To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Faith is . . .

For those who like to discuss and debate theology. This is a forum for people who enjoy strong and lively debate with people who may not be likeminded. Participants are requested to always treat other opinions with respect.

Moderators: mikeedwards, cori67, RedBaron

jo555
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Faith is . . .

Postby jo555 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:53 pm

I was at one of my favorite stores the other day (Kirklands) and on a picture it said something regarding faith not so much in knowing God can, but that God will.

Although I believe it is both, I found it interesting as I have always said that where I lacked in faith wasn't so much knowing God can because I know He can do anything, but in not knowing if He wills it.

Then, I was watching Charles Stanley the other day who made a comment about faith and God's will along similar lines.

Anyway, I like details . . . break down what is going on because if I can identify it, I can take it to the Lord to help me in that department.

Anyone else ever consider where their lack of faith may be coming from?
Would it be in the "God willing it" department?
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs

LeAnn
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Faith is . . .

Postby LeAnn » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:57 pm

Faith is believing what we can't see until we can see it.

jo555

Postby jo555 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:09 pm

LeAnn wrote:Faith is believing what we can't see until we can see it.

Amen. Scripturally true too. Thank you much LeAnn.

Maybe I should be asking, "Where do you find doubt as to whether God will do something or not?

Is it not believing He can? Or not believing He will? Or not knowing his will? Or what?"
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs

jo555

Postby jo555 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:17 pm

I have been musing over this one, considering the scripture that says we can know God's will by renewing our minds with his Word.

I do believe God wants everyone healed, but our road to healing may require something of us first (some work in another area). Or maybe we are having a Job moment (not always about us).

And, doesn't mean everyone will be healed for whatever reason, but I believe overall God would like to see everyone healed in Christ.

So, we need to know his will.
We need insight as to what needs to be addressed as He reveals.
Then, wait for his timing.

Some may not need all this . . . but for someone like me it can help to break it down.

ROBIN
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby ROBIN » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:23 pm

Yes, I agree, I believe that the Lord wants to heal. When Jesus came to this earth, He never turned anyone away who needed healing, Yes, there are hindrances to healing, unbelief being one of them.
His will is demonstrated in the scriptures, when Jesus said,
[Mat 10:8 KJV] 8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
[Luk 9:2 KJV] 2 And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick.
[Luk 10:9 KJV] 9 And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.

So, He is willing, I must just believe He is. :thankssign

swfdoc1

Postby swfdoc1 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:06 pm

jo555 wrote:I do believe God wants everyone healed,

Jo,

I don’t think God does want EVERYONE healed in this life. I could give LOTS of reasons, some more complicated than others, but I will give just one: Scripture tells us that Jesus left untold (almost certainly) large numbers of people unhealed. Luke 5: 15-16. This is really significant because of the many other stories in which Jesus “withdrew,” but only to the other side of a lake or to a different town & the crowds would follow Him and He would “be moved with compassion” & heal the people. But His desire was obviously to withdraw. So He “often” went further than these unsuccessful withdrawings, and withdrew to “lonely places,” leaving those in the crowd unhealed.

I do believe that God heals today, through various means: through the gift of healing, through answering prayers for healing just like He answers other prayers, through the laying on of hands and anointing with oil by the elders. But this is clearly (I believe) selective. That does not mean we don’t pray with faith.

If we believe that God wants to heal everyone in this life that means that when the person doesn’t get healed, there must be something wrong with the person—not enough faith, some secret sin, they haven't done what they need to do to deserve it, etc. We can really mess up the minds of people who don’t get healed—whether ourselves or others.
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien

jo555

Postby jo555 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:25 pm

Thanks everyone.

I appreciate the insights.

Steve, you cut my statement short. It reads: "I do believe God wants everyone healed, but our road to healing may require something of us first (some work in another area). Or maybe we are having a Job moment (not always about us).

And, doesn't mean everyone will be healed for whatever reason, but I believe overall God would like to see everyone healed in Christ."

I agree that everyone may not receive healing in this lifetime . . . and that it may not having anything to do with them.

Anyway, great insights throughout. Much appreciated.

swfdoc1

Postby swfdoc1 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Jo,

Right, I did cut some out, but even with the full statement, I disagree. I think Scripture (which controls) and life experience are in agreement that God does not WANT (nor "would like to see") everyone healed in this world.

(But I won't keep saying that if you disagree :) .)
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien

jo555

Postby jo555 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:57 am

Thanks. You are free to make your case. Although, I would suspect that the issue of our disagreement is more of a perspective / wording issue, and minor.

Yet, you are free to disagree again.

:thankssign again.

Return to Theology Discussion and Chat