The Pursuits of David
Psalm 42v2 “My soul thirsts for God, for the Living God. When shall I come and appear before God.”
Psalms 63- A PSALM OF DAVID. WHEN HE WAS IN THE DESERT OF JUDAH
O God, You are my God, earnestly I seek You; my soul thirsts for You, my body longs for You, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen You in the sanctuary and beheld Your power and Your glory. Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You. I will praise You as long as I live, and in Your name I will lift up my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise You. On my bed I remember You; I think of You through the watches of the night. Because You are my help, I sing in the shadow of Your wings. My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me.
Matthew 6v33 “Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness…”
• God is looking for a church that can become desperate for Him. Only God Chasers can become God Catchers.
• We need to stroke the hunger and passion for God, satisfied hunger will always return in greater strength; yet unsatisfied hunger rages at first and grows fatally weak and compliant.
The whole mandate of this message is that we should make God our priority and the centre of our attraction. A God Chaser:
1. Loves God above all else
2. Seeks more of God
3. Will always find God
By the end of the message I want to stir up 3 things
1. A genuine desire for God
2. A meeting place with God
3. An opportunity for a God encounter
Scripture tells us about the life of David. He was a man whose heart was after God. Even in the tough times we find him looking for God more than anything else. As a Church we need our lives to be conditioned in the same manner so that God can become the focal point of our lives.
Purpose of the Pursuit
• Our pursuit must look at crowning God as the Sovereign King
- The Self Governing One, A One Man Government
- The 24 elders crowned Him Lord and gave Him the ascendancy
- God is the centre of attraction, all else becomes secondary
The Response of Pursuit
• God is available and found of those who seek Him
- “If you seek Him, He will be found by you” 2Ch. 15:2
- Is. 55:6 “Seek the LORD while He may be found; call on Him while He is near.”
- Desperation can be an admirable trait if what you are desperate for is more of the LORD. And prayer that comes from the desperation of our hearts carries with it the fervency God loves.
The Privilege of the Pursuit of His Presence
• The place of secrets
- Desperation is the doorway to divine encounters for everyone who calls on the Name of the LORD. God responds to desperation
- Paul in the Third heavens 2 Cor 12v1-4
- David in Psalm 84 longing for the courts of God
- John on the Island of Patmos
The Power of His presence
• Transformation and revival
- Once we passionately pursue God revival is birthed in us. Only the passionate and the inspired dare to become carriers of the Fire of God’s revival
- Just one radical God Chaser can change the atmosphere of the Church. Elijah changed the order of worship in a kingdom stricken by false worship
The Process of His Presence
• The restoration of His will
- The Lord’s Prayer says, “Thy will be done…”
- God’s original plan for the Church will be seen and the Church will cease to be an organisation but a living organism that can affect its surroundings.
- God placed us here as a Church to spread His kingdom
- The parable of the Mustard Seed
The Character of Pursuit/ Pursuer
• A pure heart
- Ps. 15:1 “LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary? Who may live on your holy hill? He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from his heart…”
- Moses asked God to show him the Glory. God said to Moses, You can’t Moses, only dead men can see My Face.” Fortunately Moses didn’t stop there, unfortunately the Church did. 1500years later on Mt Transfiguration, the dead man saw the glory of God
The Result of Pursuit
• The restoration of the Glory
- In the Tent of David we see that raw hunger for God signaled the return of Divine Glory to Jerusalem. King David’s ability to orchestrate corporate hunger in the form of continual worship and prayer in that unwalled Tabernacle kept the Glory there.
- For 36 years the Glory of God was seen by everyone- worshippers, passersby or heathen, Unhindered worship created unhindered view
A God Chasing Church will soon find itself embraced by a Sovereign Glory that will usher her to another level.
David- The Pursuer
A man who set a standard of worship that we are striving to match. H went places in the spirit we only dream about. David so passionately loved and longed for God before the birth of Christ and the finished work of the Cross that his holy heartache moves and motivates us today. His secret:
1. He was teachable
- In the wilderness behind the scenes God was putting stuff into him. When all shunned shepherding, he was ready to learn how to pastor, how to worship and how to fight lions and bears
- As a soldier he learnt the strategy of warfare from God. It was not reliance on horses or chariots but on the God of War Baal Perez.
- As king he learnt how to honor higher authority and learn from it
2. He was passionate
- Passion drives pursuit
- Ps. 27:4 “One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek Him in His temple”
- Ps. 84:2 “My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the LORD; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God”.
- Psalm 69v9 “For zeal for Your house consumes me…”
3. He had a vision
- He wanted God’s glory to be the mark of His reign
- He brought the Ark Home. All the days of Saul, the Ark was away from the capital. It was in Kiriath Jearim 20 years till David brought it home
- Ps. 132:8 “Arise, O LORD, and come to Your resting place, You and the ark of Your might.”
4. He was persistent and consistent
- He never stayed out of track. Even with the sin of Bathsheba he returned to God
- God describes him as, “`A man after My Own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.’ Acts 13v22
5. He was able to keep God near
- Ps. 51:11 “Do not cast me from Your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.”
- He was able to access grace all the time. He sought a dwelling place in the LORD.
- Ps. 23:6 “Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.”
If you pursue His Heart in passionate hunger, your words of desperation have the power to capture and corner His Heart. In that moment the Pursued becomes the Pursuer and the God Chaser becomes the God Catcher. As a Church we need to learn that God does not hide so that He cannot be found. He is very careful to hide so that He can be found
PLEASE ENCOURAGE AUTHOR,
LEAVE COMMENT ON ARTICLE
Read more articles by dumi nkomo or search for other articles by topic below.
Read more by clicking on a link:
Main Site Articles
Most Read Articles
Highly Acclaimed Challenge Articles.
New Release Christian Books for Free for a Simple Review.
NEW - Surprise Me With an Article - Click here for a random URL
God is Not Against You - He Came on an All Out Rescue Mission to Save You
...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them... 2 Cor 5:19
Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through
Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Acts 13:38
LEARN & TRUST JESUS HERE
The opinions expressed by authors do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FaithWriters.com.
||15 Jan 2011
TRUST JESUS TODAY
Free Audio Bible
500 Plus Languages
Faith Comes By Hearing.com