Editor’s job is a great acrobatic walk between the writer and the readers. Writer’s job is over with his writing. But the editor has to scrutinize it and judge if it will be appealing to the beneficiaries and bring out the results his editorial responsibility/In the modern electronic era it has become more complicated and tiresome. In the words of Robert Heinlein “it is cutting away the fat to improve the manuscript”
Seven Key Tasks of an Editor
1) The editor, with his vast experience, has to revise and improve the text keeping in his mind the three aspects- content, language and style. His approach should suit the knowledge level of the readers.
2) The editor may have to face the worst situation when he reads through a piece and come away with the feeling that something is wrong, even though he is unable to pinpoint the exact reason for it. In such a case, he may need to rewrite a huge chunk of text over numerous areas.
3) Polishing the work, all while retaining the original writer’s voice, can turn out very difficult in such situations.
4) Though eliminating errors in spelling and grammar can be carried out easily with the help of computer, making the matter concise, simplifying the structure, ensuring accuracy and removing rambling sentences need the editor’s attention.
5) The editor has to be very careful to use the best mode of communication, such as text, charts, tables, diagrams, etc.
6) The main task of an editor is to scrutinize and analyze the feedback from all angles and rectify the mistakes that might have occurred.
7) The editor can positively encourage the writer by sharing the feedback and his editorial experience which the writer may be lacking.
Editor’s task is very important since writers like Truman Capote “believe more in the scissors then they do in the pencil”