Be A Better Writer--BREAKING THE RULES

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

CatLin
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Re: Be A Better Writer--BREAKING THE RULES

Post by CatLin »

Great lesson Jan! I've broken all of these rules and lived to tell about it. :)

For example, in this opening paragraph, I broke #3, twice. This challenge entry was an Editor's Choice. (I also just saw, for the very first time ever, an extra word in the 2nd sentence :roll: )

"Although she was very aware of his reputation, Lydia had never actually met the Big Guy. That she would be asked to dine with the him? The thought had never crossed her mind. But he issued the invitation himself--in person. And Lydia giddily accepted. "

And here we see me shatter #4 - Also from an EC winner:

"Most of the brilliant red and gold outside Marta’s windows had faded and withered to drab, dying shades of tan and brown. Like her spirit. Like her life. "

I'm interested in your opinion / teaching on long sentences. I LOVE to write long sentences, but most times I break them up when editing (often upon protest from my muse).

Cat
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)
glorybee

Re: Be A Better Writer--BREAKING THE RULES

Post by glorybee »

Thanks for the suggestion about longs sentences. That, together with Steve's suggestion about adverbs and adjectives, will be the start of Part 3 of this series.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”