Heidelberg Catechism 12th Sunday Question 31 Why Is He Called Christ, That Is, Anointed?
by Carlton Pruitt
Free to Share
Author requests article critique
Free to Share
Author requests article critique
This catechism was written by Zacharias Ursinus (1534-1583) and Caspar Olevianus (1536-1584) in Heidelberg, Germany and published in 1563 in German. It was endorsed by the Synod of Dort and embraced by Reformed Churches in many different countries. It is the custom of many churches that use it to explain it from the pulpit every Sunday, so it is divided into fifty-two sections.
This is March 18, 2012, the 12th Sunday of the year so according to the Heidelberg Catechism those using this educational tool or help would focus on questions 31 and 32 below. First the question is given and then a well worded answer with scriptures as proof texts to support the answer.
I hope this material proves to be a blessing to you.
31. Q. Why is He called Christ, that is, Anointed?
A. Because He has been ordained by God the Father, and anointed with the Holy Spirit, to be our chief Prophet and Teacher, who has fully revealed to us the secret counsel and will of God concerning our redemption; our only High Priest, who by the one sacrifice of His body has redeemed us, and who continually intercedes for us before the Father; and our eternal King, who governs us by His Word and Spirit, and who defends and preserves us in the redemption obtained for us.
1) Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God even thy God hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows. Heb. 1:9.
2) The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken. Deut. 18:15
For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. Acts 3:22.
3) No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him. John 1:18.
Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. John 15:15
4) The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek. Ps. 110:4
(For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him. The Lord sware and will not repent; Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedek). Heb. 7:21.
5) Much more then, being justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. Romans 5:9,10
6) Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill Zion. Ps. 2:6.
And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end. Luke 1:33.
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All pwer is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Matth. 28:18.
* The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek, he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn. Isa. 61:1,2
* Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, shoujld live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. 1 Pet. 2:24.
* And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS, Rev. 19:16
32. Q. But why art thou called a Christian?
A. Because I am a member of Christ by faith and thus share in His anointing, so that I may as prophet confess His Name, as priest present myself a living sacrifice of thankfulness to Him, and as king fight with a free and good conscience against sin and the devil in this life,  and hereafter reign with Him eternally over all creatures.
1) Acts 11:26; 1 John 2:20, 27;
2) Acts 2:17
3) Mark 8:38
4) Romans 12:1; Revelation 5:8,10; 1 Peter 2:9 Rev. 1:6
5) 1 Timothy 1:18-19
6) 2 Timothy 2:12; Ephesians 6:12; Rev. 3:11
Carlton Pruitt ministers the gospel to the Los Angeles area. Formerly a Hollywood actor (SAG member)and junk removal expert he now spends most of his time studying the scriptures, writing articles, hymns and poems and doing street preaching. See his videos on www.YouTube.com. Type in LAStreetPreacher in the search bar. CONTACT at Carlton2061@gmail.com
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR, LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
Read more articles by Carlton Pruitt or search for other articles by topic below.
Search for articles on: (e.g. creation; holiness etc.)Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
NEW - Surprise Me With an Article - Click here for a random URL
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.