8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed ; and he went out , not knowing whither he went . 9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: 10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God. 11 Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age , because she judged him faithful who had promised . 12 Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead , so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable. 13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. 14 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. 15 And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out , they might have had opportunity to have returned . 16 But now they desire a better country, that is , an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.
1) What did Abraham do by faith (v.8)?
2) Where did Abraham dwell because of his faith (v.9)?
3) Why did Abraham live as he did (v.10)?
4) What did Sarah do by faith (v. 11)? What miracle happened because of her faith? (v.11)
5) What did Abraham and Sarah believe about God and what was the result (v. 12)?
6) How did Abraham and Sarah die (v. 13)?
7) What were Abraham and Sarah seeking (v.14)?
8) What might Abraham and Sarah done if they had thought about the land of their fathers (v.15)?
9) What has God prepared for Abraham and Sarah (v.16)?
1) What impossible situation are you facing in your life?
2) What worldly pursuits are you willing to forsake to receive the promises of God?
3) What are you hoping to receive from God as a result of your beliefs?
4) What are followers of Jesus Christ considered to be in this world (see v. 13)?
1) Faith is our willingness to obey God even when we donít know what Heís doing!
2) Eternal gain often requires forsaking temporal pleasures!
3) Believers are strangers and pilgrims on this earth, for this earth is not our eternal home!
Read more articles by Roxie Rogiers or search for articles on the same topic or others.