My soul cleaveth unto the dust: quicken thou me according to thy word.
• The psalmist is saying his soul is attracted to the dust or the ground.
• The word “heart” is a word describing the operation of the soul; it is the heart being attracted and the recipient of the effects of this attraction.
• The word quicken means to live or revive, so it may be surmised that the cleaving to the dust produces the opposite of life ,which is death.
• The psalmist suggests he needs Gods help to resist this attraction to the dust.
Why Is The Soul (Heart) Cleaving To The Dust?
In order to answer this question we must follow a biblical explanation describing our makeup.
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:
As God is a three part entity (Father, Son, Holy Ghost), man to is identified in three parts:
1 Thessalonians 5:23
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Spirit and Soul and Body.
The origin of these three parts helps explain their influence on each other.
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
When man was created, God breathed the breath of life into a body to which He had formed from the earth. Man than became a living soul. Here is mention of a three part being. A spirit which is the life in Gods breath. A body formed from the dust of the ground. And a soul which became as the breath within the life of God was being breathed into the body.
Direction of The Soul
The Soul is connected and influenced by the two entities used in its creation. The life within Gods breath which is our spirit. Secondly, that which God formed from the dust which is our body.
Influence of The Body
Through the gateway of our body, or “flesh” comes material attractions and influence derived from the ground. This gateway is that through which we exercise “self control” by choosing the elements of the earth in an attempt to satisfy desires. These desires need spiritual gratifications to which natural elements cannot fulfill. Additionally, these elements of the earth are temporal and so they can only offer temporary gratification.
• The number one search on the internet is in the area of pornography. The body or flesh is the gateway for which the soul finds this influence.
• Fasting causes the bodily, or fleshly, gateway to the soul to be interrupted. This is a result of “denying the flesh” which results in enhancing the influence of the spirit. It may be said that the activity of fasting increases spiritual awareness.
Influence of The Spirit
Through the gateway of our spirit comes our interest in the paranormal and all manner of unexplained phenomenon. A practical example of this influence is realized when we pass a car accident. We all experience a strong desire to discern if the occupants are seriously injured. This curiosity may be identified in an attempt to discover if anyone has been killed. The reason for this intrigue is because death is an event that is shrouded in mysteries we don’t understand. These mysteries are those that are spiritually resolved.
• Our spirit is the most important thing about us and it’s the thing we know the least about.
• Our spirit is our life force and when it is gone we no longer hold residence on planet Earth