As one really deeply studies the book of First John it points out indications of true salvation. Remember, these are not WORKS to obtain salvation but rather results FROM salvation. And they are not all manifested at once. This is a life time process of "working out one's salvation" as we are told in Philippians, by God's grace and under the power of the Holy Spirit.
Here are ten evidences of true salvation:
1. You will walk in the light. (1:6)
2. You will practice righteousness. (3:10) This means you will have an attitude of wanting to do what is right in all situations and with all people. Ask yourself the question: "What would Jesus Do?"
3. You will love others. (4:8,14-15, 18-19)
4. You will neet your neighbors' needs if you have the ability to do so. (3:17) Who is your neighbor? Anyone with whom you come into contact who exresses a need. In this verse is a phrase, "closing our hearts." What does it mean to close one's heart toward a person's neeed? I believe it means to drum up excuses for not helping him or her. This verse says we are not to do that.
5. You will confess Jesus as the Son of God in human flesh. (2:22-23; 4:2-3,15 and 5:10-13)
6. You will experience victories in your life. (5:4)
7. You will have confidence before God at His coming again (3:2),in your prayer life (3:19-22; 5:14-15)and in the Day of Judgment. (4:17)
8. You will have greater understanding. (5:20)
9. You will not desire the love of the world, the lust of the flesh and eyes, nor have a boastful pride of life. This means having moral purity. (2:15-16)
10. You will have a desire to obey God's commands.
Read more articles by John Clark or search for articles on the same topic or others.