Discussion for Platinum members about the current Page Turner Writing Contest

Moderators: RedBaron, RedBaron, RedBaron

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

The 2014 Page Turner Contest is Up and Running

Post by Deb Porter »

Hi everyone.

If you are a Platinum 500 member, it's time to get that first chapter and synopsis ready for this year's Non-Fiction Page Turner contest. 2014 marks the eighth annual Page Turner Contest, and for many reasons, this is one contest you don't want to miss. Apart from stirring you up to get that manuscript finished (or at least started) you have the opportunity to get some great feedback once the contest is finished (you just have to ask). Some people enter the Page Turner for the feedback alone.

If you win, there's a cash prize of $800 (US), editing, publication by Breath of Fresh Air Press (if we receive at least 15 entries), and a plaque to say you are the Page Turner winner for 2014.

Update - September 2: The 2013 contest winner, Theresa Santy, is in the process of reworking the first edits of her manuscript, on the road to meeting a June 1 publication date. Next year, it could be you!

So here's where you can find out all the details, and submit your application:

http://www.faithwriters.com/myaccount/F ... turner.php

(Non-Platinum members who would like to know more, you can find out here: http://www.faithwriters.com/page-turner.php )

This is the biggest contest we hold each year, so if you are working on a non-fiction book, or even have an idea for one in mind, this contest is for you. (Yes, devotional books, non-fiction poetry collections, inspirational article collections are all acceptable.)

After you submit, I will contact you to let you know that your entry has been safely received. In the early days of the contest, I won't be checking the entries every day. So give me a week or two, and if I haven't contacted you, PLEASE contact me and ask me to check. There is a link to my contact page near the bottom of both the above pages. If I'm online, you can use the chat button for an immediate response.

As always, the Page Turner contest is huge, and most definitely worth entering. If you miss out this year, there won't be another non-fiction Page Turner until 2016.

Love, Deb

Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

yarra
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: The 2014 Page Turner Contest is Up and Running

Post by yarra »

Hi Deb, You say that 'non fiction poetry collections' are counted as non-fiction entries. I'm just wondering how you'd define 'non fiction poetry'. Is it any poetry that doesn't tell a story? Or does it need to be about real events? What about poetry that is about feelings or beliefs or encouragement?

I hadn't ever thought of entering with poetry until I read this post tonight. I'm still not sure that my work would fit the bill, if I actually got around to submitting something.

Blessings, Ellen
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Hi Ellen.

We allow a lot of wriggle room when it comes to poetry collections in the Non-Fiction Page Turner. That's because the only alternative Page Turner contest is basically for novels. So even if your poetry is more fiction than non-fiction, go ahead and enter. We possibly should say this is the Non-Fiction/Poetry Page Turner. I might ask Mike to change that so people like you don't hesitate.

So go for it. I'm the one who will see it when it's submitted, and you know now that I'm fine with it.

Love, Deb
Deb

yarra
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by yarra »

Thanks, Deb. I'll see how I go. I have nothing in an organised state at this stage and so I'm not sure if I will actually submit something. But it's good to know that I can if I want to. I'll have to read the submission guidelines thoroughly now. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up and maybe....
Blessings, Ellen
tomoral
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by tomoral »

Well, after writing and rewriting, tweaking and untweaking, I have finally sent mine in. I have been working on it for two years, and finally let it go into the hands of Deb. Now, I wait till October, and even I forgot to ask for a critique, I do want one, please.
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394
itsjoanne

Post by itsjoanne »

Good for you, Lynn!!

tomoral wrote:Well, after writing and rewriting, tweaking and untweaking, I have finally sent mine in. I have been working on it for two years, and finally let it go into the hands of Deb. Now, I wait till October, and even I forgot to ask for a critique, I do want one, please.
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Writing Challenge Coordinator
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Good on you, Lynn. I was delighted to see your entry there today. I checked in the Page Turner area, as always, fully expecting to see the same one entry sitting there. So what a delight to see a second entry in the list. LOL.

Love, Deb
Deb

sarita2
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by sarita2 »

Maybe this is a whole different contest, but I had a question about the Xulon 3 part contest. The second one, testimonies, says in red that submissions are no longer being accepted, but I have seen other places that the deadline in 10/31/2014. Can anyone set me straight?
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Gets confusing, doesn't it? So many contests running this year. (It's a good problem to have.)

The October 31 deadline is for the Page Turner contest. Totally different thing to the Xulon contests. The Page Turner is the annual contest for Platinum-500 members and is run by FaithWriters and Breath of Fresh Air Press:

http://www.faithwriters.com/page-turner.php

This year's contest is for non-fiction manuscripts. Platinum members are invited to submit the first chapter of their manuscript and an overview of the proposed book. Winner receives $800, editing and publication through Breath of Fresh Air Press.

The Testimony contest has closed and is currently being judged.

Love, Deb
Deb

sarita2
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by sarita2 »

Thank you
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Entries have now closed for the 2014 Non-Fiction Page Turner Contest.

Winners will be announced December 1.

Fiction writers, you're up next, with the 2015 Fiction Page Turner Contest due to launch January 1.

Love, Deb
Deb

Return to “Page Turner Writing Contest”