God, and His Word, is the basis for absolute truth. If our worldview does not agree with the Bible, it is not the Bible that needs to be revised. Our worldview must be reinterpreted to line up with God’s standard. Josh McDowell writes:
If there is an ultimate absolute that determines the shape of our lives…it is perilous to ignore it. To do so would put us out of alignment with the way the universe is set up. If an ultimate absolute exists, we will find it impossible to build a stable life on any other foundation… (Josh McDowell and Thomas Williams, In Search of Certainty, Tyndale House Publishers, 2003. p. 21)
We must realize that our thinking and reasoning capabilities have become distorted by sin. Only a personal relationship with God will enable our reasoning functions to operate as God intended.
• “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever!” (Psalm 111:10)
• “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.” (Proverbs 1:7)
• “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.” (Proverbs 9:10)
• “The fear of the LORD is instruction in wisdom, and humility comes before honor.” (Proverbs 15:33)
The Bible tells us that a person whose mind is concerned with worldly things cannot fully understand the things of God.
• “The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.” (I Corinthians 2:14)
This does not mean that a non-Christian cannot know any facts, but it does mean that they have the wrong worldview by which to evaluate those facts. Every aspect of life takes on its correct meaning as we see it through a mind redeemed and repaired by God. Then, only by looking at life through the lens of biblical truth can we be certain we are seeing it correctly. The difference in our views on creation/evolution, morals and ethics, and a myriad of other issues, depends on whether or not we judge things by God’s firm standard or by our own ever-changing ideas.
Humans can know truth. There is a standard which we can turn to for absolutes. The Bible contains the very foundation of all truth. However, one can only fully understand these truths when they have entered into a relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ.
• “So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”” (John 8:31-32)
• “Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” (Colossians 2:3)
It is every sincere Christian’s hope that unbelievers will seriously consider the truth claims of the Bible and realize that God loves them enough to send His Son to die on a cross for their sins.
The message of the Bible is summed up in the most recognized verse of all time:
• “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)
All Scripture quotations are from the English Standard Version of the Holy Bible.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Robert Driskell or search for articles on the same topic or others.