To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Brand-new and radical - readers beware!

A place for new members to introduce themselves and to be welcomed to the FaithWriters' Community. Don't be shy. We love meeting new brothers and sisters in Christ.

Moderators: beaedwards, RedBaron, Shann

Pilgrim Hardy
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Brand-new and radical - readers beware!

Postby Pilgrim Hardy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Just kidding! My name is Hardy. I'm actually more of an artist than a writer, I even will create my own covers! Started writing intensely this year, but have been telling stories all my life, on paper and on my kid's imaginations. My novels come from the Organic/house/alternative church perspective, so I am automatically on the outer margins of acceptability. The goal is to serve people by giving them something to think/pray about "outside the box" in a pleasant/fun mode. (No sermons here). Money or fame is never the goal, but service is. (I'm quoting one of my characters) See? Radical after all! I hope to have the stories self-published so I can be in control of who will get them (yep, freebies indeed!) - a "Ministry tool" if you have to put a label on it (I hate labels!!!). So don't expect to see them on Amazon for another 20 years. Then it might be nice to get some income when we can't work anymore. Now I'm contradicting myself? Not really: All things happen "in His perfect time" (quote from Maire Brennan). But all craziness aside, I would appreciate some help in figuring out software for writing (see Forum) and graphics as well. Hope 2 or 3 will contact me. Blessings! Pilgrim hardy

RedBaron

Re: Brand-new and radical - readers beware!

Postby RedBaron » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi and :welcome
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi Hardy. Welcome. Glad to have you with us.

Not so much radical as passionate. I'm sure God will bless you and your readers.

Blessings!

Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Shann

Postby Shann » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:18 am

Welcome Hardy, you have a wonderful sense of life and it's contagious. I'm so delighted you found the site. I love the part about writing on your kids' imagination. What an awesome attitude. I can't wait to read some of yourself.

My favorite genre is children's stories (both to read and to write). I even published my first picture book. It only took me like 15 years to tweak it and to get the courage to share.

FW is an awesome site. It can be a tad overwhelming because it's so big, but here are some tips for you about the forums and some other favorite spots.

People here are of all ages and have experience ranging from virtually none to having published some books. I think it's amazing how the people with more experience are so willing to help those with less. I'll forever be grateful for all the things people here have taught me.

The biggest draw to FW would be the writing challenge. There are four quarters each year with ten topics in each one that are related. One thing the challenge does is encourage me to think outside of the box. There is a new topic coming out today. I haven't checked yet to see what it is though that's my next stop.

The word count limit has helped me learn to tighten my writing up quite a bit. The deadline has also helped me on my procrastination. I still wait to the last minute, but am writing on a more regular basis. There is also some excellent reading material there. I try to read and comment on every piece, though lately I haven't been able to do that as often as I would like.

Another great perk is the Critique Circle. It is a great place for paid members to receive a detailed critique on their work. Just recently, they have allowed members to pay so much a page for detailed feedback. This is for silver members or members who want a critique but don't have the time to critique someone else's work. That's how the circle works. Each time you leave feedback, you receive a credit to allow you to post a piece and to get a constructive critique. I've found that by leaving feedback for others, I also learn a great deal about what works or doesn't work in my own writing.

There is testimony contest this year where the top 50 testimonies will be selected for a book. I was part of the first book and it was a wonderful experience. It is available in the free reads for review section in the site's bookstore. http://ebooks.faithwriters.com/readsfor ... tbooks.php
There are lots of wonderful books that the authors will share in exchange for a review on Amazon or the bookstore.

FW is a great place to meet other Christians and writers. I also think it's awesome because there is people with all kinds of experience here from having published boosk to having never really written much at all. People here are great encouragers and willing to share their knowledge with others. The Open Forum is a great place to ask questions about writing and publishing.

You also can find a wealth of info and a variety of people on the boards. It's also a great way to make friends. A great place for writing tips can be found at Jan's Writing Basics. It might be a bit overwhelming to post at first, but I'd urge you to bite the bullet and jump in. Jan is wonderful at giving invaluable feedback to everyone who tries her thread and posts their "homework." Last week she had a lesson on poetry and I believe she plans to go back to more lessons about poetry in a week or two. You should check it out. I have a feeling you'd be able to share some of your wisdom as well as enjoying what others say.

Also The Water Cooler is a great place to meet people. They have topics that range from regional areas to just popping in to say hi. In the Water Cooler section they have a regional sections you might want to check out to see if there are people from your area.

Another great place to go is Prayer Requests. It's wonderful to be able to request prayer and to lift others up in need.

Fw is much like a family. There is something for everyone. The people encourage, support, and love each other. Welcome to the family!

I hope I gave you some places to start. The site is huge and there are so many wonderful things here. You may want to check out the FAQ thread as that may answer many of your questions.

Have fun exploring, jump into conversations and don't be afraid to ask any questions. :welcome
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

RachelM
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby RachelM » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:27 am

Welcome to FaithWriters! I'm a part of a home church that meets in our home. There are about 25 of us and I love the sense of family that we have. There are pros and cons to both approaches, but I'm partial to the small gathering.

FW is a great place to be encouraged. God bless!
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Come forth

Postby Come forth » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi and welcome to FW.

You said:
My novels come from the Organic/house/alternative church perspective, so I am automatically on the outer margins of acceptability.

I'm not sure this is so true anymore -- house churches are popping up everywhere and many are seeing that traditional church is no longer the only way to worship God. I don't think it's where or how, but Who we worship that matters.

Hope you enjoy FW and gain greatly from the experience.

Blessings, Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

Return to Newbie Nook