“Then Jesus said to His disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek His kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.” (NIV)
When Jesus shared this message with His disciples, He was addressing the concerns they had about their provision and their appearance. However, because these same principles are applicable to every aspect of life, today we also focus on these verses of scripture in terms of healing. It is clear from the words of Jesus that worry achieves nothing. It is destructive, a hindrance, and a distraction from the good news that Jesus came to give life and give it more abundantly (John 10:10). Jesus said that nothing can be changed by worrying (except for our own state of mind, which becomes filled with anxiety, instead of the peace of God.
Friend, I want to share with you something I learnt from the Lord. Whenever we think we experience a symptom of some sickness, we (consciously or unconsciously) expect it to progress into something worse, or the next stage, and we worry about it, meditate on it, until we receive it before it was ever manifested in our bodies. Most times, the symptoms are just a lying spirit trying to make us believe we are falling sick or experiencing an old disease we used to have. When we acknowledge it, think about it, speak about it, and step out to take medication for it, we have taken all the steps of “negative faith”. Just as our faith and corresponding actions can bring the manifestation of our healing, the opposite brings about the manifestation of the sickness which was not really present to start with!
Too many people believe that God gives us sickness and pain to teach us something. This is another lie from hell! There is no sickness in Heaven, and Jesus gave His life to pay for all our sins and sicknesses (Isaiah 53:5), so it would be impossible for the Lord to give us what He does not have! No earthly parent would simply hurt their child to teach them something! How much more tender and compassionate is our Heavenly Father! If we could know and believe that our Daddy always wants to heal us, and see us walk in health and joy, then we would feel free to lift up our hearts and hands and say “heal me Lord”.
We can apply this Word to every area of our lives, having the confidence that Daddy does not want His kids in poverty, sickness, defeat, or living in conflict with others. We could worry about all the possible things that might or might not happen to and for us, and how sick we could be, but at the end of the day, there is only one way, and we are given it in Proverbs 3:5-8: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh, and strength to your bones.” Let’s take these verses apart:
1. Trust in the Lord. It may feel more natural to trust in the doctors, the internet, the newspapers or our friends, but God is challenging us today to begin to walk in faith – to trust Him, the One who is the source of all wisdom and knowledge, and who knows what the future holds and prepares us for it. This means keeping our eyes on Jesus and His Word even when the physical signs point to something different or distressing.
2. Do not depend on your own thoughts, responses and wisdom. In Isaiah 55:8-9, God reminds us that His thoughts are much more reliable! “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways, says the Lord. For as the Heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.” Our Daddy is the creator of millions of galaxies, and the ruler of all the universe. He is trustworthy. We can depend on Him!
3. In all your ways acknowledge Him. Remember to include the Lord in your daily life – to start with Him and end with Him. He wants to be a part of your going out and your coming in, and in the center of everything you do. The wonderful thing about always acknowledging the presence and authority of Jesus in your life is that He will direct your way. He will be there to guide you when you are not sure of the way ahead. In Isaiah 30:21, God says: “Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, ‘This is the way, walk in it,’ whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left.”
4. Do not be wise in your own eyes. This is really speaking about humility. It would be a sad day for us if we ever came to a point where there was nothing more to learn from anyone else. As believers in the saving grace of Jesus and the love of the Father, God calls us to trust in His supernatural wisdom, instead of our own finite brand.
5. Fear the Lord and depart from evil. The fear of the Lord keeps us within the safety of His Word and gives us the power to overcome temptation and the attacks of the evil one. This means we acknowledge the Lordship of Jesus and seek to submit to Him in every aspect of our lives.
6. Recipe for health! It looks like Proverbs 3 contains the divine recipe for good health! Trusting God and depending on His wisdom and strength to walk His way daily seems to be the way to have health and strength!
Dear friend, there is really no point wasting any further thinking time over the issues you have been grappling with, or the health situation you are concerned about. No matter how bad it may seem to you today, it is not too big for our Big Daddy God to handle! He has promised that when you make Him a priority (seek Him and His Kingdom first) then, everything else will fall into place. As Jesus says “Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes”. The physical issues of this earthly life are just for today and tomorrow. There are eternal things which Jesus is asking us to seek and focus on, which will be our blessing forever. Today’s text tells us that whatever your present need, your heavenly father knows that you need it. Therefore, instead of being anxious and focusing on your need, focus on the Lord who loves you so much and wants to bless you and give you the best. Seek Him from the depths of your heart and worship Him for who He is, and see the amazing results.
We can take a lesson from the birds Jesus speaks about here. They enjoy the lives they have been given and enjoy each other. They know their creator has them covered! So precious child of the King, decide today that worrying is not for you. There is nothing you can change by being anxious and anticipating the worst. That is the lie of the devil. Instead, claim the word of God for your life and prosperity. Feed yourself with it. Declare it aloud. You are healed by His stripes (Isaiah 53:5), you are His treasured possession (Deuteronomy 26:18), you are the blessed of the Lord (Psalm 115:15), and no weapon formed against you shall prosper (Isaiah 54:17). Just as our Daddy God looks after the birds of the air and the flowers of the field, He wants to fill your life with His healing, provision, protection and Presence. He has good plans for you! (Jeremiah 29:11). Paul wrote in Philippians 4:6 & 7: “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
I feel the Holy Spirit saying to some of you precious ones reading this message, that your days of anxiety are over. As you stop worrying and start trusting in the Lord and declaring His Word, He is opening doors for you that you could have never opened. He is sending angels to help you. He is causing your body’s cells to align with His Word and you are receiving His healing grace! God is moving on your behalf!
May you walk in His peace, joy, victory, and in His healing grace, in Jesus’ name, Amen!
Minoli Haththotuwa, 03 October 2011
Read more articles by Minoli Haththotuwa or search for articles on the same topic or others.