I am pleased to send you Planned TV Arts April/May Tip Sheet.
I hope to see many of you at BEA in Chicago on June 4,5, and 6. If you haven't
signed up yet you can go to www.bookexpoamerica.com.
Also-a reminder- you might want to come to our Pre BEA Book Publishing Seminar in
Chicago on June 1,2 and 3. Check out our site at www.publishingseminar.com
It is 3 full days of great speakers for only $197. More on that below.
NOTE: I hate spam. If you don't want to get my newsletter in the future just
click on the link at the bottom of this newsletter and you will never get
anything from us again. Thanks - Rick
Now - Here is our Tip Sheet- Enjoy
PLANNED TELEVISION ARTS – TIP SHEET
QUOTE OF THE MONTH
“We had an unlimited budget and we exceeded it.”
--Jay Chiat (advertising guru)
If you’ve got a great quote you want to share send it to us at
The only thing worse than saying something you regret is writing something you
regret. How many times have you wished that you could retrieve or edit sent
emails? Even emails that have already been opened? Well, there is a new program
out there that can change the face of digital communication, and its called
Bigstring. The service converts e-mails to HTML documents and stores them on a
secure server. Recipients receive a message with an embedded link that connects
to that secret Web page. Since mail stays on the server, senders can access their
messages to edit or erase them. http://www.bigstring.com/ lists the full
capabilities of the program as well as offering a free ten-day trial.
Ever had that dream where a choir sings your praises? Or how about an anthem in
your honor? Well, it’s all possible now, for a fee. PAMS Production Inc., the
country’s oldest radio-jingle syndicator, now writes “Personal Cuts”. You can
choose the length of your song, beginning at 20-second spots and have
professional songwriters and studio session singers get to work on your “Personal
Cut”. These cuts can be used as answering-machine greetings as well as welcome
tunes to your personal Websites. Check it out at www.jingles.com
Have a last minute business trip? Need to get away for just a weekend?
www.Travelzoo.com caters to procrastinators, emergencies, and impulsivity.
TravelZoo will create a personalized list of the top 20 last minute getaways from
your area and will email it to you at the beginning of each week. TravelZoo can
help you plan all of the details of your trip in the most economical way. The
Website lists the best deals on both national and international flights, hotels,
car rentals and cruises. The Website is user friendly, divided into clear and
BEA PUBLISHING SEMINAR
JUNE 1,2 and 3 in Chicago
Want to make serious money in the publishing business? The vast majority (99%) of
authors make less than $50,000 a year. This is the seminar to show you how to be
in the other 1%!
Tired of going to events lead by the "old guard" of our industry, with tired
ideas and concepts that haven't kept up with the times? Frequently, presenters
aren't given enough time to get their information across to the group. Not so
here. You'll get so much immediately useable, profit-making information at this
event it will make your head spin! This 3-day extravaganza is strictly for those
who consider the publishing business, a BUSINESS. And, the goal of a business is
the maximization of revenue and profits. For more information or to register, go
Who: Jerry Jenkins, Rick Frishman, Paul Hartunian, Alex Carroll, Fred Gleek,
Phil Huff, Perry Marshall, Shawn Casey,Steve Harrison and Armand Morin
When: June 1,2,3 2004 in Chicago, IL
Where: The Congress Plaza Hotel & Convention Center
800/635-1666 or 312/427-3800 or email@example.com
Put in “PUBLISHING SEMINAR” and get a special rate of $119 a night for 5/31
6/3. After that if you stay for BEA the rate is $129 a night for up to 2 people
*********** Register at www.publishingseminar.com **************
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY
Here’s a sampling of our latest bookings:
Independent Nation by John Avlon (Harmony Books)
CNBC, “The Dennis Miller Show”
C-SPAN, “Book TV”
CNNfn, “Morning News”
Better Nutrition Magazine
On Value & Values by Doug Smith (Prentice Hall)
Las Vegas Review-Journal
TIPS FROM THE TOP: Our Monthly Advice Column
In Praise of E-Mail: 15 Reasons Why Guerrillas Love E-Mail
1. E-mail is efficient. It’s quick, easy to use and conserves time.
2. E-mail gets through. You can reach busy, powerful people who won’t ordinarily
take or return your phone calls via e-mail.
3. E-mail has become the publicists’ most powerful tool. Sending short, gentle
reminders helps publicists balance the need to continually follow-up and the
danger that in doing so they might alienate important media contacts.
4. E-mail gets right to the point. E-mail etiquette encourages brevity and
5. E-mail allows for Quick, Clear Messages.
6. E-mail can contain links to your website or other sites.
7. E-mail lets you transmit bulky files instantly.
8. E-mail delivers even when unread. When recipients don’t read their e-mail,
they usually check to see what came in and who sent it. The subject line on
e-mail inboxes provides a small space in which you can convey the gist of your
message. It keeps you on the recipients’ radar, even if they don’t open your
9. E-mail eludes electronic fences. E-mail gets past secretaries, answering
machines, voice mail.
10. E-mail is a versatile marketing tool. It’s ideal for sending newsletters,
fliers, and other promotional materials without incurring the costs of printing
11. E-mail domain names can promote your business. Invest in a domain name that
includes the name of your business.
12. E-mail signature files are the equivalent of letterheads on stationary.
Make sure to include your contact information in your signature file.
13. E-mail demonstrates that you’re firmly in the 21st century.
14. E-mail shifts the cost and burden from senders to recipient.
15. E-mail has revived the lost art of letter writing.
An excerpt from the National Bestseller GUERRILLA PUBLICITY: Hundreds of
Sure-fire Tactics to Get Maximum Sales for Minimum Dollars by Rick Frishman, Jill
Lublin and Jay Conrad Levinson.
LOOK WHAT'S COMING UP
We’ve gone back in time and reprinted in this e-mail months we’ve covered before
because they’re closer to today. These are dates that just might relate to a
Morning Drive or Satellite TV Tour topic:
· May Your Reading be a Haven Month
· 1st- MTV Premier: Anniversary
· 1st-World Wide Web Anniversary
· 2nd- Declaration of Independence: Official Signing Anniversary
· 5th – “American Bandstand” TV Premier
· 6th – National Fresh Breath Day
· 9th –11th – Blue Grass Festival
· 9th – Birthday of Whitney Houston (1963)
· 15th – National Relaxation Day
· 26th – Women’s Equality Day
· 27tht –Birthday of Mother Teresa (1910)
· 31st – National Story Teller of the Year Contest
· Be Kind to Editors and Writers Month
· 5th- Anniversary of Babe Ruth’s First Pro Homer
· 6th –Labor Day
· 8th- “The Oprah Winfrey Show” TV Premier
· 9th- 9/11 Day of Remembrance
· 13th- International Skeptics Day
· 15th-21st–Build a Better Image Week
· 16th – Rosh Hashanah/Jewish New Year
· 17th- National Football League Formed
· 20th- Office Olympics
· 25th-First American Newspaper Published
· 26th-First Televised Presidential Debate
· Gay and Lesbian History Month
· 6th– American Library Association Founding (1876)
· 7th- Women’s News Day
· 9th – Birthday of John Lennon (1940)
· 9th-National Bring Your Teddy Bear to Work Day
· 11th-Columbus Day
· 12th- International Moment of Frustration Scream Day
· 14th-20th-National Health Education Week
· 16th- Anniversary of the Million Man March
· 22nd-Holy See: National Holiday
· 23rd- TV Talk-Show Host Day
· 31st-First African American Plays in NBA Game (1950)
One final tip. One of my best friends is a fellow named Dr. Paul Hartunian.
He is one of the most amazing PR gurus in the world! Paul literally sold the
Brooklyn Bridge! (Long story... ask him) He has a free newsletter that you should
all get. (By the way - he is also speaking at our seminar in Chicago.)
Here is information on how to get his newsletter....
Sign up for his free ezine at http://www.Hartunian.com/ezine
Till next time....
See you in Chicago!
212 593 5845
Please feel free to forward our monthly e-zine to your friends and colleagues.
If you are not on our e-mail subscription list and would like to be please e-mail
me at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added. Thanks!
If you no longer wish to receive communication from us:
To update your contact information:
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Rick Frishman or search for articles on the same topic or others.