Be a Better Writer--A TOUCH OF POV

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

rcthebanditqueen
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Be a Better Writer--A TOUCH OF POV

Post by rcthebanditqueen »

Allison, I really enjoyed your two pieces that you linked.

One thing I forgot to mention - even though I like 3rd person better than 1st person, there is one way I really do like using 1st person. Sometimes if I am struggling with a particular scene or story, it helps to open a new word document or get a fresh piece of paper, and rewrite a 3rd person scene in 1st person. For some reason, just looking at the "I" instead of "he/she" shakes it up enough for me to spot problem bits or see where I can pare away unnecessary fluff (which, for RC "Purple Prose" Barrett, is a good thing :mrgreen: ). Then I can just switch it back to 3rd person, with the edits, and plug it back into the manuscript.

Don't know why, but it seems to help.
TracePezzali
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by TracePezzali »

I'm so excited - I did a piece for Envy and it was mediocre, and then I read this forum and I just knew I had to try first person present tense - which I've never done before (I'm completely new to prose. I've only ever written poetry) and I LOVED IT! I think it's lifted the piece dramatically - because the character is experiencing a complete inner transformation. I enjoyed the immediacy, and how the girl could speak all through it, without needing to italicize internal dialogue. I pray I've done it right! I'll get your opinion after the challenge, Jan, if that's ok. Anyway, it's given me great delight trying this POV. :superhappy
Trace Pezzali

"It is written: 'I believed; therefore I have spoken.' With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak... so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God." 2 Cor 4:13-15
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

I look forward to it, Trace!
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
DustBSH
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by DustBSH »

After your encouragement I wrote my entry for last week in the first person. Certainly was a bit of a change, but that's what the challenge is all about.
The link to the article is here: http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... p?id=50343
Now I will have to try writing in second person, but not for the entry as you rightfully suggested.
Kind regards
TracePezzali
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by TracePezzali »

Hi Jan

This is the story I submitted for the recent 'envy' challenge. I was hoping you could look at it to make sure I got the actual technique right - I anticipate some errors being my 'first time for first p-erson!'

The address is http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... p?id=50379

Thanks! Your feedback is invaluable!
Trace Pezzali

"It is written: 'I believed; therefore I have spoken.' With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak... so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God." 2 Cor 4:13-15
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Trace, your story is beautifully written. It's very exciting to me to see your growth as a writer!
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
TracePezzali
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by TracePezzali »

Yay! Thank you :D That means a lot to me. Sometimes it's too easy to doubt ability!
Trace Pezzali

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”