The Apostle Paul said that the Holy Spirit is on earth inside every Born-again believer around the world BEARING WITNESS to our human-spirit that we are the children of God (Romans 8:16 AMP). Hi, we are picking Ėup from where we left off in my last article about what Jesus said concerning the Ministry and operation of the Holy Spirit. Jesus said the Holy Spirit will TESTIFY about Him (who Jesus is to the believer) (John 15:26).
Paul wrote a letter to the Christians at Rome and shared the same thing about the Holy Spirit assuring us that we are the children of God.
Testifying is bearing witness to something that is true and when we are called upon to TESTIFY in court of law we are to tell the truth-the-whole-truth-and-nothing-but-the-truth. Of course, in the court of law thatís not always the case; people have been known to lie under oath. However, to make this point a lot clearer to the believer and more practical in understanding how the Holy Spirit will TESTIFY or BEAR WITNESS to us about who is Jesus. We need to go back to what Jesus and Paul were saying.
Jesus and His Disciples
Jesus spoke to His Disciples about the Topic of;
1. The Vine and the branches (John 15:1-11)
2. The love we must demonstrate to other believers (John 15:12-17)
3. The hatred and persecution we will encounter (John 15:18-25)
4. Then Jesus said the Holy Spirit will TESTIFY of Him (John 15:26)
5. And we will BEAR WITNESS of who Jesus is (John 15:27)
The Holy Spirit granted me revelation of how to explain this Topic of TESTIFYING by pointing out;
1. How Jesus TESTIFIED to Nicodemus about the Born-again concept 3 times and Nicodemus was lost and Jesus said to him you do not receive OUR WITNESS (John 3:11)
2. Then how Jesus explained to His Disciples that the Holy Spirit will TESTIFY to them about the nature and character of who Jesus is (John 15:26)
3. And How Paul mentioned that the Holy Spirit has been TESTIFYING through other believers in every city he visited that chains and tribulations await him (Acts 20:22-23)
TESTIFYING the 4th Meaning
Letís now go into the 4th meaning or process of how the Holy Spirit TESTIFIES to us. Paul said; the Spirit Himself [thus] TESTIFIES together with our own human-spirit, [assuring us] that we are children of God (Romans 8:16 AMP). Paul was writing a long letter to the Christians in Rome, and in order for us to understand why Paul made this statement we must go back to Romans chapter 7, verse 14.
The Christian Struggle
Paul was sharing how he struggled with sin working in him. By saying that the things he wants to do he canít do and the things that he doesnít want to do he finds doing them (Romans 7:14-20).
Some Theologians say he was talking about someone else. Others say he was sharing an analogy. I believe and scripture declares that he was talking about himself. I can prove this by sharing the scriptures above and below these verses in Romans chapter 7. However, Paul clearly brings out the point of (The Conflict of the two Natures).
Paul said, so I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me (Rom. 7:21 NIV)
For in my inner being (human Born-again spirit) I delight in Godís law (Rom. 7:22 NIV)
But I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members (Rom. 7:23 NIV)
The simplicity of understanding what Paul was saying and connecting it to the teaching of the Holy Spirit TESTIFYING to us is this;
1. Our human Born-again spirit wants to serve God (verse 22)
2. Mentally Paul sees that he has other desires that are contrary to serving God. And itís trying to drag his thinking to imagine evil things and consider on doing those things (verse 23)
3. Physically he has desires that want to do ungodly things (verse 23)
The Holy Spirit told me to explain it this way. Imagine the game we play Tug-of-War at school with a rope. We usually have two teams made up of 5 or 6 people on each side and theyíre holding a very thick rope. Thereís a red flag tied on the middle of the rope and two lines drawn in the sand in front of each team. The team that gets to pull the red flag over their line wins the Tug-of-War.
We have; Human Born-again spirit<--------------The Mind------------>The body (Physical ungodly desires). Depending how strong either side is they will pull on our minds to do either good or evil. Our Born-again spiritual nature always wants to do good when our physical desires wants to pleasure in everything that maybe sinful.
Our physical bodies arenít evil in themselves but we are so in-touch with this physical world and the pleasures of wanting everything and anything at will with no godly discipline will takes us to a place where it becomes evil such asóillicit sex, drug use, abusing alcohol, over-eating, dressing skimpy like call girls or male porn-stars etc. the list of evils is endless.
But the point of understanding the struggle between the two natures and the availability to do something about it is what Paul wanted us to get a hold of. We must identify a problem before we deal with it.
So how is this connected to the Holy Spirit TESTIFYING to us? Iím glad you asked.
Life in the Spirit
Paul did not share the struggle of sin and left us there to figure it out on our own. No, Paul said, there is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit (Romans 8:1 NKJV).
Paul brings it home with a powerful point of reality that we donít have to remain in a guilty state of mind emotionally when we recognize the struggle we are encountering as Christians, because we could remain unfruitful of walking the Christian walk of faith.
There are Christians right now that are struggling with evil thoughts of wanting to have sex with anybody, or mentally making plans to get twisted or drunk, or do some other crazy stuff that they used to do in the past. And they seem to be stuck in that frame of mind. However, Paul gave us a solution by saying,
1. Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; (Romans 8:5a NIV)
2. In the first part of verse 5 in Romans chapter 8, we see the key of why we may continue to do sinful things because we set our minds to want to do them. This is not difficult to understand itís very practical as Paul made it clear. When we set (make up our minds about having sex with Tony, Tina or whoever he or she may be) we will have on the hot outfit, the plans to meet and the place to have sex already planned out. Then we make the call and fall back into the same-old-same-old rut. And after the encounter we despise ourselves for falling into the same mess.
3. In the Second part of verse 5 in Romans chapter 8, we read the flip-side; Paul said, but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires (Rom. 8:5b NIV).
4. Our minds should be set or made-up to say no to drugs, sex, alcohol and any other thing thatís ungodly. Easier said than done right! Okay, Paul gave us tip of how to effectively do it.
The Holy Spirit Gives Us Life
The Holy Spirit gives us godly life to live a godly lifestyle. I wrote 3 articles about (Praying to know Godís power and the Dimensions of Godís power parts 1&2), in these articles I briefly pointed out how the Holy Spirit can Quicken us, Revive us, or give us the physical power to live a godly lifestyle.
Paul said, and if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit, who lives in you (Romans 8:11 NIV).
The key is tapping into this by prayer which I made clear in my previous articles I recommend that you read them to get a clearer picture of how-to-pray about this as David had prayed in Psalm 119.
I pray like this Father, quicken me, revive me, and make me alive from the sinful passions that want to dominate me. Quicken me from beholding vanity from desiring that girl or guy to want to sleep with them. Make me alive from wanting to drink like an alcoholic and abuse the drugs that will distort my senses in Jesusí mighty name.
When we make this prayer with a sense of passion in wanting to serve God, the power of the Holy Spirit will fall upon us (like if we walked into a hot steam-room) we will feel refreshed and empowered to go on in the strength of the Lord to live a godly lifestyle at that moment. Because those who are led by the Spirit of God are the sons and daughters of God (Romans 8:14 NIV).
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Manuel Vargas or search for articles on the same topic or others.