“Keep me as the apple of Your eye; Hide me under the shadow of Your wings.”
This message is from the heart of our loving Father who longs to put His arms around you and shield you from the dangers and the stresses of this life. He sees your distress and discouragement. He knows what you have been going through. Today He promises to pick you up and carry you!
The “Apple of the eye" is an old English term for the pupil of the eye, the clear part in the center where light and sight enters. As a term, it generally refers to something precious and delicate which needs protection. Eyes are probably the most sensitive part of the human body. They react to too much light, to dust and certain chemicals, which is why God has provided protection to these soft and delicate tissues through the eye lids and eye lashes. Nobody would willingly injure their own eye, and we would all attempt to shield our eyes if faced with an unexpected danger.
Deuteronomy 32:9 says “For the Lord’s portion is His people; Jacob is the place of His inheritance. He found him in a desert land and in the wasteland, a howling wilderness; He encircled him, He instructed him. He kept him as the apple of His eye.” Friend, when we first experienced salvation in Jesus, most of us were a mess, a desert land, a wasteland, and a howling wilderness! We were lost in sin and far from God. We were unproductive and unfruitful for the Kingdom or the King, living futile lives and crying out for the love of a Father we did not know. But He reached out to us. He surrounded us with His amazing love and cleansed us in the precious blood of Jesus. He filled us with His Spirit and started a new work in us. He has begun to teach us how to be the sons and daughters of a King, living in the fullness of His unconditional love and acceptance.
Psalm 17 was written by King David when he was going through difficult times, surrounded by enemies, and daily walking on a knife edge, with his life in great danger. However, he cried out to God and said “Keep me as the apple of Your eye, hide me under the shadow of Your wings.” In the face of considerable enemy activity and threats on his life, he knew that there was only one source of protection and covering he could count on, and that was the mighty hand of the heavenly Father. He knew God’s hand would shield him tenderly as though he (David) was the apple of God’s eye. David was a worshipper who loved the Lord. He had no doubt that when He sought the Lord in worship, God would hide him in His presence. (Psalm 91:14: “He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in Him I will trust. Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the perilous pestilence. He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge.”) These words of Psalm 91 create an evocative image of a baby bird well protected under the large wing of its parent.
Please hear what our Daddy God has to say to you today:
1) If you are just about to step into a new season or a new venture in your life, know that God’s hand is upon you. You have nothing to fear because Abba guards you as the apple of His eye. He will never leave you nor forsake you. He will be close by your side as you step into this new beginning. He has awesome plans for you!
2) If you have been experiencing enemy activity or betrayal in your place of work or in your relationships know that the Lord has got you hidden in the shadow of His wings. He has delivered you from the snares in your path, and hidden you from the cruel words of those who spoke against you. His love covers you. He is your safe refuge. Fear nothing for He is with you!
3) If you are someone who often feels alone, lost and cut off from the crowd, the Father says to you today that you are never alone when He is with you. You are the apple of His eye. He holds you in His hands. He loves and cherishes you. He protects and encircles you. Nothing can separate you from His love. Draw nearer to Him and He will draw nearer to you. He thinks you are a beautiful and valuable treasure in His sight!
4) If you have been walking through a season of sickness, disappointment or heartache, the Lord would have you know that He is turning things around. Expect changes, expect a total turnaround! He says to you from Psalm 30:5 that “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning”. Even as you have continued to hope in the Lord and seek His face, He is doing wonderful things in you! David says at the end of Psalm 17 (verse 15) “As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness”. You are being changed into His image and likeness. You are being transformed into His beauty and His righteousness, hallelujah!
5) If you have been living under a weight of condemnation and in sadness that you have failed God, He would have you know that you are fully forgiven through the blood of Jesus, and no less precious than you ever were. You are still the apple of His eye! He is the God of multiple ‘second chances’! His arms are drawing you close as you open your heart and give Him thanks.
God the Father says in Zechariah 2:8 “for he who touches you touches the apple of My eye”. Let no one try to harm the apple of God’s eye! “No weapon formed against you shall prosper, and every tongue which rises against you in judgment you shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is from Me,” says the LORD.” (Isaiah 54:17). Those who come against you enter a losing battle – they are contending with the Almighty! (Psalm 35:1)
Friend, receive the assurance that your Daddy God is on your side and fighting on your behalf. Rest in the knowledge that He loves and cherishes you and is concerned about every smallest thing that concerns you. His hand is upon you and His protection covers you. You truly are the apple of His eye!
Minoli Haththotuwa, 14 May 2012