No matter what, no matter where, it’s always home if love is there
I had the privilege of attending a praise and worship evening one evening at church. It was amazing. Afterwards the people shared some thoughts. The one that stood out quite a bit was the one about going “back to the basics”.
We always refer to the heart putting our hands physically on our hearts when we talk about love. Get a picture of that image in your mind before reading the rest.
1. Why do we go to church? Because the bible says we have to?
2. Why do we sing praise and worship songs? Because we feel an emotional high?
3. Why do we do things for other people? Out of obligation, because it is the right thing to do?
4. Why do we give money to the church (in whichever form)? Because it is stipulated in the bible?
5. When you are upset with someone what is your first reaction? To have a hefty conversation with them (whether in your mind or face to face)?
When was the last time you simply reacted and did any of the above things just out of a deep love for God and because you really feel you want to? Not because you have a sense of obligation.
Why do something if you don’t mean it? Think about it. If someone is in your presence and you tell them “I love you”, they are going to know whether it comes from the heart or whether it is just lip talk. God is always present.
He wants us to be in a relationship with Him. Not just a regular relationship, but an intimate one. If your heart is not in the right place how can you be in a close relationship with someone? How can your relationship with that person grow if you do not put everything you’ve got into it?
We really need to get back to the basics of what God is all about. Love and heart.
So, why not approach all of the above differently:
1. Why do we go to church? Out of love for God.
2. Why do we sing praise and worship songs? Out of love for God.
3. Why do we do things for other people? Out of love for God.
4. Why do we give money to the church (in whichever form)? Out of love for God.
5. When you are upset with someone what is your first reaction? Put your hand on your heart and ask God to channel His love.
Imagine how much more we can do in God’s kingdom if we put our hearts into it. All the other things we need to do to achieve that will automatically follow!! It will be so much easier loving other people. Everything will come naturally.