Mark 10:17-22 describes an encounter between Jesus Christ and a rich young man.
The rich young man ran up to Him and asked the most important question of his life: "What must I do to inherit eternal life?"
After being convinced that he had obeyed all the commandments, Jesus broke through his pride: "One thing you lack", he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me" (v. 21).
How did the rich man react to this answer?
"At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth" (v. 22).
Like the rich young man, you may have been obeying the laws, doing good, giving to the poor, praying and reading your Bible, and paying your tithes faithfully.
Despite these, you feel a spiritual loss; you are lost in darkness and God is missing in your life.
"One thing you lack ...". You lack a relationship with God. You lack Jesus Christ in your life. You lack eternal life.
"And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life" (1 Jn. 5:11-12).
Eternal life does not lie in good works, but in Jesus Christ, who is the only way of salvation.
"And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" (Acts 2:21)
"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12)
We receive eternal life not because of our efforts at living godly or religious lives. Salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ (Eph. 2:8-9).
Do you lack that "one thing"? Do you need Jesus Christ in your life? Did you say yes? Say this prayer of salvation:
Dear Lord Jesus,
I admit that I am a sinner and that my good works cannot save me. I repent of my sins and I ask you to come into my heart and be the Saviour and Lord of my life. Thank you for saving me and giving me eternal life. Amen.
Heaven is rejoicing over your new birth in Christ Jesus (Lk. 15:7). In order to grow in your walk with God:
1. Develop a daily intimate and personal fellowship with God through a consistent and constant prayer life, reading and meditating on His word, and obeying His will.
2. Join a Bible-believing church and fellowship with other Christian brethren (Heb. 10:25).
3. Testify of Godís love and grace upon your life to others.
4. Meditate on things that are pure (Phil. 4:8).
5. Expect difficult moments but persevere to the end (Mt. 24:13). Jesus never promised a challenge-free life, but His grace is sufficient to see you through it all (Heb. 4:14-16; Jude 24). Amen.
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW