• Working from your home there are HUGE tax advantages! Things like technology, vehicle use, long distance and a portion of your home operating costs can often be deducted.
• Meetings are largely unnecessary. What are we really accomplishing when we gather, eat donuts, read from an agenda and banter about the thoughts we discussed at the last departmental meeting? Seriously, do you remember the last time that actual ACTION was taken at a meeting?
• EVERY day is casual Friday! Guess what?! No one cares what you’re wearing when you are working from a “virtual office.” Sometimes pantyhose just don’t FEEL productive!
• We are more effective without a cubicle. When you are comfortable in your environment...you will perform better.
• “Making a living” is NOT the same as “making a life!” Imagine setting your ideal schedule; prioritizing your tasks; achieving personal goals; enjoying more quality (& quantity) time with your family and friends… NOW, THAT’S LIVING!
• You are Responsible for Your Own Income! ...If YOU own the business, YOU determine how much you make (or don’t make). This can be thrilling or terrifying, depending on how you look at it.
• Gas, Childcare, Dry-Cleaning and Eating Out are gobbling up your paycheck! (Do I even need to expand on this one?) What is REALLY left of your wages when you subtract childcare, fuel, increased auto insurance, wear & tear on your vehicle, lunches out, office gifts, takeout for dinner and dry-cleaning the wardrobe you are required to wear?
Close your eyes and visualize this…walking to work by way of your own coffee pot instead of Starbucks…in your favorite at-home clothes…ready to tackle your priority list without the interruptions of last night’s virtual reality show re-cap, water cooler gossip or the latest office drama….Imagine lunch with your spouse, child or favorite gal pal!
Could you get excited about actually enjoying the home that you are spending so much money on? (Ironic that our mortgage is often our largest expense and we have to work so many hours AWAY from it to pay FOR it!!
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Freda Douglas or search for articles on the same topic or others.
Freda, you just described my life for the last 20 or so years.
The positives definitely outweigh the negatives, but there are some downsides as well. One is that people (including your family) tend to forget that even though you're at home, you are working. It can take quite a lot of juggling to get the balance right as far as making the most of the freedom of working from home, while not being swamped with all the daytime errands and domestic chores just because you're the one at home. After all this time, I'm still learning to set boundaries, but I wouldn't change it for anything.
Great article, and I love the title. Deb (FaithWriters.com & Finesse Editing.)