While on a short visit to Cana of Galilee, our Lord Jesus honoured an invitation to a wedding ceremony, during which His first recorded miracle, (as chronicled by Apostle John Mark), took place. There are some vital, (even though latent lessons), which we can glean from that short visit. Some of these lessons are quite distinct from their literal and contextual significance. Can you identify them in the following questionnaire?
Text: John 2:1-11
1 Was it merely coincidental that wine ran out on this particular occasion? (Choose one correct answer below)
a. It was purely coincidental
b. It was divinely arranged to showcase His true divine nature
c. Jesus was there merely to prove that He was the Son of God
d. I’m not certain of which is which
2 Was it really necessary for His mother (Mary) to have reminded Him of what to do? (Choose one correct answer below)
a. Mary was His mother, and she had the right to pass instructions to Him whenever it became necessary
b. Mary wanted to ascertain that He was truly the Son of God, and that He could really perform miracles
c. Mary was merely showing off – after all, which mother wouldn’t want to?
d. She had never witnessed a miracle before and so used this forum to coax one out of Him
e. She acted on pure impulse and divine purpose because she believed in what Jesus could do
3 Suppose you were Jesus, how would you have reacted under the circumstance? (Choose one correct answer below)
a. Whoa! I’ll be thoroughly glad! What a welcome boost!
b. I’ll remain debonair (calm and lively) on the outside, while bristling with feelings of betrayal and resentment on the inside
c. I’ll go nineteen to the dozen and absolutely gaga (that is, outburst of anger). Who was she to issue directives at me?
d. I would gladly respond, knowing that the occasion could bring glory to God
e. I’m at a fix of what to choose here
LOOKING BEYOND THE VEIL
1 What is the significance or importance of obedience in this story? (Discuss briefly)
2 Is there any spiritual connection or correlation between the six empty pots of wine, feasting at the wedding, and obedience of filling the empty pots to the brim with water? (Discuss briefly)
3 Why is it very essential that we should always be stocked up (or thoroughly filled) with the word of God before attempting to teach it to others? (Discuss briefly)
4 How can you relate the Cana Wedding story to the unfruitful fig tree of Mark 11:12-14? (Discuss briefly)
5 Would you agree that there’ve been times when you let others (including certain circumstances or situations) prod, prompt or push you into service for the Lord? (Discuss briefly)
6 How do you view the reaction of our Lord Jesus to Mary His earthly mother? (Discuss briefly)
Tick any two correct answers under the following section
1. In comparison to the Lord Jesus, I need to:
• Learn to walk more in spiritual sensitivity in order to be able to more easily dictate areas of serious need
• Naturally get irritated at this uncalled-for intrusions
• Get isolated once in a while from external activities
• Be reminded of my spiritual and natural duties by other people
• Be ever ready for use in the Master’s Vineyard, without necessary been coaxed into it by other people
2. Would you agree that what Mother Mary did was right under the circumstance?
• Yes, she did the right thing, but…
• No, the likes of Mary should learn to keep their tongue in check
• Well, under the circumstance, I think she did the only rational thing that she could
• No, she should have exercised faith in the Lord Jesus, and let Him take the initiative
• Well, probably the Holy Spirit impressed the urgency of the need in her mind, and perhaps she acted on the spur of sensitivity or impulse of the moment
Produced and Prepared
By Pastor Michael McBuba
May 8 & 31, 1990/July 6, 1992/June 22, 2009
If you died today, are you absolutely certain that you would go to heaven? You can be! TRUST JESUS NOW
Read more articles by Michael McBuba or search for articles on the same topic or others.