HIV virus is mainly of two types namely HIV-1 and HIV-2 which are further divided into sub-categories. Although it a known fact that HIV is a first stage to the deadly disease called AIDS or Acquired Immune deficiency syndrome. What most of us don’t know is that there is a time gap between HIV infection and appearance of antibodies.
This time gap between the infection and the appearance of antibodies is commonly known as ‘window period’ and apparently this is a critical period in the life of HIV person as this is period when the risk of viral infection is very high.
It has been proven that there are both medical as well as public health benefits in an early diagnosis of HIV status. Medically one of the benefits is that if an individual is aware of his or her HIV status then a timely antiretroviral therapy can increase the time before the appearance of antibodies. Since they are aware of their status they even get help from various social workers who help them live longer.
Although people who are aware of their HIV status are sexually active, however they will be more careful in indulging in sexual activity partner rather than someone who is unaware of their status. Apart from the above benefits here are some of the other benefits of early diagnosis:
1. If the person is staying in a country where there are chances of contacting HIV virus – then early detection gives extra years to the person before they get AIDS, as they start taking anti-retro viral medicines early on, which helps in delaying the onset of AIDS.
2. If a person is in abusive relationship then early diagnosis gives them a choice to have better life. However, it is another matter that a person in abusive relationship needs more courage to even come out and acknowledge their HIV+ status.
3. Early diagnosis helps preventing high mortality rate. In African countries where every single mother is prone to be HIV+ early diagnosis helps them to have a baby who is not HIV+ and thus can fulfil their dream of having a healthy family life.
4. Early diagnosis helps prevent the frustration since health workers or doctors prescribe medicines which helps a HIV+ person live a near to normal life and carry on with whatever they want to do in their lives.
5. Early diagnosis helps person to be more careful in their lives as even common cold to prove fatal to them. Although being HIV+ does not mean that you have AIDS however a person still needs to be careful for the reason that the body is already weak and any sickness which is considered non-threatening usually can prove dangerous for a HIV+ person. Hence they need to be extra careful which is only possible if a person is aware of his or her HIV status.
6. People having multiple sexual partners can reduce the spread of the virus by getting themselves diagnosed early in life and can also help themselves by contracting any other disease that can prove fatal to them.
7. Early diagnosis will also guide them about the virus and what all activities can prove fatal to them and others around them. Like a HIV+ person should be more careful about any cuts or bruises on their body as even that can prove dangerous for them. Apart from this they should be more particular about cleanliness – keep nails short and tidy among other things to enjoy their life like normal healthy person.