The Evangelistic Gift Part 1
by Manuel Vargas
Free to Share
Author requests article critique
Free to Share
Author requests article critique
SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE
HIRE THIS WRITER
The Evangelistic Gift (Part 1)
I thank God for allowing me to return with another article. I was directed to share the topic of the Evangelist so that we may have a thorough walk-thru into this fascinating subject. I would like to share that I acknowledge all areas of missions and out-reach ministries who dedicate their time, life and resources to the preaching and teaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I salute you for your bravery and passion continue in the ministry and may God continue to bless you.
The Word Evangelist
The bible mentions the title ďEvangelist,Ē 3 times.
1. Luke wrote that Paulís company arrived at Philip the Evangelistís houseÖ(Acts 21:8)
2. Paul outline the Ministry Gifts in Ephesians 4:11; And He gave some, apostles; and some prophets; AND SOME EVANGELIST; and some, pastors and teachers;
3. In Second Timothy 4:5, Paul told Timothy, who was a pastor, to do the work of an EVANGELIST.
4. The meaning of the word EVANGELIST is: One who brings the evangel (the good news); a messenger of good tidings.
I would like to point out that the bible is every clear about titles, names and classifications of whoís who. We can improperly call someone an Evangelist without having the scriptural support to prove that this person we see on the street corner whoís preaching is actually an Evangelist, but it still doesnít change what scripture says plain and simple.
Luke wrote that Philip being one of the 6 chosen Deacons was an Evangelist (Acts 21:8). This is not to say Paul and Peter werenít doing the work of an Evangelist. However, Philip was classified as an Evangelist. Philip graduated from being a Deacon to being an Evangelist.
The point is that we need to define things in scripture as plain as the writer makes it and not go off using scripture unwisely or in error of the original definition intended. Many people are doing elements of the work of an Evangelist on a small scale like giving out tracts, bibles, sharing the gospel and praying for people to be saved and I commend all of you for that but being biblical an Evangelist is a ministry gift given by Jesus Himself (Eph.4:11). I say this with all respect and Iím not trying to offend anyone. Iím simply defining what scripture had already defined.
This does not mean that God cannot save a person by way of someone giving them a tract. I was saved thru reading many tracts and I bowed my knees and prayed the sinnerís prayer and cried like I never did in my life privately in my room and was born-again December 28, 1991.
However, when we biblically consider the office or ministry of an EVANGELIST, we need to understand it as Luke mentions it and as Paul clarified it as being a ministry gift. Not everyone has the calling to be an EVANGELIST.
But you can share what you know and help people be saved. I did this as soon as I was saved or born-again. I sent tracts to everyone I knew and a few were saved praise God. But I didnít move under a powerful anointing like Philip the Evangelist with miracles, signs and wonders, and healings (See Acts chapter 8).
However, later on in 1993 and 1994, after helping many receive Jesus a their Lord and Savior for 2-3 years God began granting me dreams and visions of my calling to become a powerful Evangelist with the miracles, signs, wonders, and healings.
The Ministry of an Evangelist
You see, every time we read about the life and ministry of a certain Man of God in the book of Acts we will first hear about their beginning and then their promotion later on in the same book or some-where else in scripture. This is not to embarrass or belittle anyone who is right now giving out tracts on the street corner or on the subway.
The point of teaching in great detail about the gift of an Evangelist is designed to engage the reader to consider that everything pertaining to ministry is accomplished by stages and phases. And we are to dissect it, rightly divide it, and properly teach it. Philip was first chosen to be a deacon in Acts chapter 6. About 15-20 years later we read that Luke classified him as an Evangelist in Acts 21:8. However, letís consider his Evangelistic ministry.
In Acts chapter 8, we read about Philipís Evangelistic ministry.
1. Philip went to the city of Samaria and Preached about Jesus Acts 8:5.
2. The people listened to Philip, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did v.6
3. For unclean spirits, crying with a loud voice, came out of many who were possessed; and many who were paralyzed and lame were healed v.7
4. And there was great joy in that city v.8
This is how an Evangelist ministers with powerful signs, wonders and miracles and healing then Philip baptized them in water. The simple message Philip preached was Jesus Christ. The entire story of this great Evangelistic ministry is recorded in Acts 8:5-13.
Clear and Practical Teaching
There may be some of you from different denominations reading this material and I would like to clarify the ministry of Philip with the Doctrines of Baptisms. Philip did several things led by the Holy Spirit here in the city of Samaria that set the pattern for Evangelism that we need to look deeper into.
1. Philip preached Christ. He preached about Jesus plain and simple so the people may understand the message. He didnít scream or yell or say 1 or 2 words and yell out glory Hallelujah! Any preacher should be fully aware of how they bring across the message.
In June of 1996, I went to a bible study once and the Pastor had received several requests by different members who desired to teach bible studies. So the Pastor said okay he broke down the methods of teaching and allowed each man 15 minutes to see what they could bring forth. Two men taught they shared a few words and said ďYou know what Iím sayingĒ after each sentence. One guy said it 39 times I counted it in 2 minutes. The other guy said it 45 times in 1 minute. I was shocked that these men wanted to become bible teachers right then and there. We need to be ready for ministry by studying and not be put to shame (See 2 Tim.2:15)
2. Preaching about Jesus is so vast that we need to understand that various topics has to be mentioned; Topics of Salvation, Healing, and Miracles are among the main subjects of presenting Jesus as the person who provided these things that we can experience.
People did not believe in Salvation alone, they had to hear the healing part of the gospel as well as, how Jesus actually performed the miracles He did. This was all included in the message that Philip preached as well as Peter and Paul (See Acts 10:38-43 Peter preaching to Cornelius) (Paul in the city of Damascus trying to convince the Jews that Jesus is the Messiah Acts 9:19-22).
3. Demonology is another subject (in the future we will share this topic) but we need to see that it is also included in the Evangelist message. So common biblical sense tells us we must be well taught on these subjects: Salvation, Healing, Miracles, and Demonology or like Paul convincing people that Jesus is the Messiah if youíre preaching to a Jew. This is far more than giving out tracts. So a biblical Evangelist is on a very high-level of ministry this should not discourage you but encourage you to realize what it takes to be trained to be a powerful Evangelist.
4. Notice the approach Philip had He preached Christ, people believed and he prayed for the sick they were healed and ministered deliverance demons were cast out. Then they were baptized in water. This is the pattern of ministry. You donít baptize in water first then preach Christ. One must first believe and be Born-again then they qualify to be baptized in water thatís what happened in the city of Samaria and on the road to Gaza with the Ethiopian eunuch (See Acts 8:12-13/26-40). We must follow the same pattern of ministry. Peter and Paul did (Acts chapter 10 and 19:1-12)
In my next article we will continue with the Evangelist Ministry. May God bless you to receive revelation of this teaching so it may inspire you to move into this gift and be effective for the kingdom of God on earth in Jesusí name, amen.
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR, LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
Read more articles by Manuel Vargas or search for other articles by topic below.
Search for articles on: (e.g. creation; holiness etc.)Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.