GIFTS FOR EQUIPPING OTHERS
"[God gave spiritual gifts] to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ" (Ephesians 4:12-13 NIV).
"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen (1 Peter 4:10-11 NIV).
God endows people with different kinds of talents, ability, and spiritual gifts. Why does He give these different kinds of spiritual gifts? Are they primarily for selfish interest? Are they for cheap popularity of the particular local church or the person that has them?
Ephesians 4:12-13 gives five main purposes for spiritual gifts:
1. To prepare God's people for service;
2. To make the body of Christ (i.e. the saints) grow;
3. To unify them in the faith and knowledge of Jesus Christ;
4. To make them mature in Him; and
5. To make them attain the whole measure of Christ's fullness.
Other Bible passages enumerate other reasons:
1. For the common good of the saints (1 Corinthians 12: 7);
2. To serve others (1 Peter 4: 10); and
3. To give praises to God (1 Peter 4: 10-11).
For what purpose are you using the gifts of God in you? Though we often become fulfilled when we use our God-given gifts, God, the Giver, ultimately should take the credit. We should thank Him for making us channels of blessings to others.
In His service,
Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor).
This message was first sent out on January 11, 2004.