To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Articles has disappeared!

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

tomoral
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Articles has disappeared!

Postby tomoral » Mon May 26, 2014 6:32 am

HELP! WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL MY ARTICLES?? THEY ARE GONE!

I went to edit an article and all my regular postings and challenge articles are gone! Whas up with that?
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: Articles has disappeared!

Postby Deb Porter » Mon May 26, 2014 6:53 am

Hi Lynn.

Don't panic. Some of us have sent emails to Mike and Bea, but I'm assuming they are already aware of the situation

Although I haven't heard back, it appears to be a database problem. If that's the case, for whatever reason, and it can't be fixed to the point where it crashed (or whatever), there is a back-up database. Scott had to reset FaithWriters once in the past, which took it back to the last saved date. I think that turned out to be about a week or so before the site had the crash. Since then, I believe, the site is saved every day. So even if it is a major crash on the site, for whatever reason, as long as the saved database is fine, it should be able to be reset.

However, at this stage, I don't have anything concrete to tell you, only what I know we've experienced in years gone by. From what I can see, this is different to the big crash years ago. That was when the whole site and forums went down. As we still have access to the site, I'm guessing it's just the database. Still not great, and a headache, but as long as the site has been backed up, it should be able to be restored.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

itsjoanne

Postby itsjoanne » Mon May 26, 2014 7:45 am

Hi, Lynn.
JUST found this when I tried to log in at the site:
ATTENTION: FAITHWRITERS ARTICLE DATABASE IS DOWN DUE TO A TECHNICAL ISSUE LAST NIGHT. WE ARE WORKING ON THIS NOW. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT ANY ARTICLES (INCLUDING CHALLENGE ARTICLES) UNTIL WE HAVE THIS REPAIRED. EVERONES ARTICLES ARE SAFE, THEY ARE JUST NOT APPEARING ON THE SITE. WHEN THIS NOTE IS REMOVED YOU CAN AGAIN POST ARTICLES. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Mon May 26, 2014 8:26 am

Hi guys. Mike said it is all pretty much back in action. It appears some work that was done yesterday on the site may have accidentally not reconnected things when they were finished. Anyway, all the articles should be back now, and the Challenge either will be fairly soon, or is now.

Thankfully, not a major drama this time. Anyone around about five or six years ago (maybe longer) will remember the BIG meltdown. All articles (except for a week's worth) were saved, but we lost most of the forums. That was a big one.

Love, Deb

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Mon May 26, 2014 9:14 am

PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT ANY ARTICLES (INCLUDING CHALLENGE ARTICLES)

Hope they fix it quick.. it could get ugly. :shock:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Allison

Postby Allison » Mon May 26, 2014 1:01 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:
PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT ANY ARTICLES (INCLUDING CHALLENGE ARTICLES)

Hope they fix it quick.. it could get ugly. :shock:

It's already fixed.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Mon May 26, 2014 9:11 pm

Lynn wrote:I went to edit an article and all my regular postings and challenge articles are gone! Whas up with that?

I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to also have a personal, saved file of our articles?

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Mon May 26, 2014 10:22 pm

Lillian, ABSOLUTELY! In fact, that is highly recommended. You should always save a copy of anything you post online.

If you want to save all the feedback and your article from FW, you can save your article pages as HTML documents. Go to the page you want to save and depending on your browser, there will be a "save page as" option somewhere in the "nuts and bolts" section of the browser. For Chrome, it is in that three lined section next to the address line.

I've done that with articles I had on a website many years ago. I had my own original copies, but wanted to keep the feedback people had left on my articles. I'm glad I did because that particular website closed down with virtually no notice (this was way before FaithWriters). So it can be a good thing to save them all.

Having said that, though, as long as FaithWriters back up to the server is always fine, even if the site has a problem, there should be a fairly recent saved version of the site to restore it. It would be a really serious issue if it wiped out both the site and the server back-up.

Love, Deb

choosingjoy
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby choosingjoy » Tue May 27, 2014 12:45 pm

I apologize if this is a double post. It keeps bouncing back to me.

Articles may be restored, but definitely not fixed. Mine are sprinkled throughout with extra characters. I just checked several of them. I do have copies of them all in my Word program as well as paper copies, so it isn't a disaster any way. However, they do look strange if anybody tries to read them on FW. :?

Oh well, so is technology...
A child of the King!
Genia

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Tue May 27, 2014 9:25 pm

Hmmmm ... Genia, could you share a link here to one of the articles where you are seeing the problem. Some people experience weird formatting now and then, but it's usually to do with their browser, not the website. I did a quick browse through the first five or six of your articles and couldn't see anything.

Love, Deb

Allison

Postby Allison » Tue May 27, 2014 9:28 pm

choosingjoy wrote:I apologize if this is a double post. It keeps bouncing back to me.

Articles may be restored, but definitely not fixed. Mine are sprinkled throughout with extra characters. I just checked several of them. I do have copies of them all in my Word program as well as paper copies, so it isn't a disaster any way. However, they do look strange if anybody tries to read them on FW. :?

Oh well, so is technology...

Actually, that's likely just a weird display thing. Sometimes computers don't "read" punctuation correctly. I'm using Firefox, so this may be a bit different for you, but if you can find something under "options" or "view" about "character encoding" and change that, you might get rid of the extra characters.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

choosingjoy
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby choosingjoy » Wed May 28, 2014 12:28 am

Sorry guys, for the alarm. All seems to be FINE now. I don't have anything different except a new internet provider, and that was really several months ago now. I did nothing to fix the problem, but I see no extra characters in my articles nor anyone else's.

Anyway, thanks to you all for your replies and suggestions. You're a great group! But I'm a bit worried about myself now. :oops:
A child of the King!
Genia

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Wed May 28, 2014 3:00 am

LOL. You're fine Genia. Better to ask and see if it is something than be worrying about it.

Glad it all sorted itself out. (Like those sort of problems.)

Love, Deb

Return to The Water Cooler