To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Message Board Etiquette

Stop here to see any important announcements regarding FaithWriters.

Moderators: itsjoanne, RedBaron

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Message Board Etiquette

Postby Deb Porter » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:22 am

Hi everyone. This particular issue of Message Board Etiquette tends to come up now and then, and it is important that some boundaries are set in place, so that everyone will enjoy their time on the Boards.

We all like to have fun, and it's always a healthy sign when message board members are enjoying themselves and the company of the other members. However, with all message boards, there is a need for balance. There is a place for inane nonsense and fun, and there is a place where that sort of thing is, well, out of place.

So basically, the Water Cooler is where you can go and just have fun. Silly threads are semi-expected, as are games and general chat about our lives outside FaithWriters (yes ... we do all have them). :wink: In other words, the Water Cooler is for just about everything--including nonsense.

That's not to say that you can't have fun in the other forums as well--PROVIDED the originator of the thread started it as such. The same is true for the Water Cooler. Unfortunately, what often happens on message boards (not just these ones) is that an original message gets quite lost in pages and pages of unrelated, just-for-fun, type responses. This can be very annoying for those who are trying to follow the original thread--particularly if the pages of the thread go on, and on, and on, without any connection.

So please, feel free to start fun threads, particularly in the Water Cooler. But if someone has started a thread with a specific point or purpose, please don't hijack it. This way, we make sure that the message boards are always a blessing to everyone.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

BusBoss
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby BusBoss » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:05 pm

Thank you for the reminder. It is important to keep some semblance of control with so many people saying so many things (some of us more than others) in so many places.
My blog Da Bus Stop

I don't care whether the glass is half full or half empty. I want to know what's in the glass!

One of these days I will stop biting the bullet ... I will put it back in my gun and shoot

jinianne

Postby jinianne » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:44 am

Thanks for this. I am one of those who often gets lost looking for answers to the original question, then I quit reading that thread. :)
Isaiah 6:9

melindafranklin
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby melindafranklin » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:56 am

Thanks for the reminder! You said that with such grace!!

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:55 am

So true.. and sometimes a good comment to a thread is over looked like a single leaf on the forest floor in the fall...
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Dixieland57
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Seasoned with Grace!

Postby Dixieland57 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:29 am

A Word Fitly Spoken......

wandasewell
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Message Board Etiquette

Postby wandasewell » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:13 am

Gotcha!

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:15 am

I am afraid I am guilty. Once in a while I lose my sense of taste(dId I ever have one,,hmmm)

I posted a funny one in Theology the other night cause I was playing with Graham after he oh so gently chastised me. After I realozed what a no no I had done, went back and tried the delete it but couldnt. Maybe you can do it for Deb. I would appreciated it.

It has a lot dancing going on.

beaedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby beaedwards » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:06 am

Yikes, I think I have been a thread hijacker too. More than a few times...
I wish I would have read about board etiquette a couple hundred posts ago!!
To all the folks whose posts I have unintentionally affected, I apologize and promise to be more conscientious in the future.

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:56 pm

[quote="tomoral"]I am afraid I am guilty. Once in a while I lose my sense of taste(dId I ever have one,,hmmm)

I posted a funny one in Theology the other night cause I was playing with Graham after he oh so gently chastised me. After I realozed what a no no I had done, went back and tried the delete it but couldnt. Maybe you can do it for Deb. I would appreciated it.

It has a lot dancing going on.[/quote]
You can't delete yourself, but if you click on the edit part, you can delete part of it if you wish. I think sometimes it's okay to go off just a little, some of those need some comic relief. :), But you just don't want to overtake the thread and make it your own agenda.

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:02 pm

Because this is one of the fixed topics, I can't edit my previous post but what I meant to say, Lynn, is if someone posts after you do, then you can't delete it, but you should still be able to click on the edit button, and if you want you can delete all or part of your message. Here and there, i don't think it's a big deal, but just make sure it doesn't totally change the theme of the original thread. Did that make sense?

Come forth
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby Come forth » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:47 am

I don't think anyone can call an apology bad etiquette; it can only ever be good manners.

Actually, I was trying to reassure you, not chastise you. And I think, even here, it is not hijacking to check on the welfare of someone or to just pass on some concern. The thread remained intact and no harm was done.

It is difficult to remain 100% on track with some of these very broad threads; but the integrity of each post surely is measured by the motivation to answer where possible the original post as honestly as ever. But again, after the original few answers, the thread will take on a life of its own and if it keeps being split to follow each post the forums would become larger than Ben Hur and impossible to keep up with.

I love Deb's comment about posts going 'on and on, without connection.' There's the danger.

Blessings, Graham

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:48 am

okie, dokie....i left the couch hider but took away the dancing girls! I didn't realize I was in the theology thread until after. Looks much more respectable now, though.'

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Don't worry too much, everyone. We have ALL been thread hijackers in the past, and for the most part it isn't really a major issue. Most of us don't worry.

BUT there were times in the past when people have posted new threads for very specific reasons, and then well-intentioned other people have taken those threads on giant, nonsense rambles (so much so that the original request or comment was completely lost).

So that's what we mean by hijacking a thread. If you can see you have turned the discussion off on a completely unrelated tangent, just post another thread and say something like "This discussion tangent was brought to you by ................ We now return you to the original topic." :lol:

Like I said, most people don't really mind, but it really depends on the nature of the original post.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Return to Important Announcements from FaithWriters