A Teenís Ten Commandments To Parents
A Teenís Ten Commandments To Parents
1. Iím just as tall as you are in many instances but I still need and want your help and guidance to be the adult you are.
2. My eyes and ears have not seen and heard the world as yours have. Please let me explore it safely. Donít try to protect me from everything. I know more than you think. Just donít communicate with me INTERACT with me. That is, let me talk too! I can tell you a great many things. Just let me, please!!
3. Earning money and getting me and the family things are really nice but I really want your time, you and your unconditional love. Stuff you can get later and comes and goes but your unconditional love will remain with me forever! I wonít be a teen too much longer. Soon Iíll be on my own. So take time to explain to me this wonderful world and do so willingly. Iíll love you for it!
4. Iím a special gift from God and He donít make no junk! Please treasure me, hold me accountable for what I do! I wonít like it at first but in time Iíll understand that you did it because you love me and Iíll love you for it for the rest of my life!
5. I need your encouragement and your praise. Go easy on the criticism. Daddy tell me about boys if Iím a girl. And daddy even though Iím a teen, a girl still wants and needs a hug and kiss from you and to hear that Iím your princess. Daddy teach me how to be a Godly man if Iím a boy. Teach me how to treat girls and women in a Godly manner. Mom tell me about girls if Iím a boy. And mom even though Iím a teen, a guy still wants a hug and kiss from you and to hear Iím your young knight. Mom teach me how to be a Godly woman if Iím a girl. Teach me how to act and treat boys and men in a Godly manner. Let me see how you love each other unconditionally. That makes me feel so good!!!
6. Please teach me about sex, unconditional love, how to manage my money and behave myself in a Godly manner. Iíd rather hear these things from you. I like the personal touch. And please donít be scared! But if you are Iíll understand because Iím scared too!
7. Please give me the freedom to make some decisions concerning myself. That doesnít mean doing what I want. I still need your help. Permit me to fail so that I can learn from my mistakes. Then in a few years, Iíll be prepared to make the kinds of decisions life requires me to make.
8. If you make a really big mistake and it involves me, youíll be 100 feet tall in my eyes if you admit the mistake and apologize. If you donít apologize, it will be a mistake Iíll remember forever hurting my relationship with you. When I was younger, you could do no wrong but Iím older now and people make mistakes and Iíve learned that apologizing is good for the soul and relationships.
9. Know that rules without a relationship results in rebellion. And that rebellion will be towards you, other people, God and society. You are Godís representative on earth and what you do gives me a little idea as to what God is like even though I know you arenít perfect!
10. Just donít tell me about God and His existence. Remember most of what I learn is not taught but caught from what you do. Please go with me to worship services regularly and often. Set a good example for me to follow and I will never depart from God and His love.
©Stephen A. Peterson, 2004
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR, LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
Read more articles by Stephen A. Peterson or search for other articles by topic below.
Search for articles on: (e.g. creation; holiness etc.)Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.