Us Holy Spirit
When we get up every morning-after we wash up and get dress we should seek God in prayer to refresh us with His Power to:
1. Bear good fruit-Godly character (John 15:1-11); Because, He’s the Vine and we are the Branches.
2. To release an Anointing of fresh Love to love our family, friends, other believers, co-workers, neighbors and those who are lost so we can be witnesses to them (John 15:12-17 NKJV)
3. Then ask Him to release a special Anointing of Comfort to tolerate the hatred, and persecution we may encounter (John 15:18-25 NKJV)
We take too much upon ourselves each and every day. I know we like to be strong and self-sufficient. We don’t like to bother God for small things. We think we can handle the kids, put up with our spouse or throw them out the house, and argue with our co-workers and slap them silly if they get out of line (Sometimes in thought more than action) LOL. And after a few days, weeks or months we find ourselves worn-out, stressed out and we wonder why? We are missing the opportunity to tap into the POWER of God thru Prayer.
The Comforter is Waiting
The Holy Spirit is not going to force us to live holy, we must submit to Him to lead us into a lifestyle of holiness—not like the religious leaders of Jesus’ day, but the level of righteousness that we will be challenged in our hearts to live out. In other words, when it’s time to do what is right at home, at school, at work, at the mall, at the park, the beach or wherever we are—if we fail to do it that’s when we will have this gut feeling that we missed it. Guilt and condemnation kicks in and a sense of failure begins to dominate our thinking. If we are spiritually sensitive to this we will pray God forgive me prayers at the end of the day.
The Comforter is there to console you at your worst moments and failures if we invite Him to. I remember so many times I missed it got upset and spoke harshly or unwisely in retaliation to someone’s attack or false accusation or because they thought they can speak to me any way they want to. Only to regret that I didn’t handle it professionally or like a Christian should’ve. The Holy Spirit would come in and Comfort me and then show me where I missed it and if I had to apologize I would ask Him to setup a time and place to do it and I would go ahead and make things right.
So why are we holding back? Why do we think God is not concern about the little things? How come we choose to do things our way? Jesus said the COMFORTER—HELPER is here for our everyday practical living situations. John Chapter 14 is for the Greater Works-Miracles, Sings and Wonders. John Chapter 15 is everyday practical living as Christians. So whether you desire to be used mightily in either area of Christianity—we need the HELPER-or-COMFORTER to do. Amen
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Manuel Vargas or search for articles on the same topic or others.