17 important women in the Bible
by Shaila Touchton
Free to Share
Author requests article critique
Free to Share
Author requests article critique
SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE
HIRE THIS WRITER
1. Mother Mary: She was Mother of Jesus Christ and hence she was a Mother of God. Because of her virtue, humbleness, obedience and purity she was the only woman above all women chosen by God to become the mother of Jesus and she is the only woman spoken in both Old Testament and New Testament which makes her special.
2. Abigail: She is the woman of integrity, beautiful and wise woman who was married to Nabal, a harsh and evil man. This wise woman became wife to David after Nabal's drunkenness led to his own death. When David proposed marriage, "she quickly went with five damsels" to become his wife.
3. Deborah: She was a wife of Lappidoth and was a prophetess and the only female judge of Israel.
4. Priscilla: was a wife of Aquila and she was a Worker in Christ and gifted by God in the ministry of the word and Risked her Lives for the Gospel. Her involvement with Paul must have helped her get rooted in the word.
5. Anna: was an elderly widow by the time Jesus was presented at the temple. She was called a prophet and became the first person to publicly proclaim that Jesus would be the redemption.
6. Bathsheba: is one of the maligned women of the Bible linked with adultery and murder, was part of our Lord's heritage.
7. Delilah: who uses her feminine qualities to deceive and destroy a man and was responsible for Samson’s downfall.
8. Hagar: is a Sarah’s slave-girl .When Sarah found herself unable to have children, she arranged to make Hagar the concubine of Abraham, to start a family through her as a result she shared the same promise of Ishmael’s descendants.
9. Hannah: She Was Provoked By Elkanah's 2nd Wife, Peninnah, Because She Was Not Able To Bear Children And Peninnah Had Sons And Daughters. She prayed fervently that God would give her a child and went to the house of the Lord. The priest there "marked her mouth" and thought she was drunk but in time she gives birth to Samuel the Prophet. They are of the tribe of Ephraim, and only the Levites were allowed to be priests.
10. Jezebel: daughter of Ethbaal, the king of the Sidonians, and the wife of King Ahab of Israel is the most notorious evil woman in the Bible. She was an evil woman who killed many prophets of God while feeding and caring for the prophets of two gods called Baal and Asherah. In the end, she was eaten by dogs as Elijah had prophesied.
11. Leah: was the wife of Jacob, the firstborn daughter Laban and the sister of Rachel. Leah is the mother of Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar and Zebulun - the progenitors of 6 of Israel's 12 Tribes .She is also the mother of Israel's only recorded daughter, Dinah . When Leah died, she was buried in the family tomb in Hebron, known today as the Tomb of The Patriarchs.
12. Rebekah : she is a Wife of Isaac -Sarah’s son, and mother of Esau and Jacob. Through her son Jacob, who God renamed Israel, she is an ancestor of all of The Tribes of Israel, including Judah therefore also an ancestor of Jesus Christ.
13. Ruth: Her first mother-in-law is Naomi, but her second is Rahab who marries into the tribe of Judah, and bears a son named Boaz. Naomi planned that Boaz should marry Ruth. She was favored by God, and she became an ancestress of King David and of Jesus through an illustrious marriage. The story of Ruth beautifully illustrates the conversion of a non-Israelite into the fold of Israel, giving up her former god and former life to unite with the household of faith in the service of the God of Israel.
14. Sarah: Her original name was Sarai. The Lord renamed her Sarah after she had married Abraham. When Abraham and Sarah remained childless into their old age, Sarah took it upon herself to have children through a surrogate, her Egyptian handmaid Hagar. So Sarah was 90 and Abraham 100 when Isaac, the son of their own flesh was born. Hence she is a Mother of Isaac.
15. Sapphira: was the wife of Ananias. They were both members of the early Christian congregation at Jerusalem. Their deception and cunning brought about their deaths. Two of the members of this group were Ananias and his wife, Sapphira, who also had sold a field. But the profits from this sale were kept in part by the couple, and only a part was laid at the apostles’ feet by Ananias. This hypocritical show fooled no one, especially not Peter who was filled with the power of the Spirit. Peter knew instantly that Ananias was lying not to him, but to God and exposed his hypocrisy then and there. Ananias fell down and died .When Sapphira showed up, she too lied to Peter and to God, saying that they had donated the entire proceeds of the sale of the land to the church. When her lie had been exposed, she fell down and died at Peter’s feet. God was making a statement with Ananias and Sapphira that hypocrisy has no place in the church. God hates sin and will punish it, and that He is concerned for the purity of His church.
16. Martha: she is a sister of Mary and Lazarus who lived in Bethany. She is the one who met Jesus at the tomb of Lazarus. When Jesus and his disciples visited Martha’s house, she treated Jesus with good hospitability.
17. Miriam: she is the prophetess and older sister of Moses and Aaron. Miriam was with Moses throughout the nine plagues. Miriam died and was buried at Kadesh before the Israelites entered The Promised Land
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR, LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
Read more articles by Shaila Touchton or search for other articles by topic below.
Search for articles on: (e.g. creation; holiness etc.)Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.