Be a Better Writer--COMMAS ARE TRICKY

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

glorybee

Re: Be a Better Writer--COMMAS ARE TRICKY

Post by glorybee »

Virginia, I'm going to go ahead and say that I missed that one--although to be truthful, I think that second one falls in the gray area where a comma is optional. Writer's discretion.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
Shann

Post by Shann »

I might be wrong, but I would say in the second sentence the word but is being used like the phrase except for. She ate no lunch except she drank broth and juice. If the word but means except, then there is no comma.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Shann, that's not a rule that I've ever seen before. Can you give me a citation?
At any rate--and this is difficult on my tiny phone--I don't think 'but' means 'except' there. The sentence is

She ate no lunch but drank some broth and tea.

Or something like that. Close enough.

The point is, you couldn't correctly use 'except' there, because the second half of the sentence has a verb. You could write

She ate no lunch except broth and tea

But when you add the verb, the second part of the sentence becomes independent (with an implied "she').
Shann

Post by Shann »

This is what I was referring to, but there is more to it that my brain must have forgotten. http://www.grammarly.com/handbook/punct ... efore-but/
Comma Before But
A comma should be placed before the word but only if but is at the beginning of an independent clause.

I would go for a walk, but for the rain.
In this sentence, but is being used to mean except. Because but isn’t starting an independent clause, the comma isn’t required.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Oh, that wasn't what I was asking, sorry. You said if the word 'but' means 'except,' then there is no comma. (Even though I'm pretty sure that's not the case here.)
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Okay, I see. It's difficult to go back and forth since I can't open two tabs.

We're both right. If 'but' means 'except,' no comma needed. That's not the case with this sentence, though.
Shann

Post by Shann »

I didn't remember it all. I remembered it saying that if the word but means except then no comma but the actual rule was In this sentence, but is being used to mean except. Because but isn’t starting an independent clause, the comma isn’t required.

I'm glad you had me clarify because originally I was focusing on the wrong thing. :D I was struggling with whether it meant except or not.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Cinnamon Bear
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Cinnamon Bear »

Jan, thanks for your reply. Jan and Shann, thanks for continuing to discuss this complicated topic.
glorybee wrote: But when you add the verb, the second part of the sentence becomes independent (with an implied "she').
I am still having difficulty with the placement of a comma after the independent clause but before the dependent clause. If I understand the website that Shann linked to, a comma is not needed if there is no subject in the second clause.

I also located a reference that seems to agree with Shann's:

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp
(Rule #3c)

But Jan mentions the "implied she"--the "implied subject."

Still another example from my manuscript:

“By then, we’ll know more people, and have a better idea who to talk to.”

So am I correct in stating that the implied subject in the second clause is "we". Hence the comma after "people"?

Cinnamon Bear
oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by oursilverstrands »

I don't think it's something I ate :lol: , but I'm just not getting this. I have to raise my hand again.

"Today I looked after a dear old gentleman who thinks the way I talk is just charming."

Cinnamon Bear: "I am under the impression that a comma should only be used if the clause beginning with “who” is not required to identify that person."

( For my brain, I think I need to put the above in another mode.)

Do not use a comma, if the clause beginning with who identifies a person
(I think there's a comma after comma (I almost wrote coma, which could be my other reason). :-)

Jan: "In the second, 'who' starts a phrase that further identifies the old man."

Is my positive statement correct, or am I hopelessly befuddled?

Lillian:
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Virginia--yes to the implied 'we.'

Lillian, your question is more complicated, and again, I can't look back at it while I'm answering, since I'm on my phone.

Here's a sample sentence:

I'd like to find a friend who will walk with me in the mornings.

No comma needed before 'who.'

Here's another:

My granddaughter, who is not quite five, is a little firecracker.

Use commas there.

Both have 'who' phrases that further identify, but the comma is only needed in the first one.
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

To further clarify:

In the first sentence I just gave, the 'who' phrase is essential to the sentence. In the second, it is not.
oursilverstrands

Post by oursilverstrands »

Finally got it!! There's hope. :D

I'm assuming that if there is a "who" with a comma before, then a comma usually/always follows after the clause, as you've indicated.

Thanks,
Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
tomoral
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by tomoral »

Wow! I got them all right. :superhappy Too bad I can't remember it when I'm writing. :lol:

Thanks Jan! :bow
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394
swfdoc1
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by swfdoc1 »

Cinnamon Bear wrote:Thanks, Jan.

I am confused about the placement of commas in reference to strong (independent) and weak (dependent) clauses. I was under the impression that if a weak clause follows a strong clause, a comma is not needed to separate them.

For example (also from my manuscript):

1) Agnes gazed at her, but did not speak.

2) She ate no lunch but drank some juice and broth.

I don’t understand why the first sentence should have a comma before the dependent clause, but the second sentence should not.

Cinnamon Bear
I know Jan generally prefers to stay away from using most technical grammar terms, but since you used one, I think it is important to note that the heart of your confusion may be that you have mis-identified dependent clauses. Neither of these sentences has a dependent clause. Remember, a dependent clause must have both a subject and a verb, yet not express a complete idea.

What both of these sentences do have are compound verbs/compound predicates. Or in non-technical terms they both have two verbs related to the same subject. Gazed and speak both have the same subject: Agnes. Ate and drank both have the same subject: She. Neither sentence should have a comma, since you are not supposed to put a comma between the verbs in a compound predicate.
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Cinnamon Bear
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Cinnamon Bear »

swfdoc1 wrote:I know Jan generally prefers to stay away from using most technical grammar terms, but since you used one, I think it is important to note that the heart of your confusion may be that you have mis-identified dependent clauses. Neither of these sentences has a dependent clause. Remember, a dependent clause must have both a subject and a verb, yet not express a complete idea.
Steve, thanks so much for your post. And you are correct that I was misidentifying dependent clauses. I was looking at a website that provided examples, but not precise definitions.

I need both precise definitions and examples in order to understand a concept. I feel that knowing the correct technical term is very helpful in finding the correct information and in communicating about the concept with others.

Thanks again. :)

Cinnamon Bear

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”