To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun May 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Deejay, did you say 4 (F.O.U.R.) of you sleep in the back bedroom or was this a typo? Maybe the room is the size of an army barracks, that could explain it. Or maybe you have 2 sets of bunk beds which would save on floor space. This would require a great deal of compromise and consideration of each other to put four women in one bedroom, but hey, growing up we had 9 people in a 3 bedroom house, so since Mother and Daddy had the front bedroom, 7 of us kids slept in 2 bedrooms. Luckily, we were spread out in age so by the time my baby brother was born, a couple of the older ones were on their way out. Frankly, as next to the youngest, I loved sleeping with my older sisters all the time. They told great ghost stories, as did my mother, reading as she did from James Whitcomb Riley children's books which scared us half to death but we still wanted to hear them. Anyway, you have a great opportunity to witness for Jesus, a sort of "Go into all YOUR world and preach the gospel..." Have you ever had to ask one of the women to leave for any reason? And are 7 in your half a house the most you've ever had? I find all this so interesting.

Here comes John with my supper!

Love all you guys.
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun May 11, 2014 7:48 pm

Remembering all the mothers and mothering figures who have blessed my life, past, present, and future (in our darling grandbabies). I hope you are all enjoying a day of refreshment and joy in the Lord on this Mothers' Day.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun May 11, 2014 7:49 pm

Near the stop sign at the end of the exit driveway from my church's parking lot leading to the busy road is another sign. It reads as follows:

"YOUR MISSION FIELD BEGINS HERE"

I think that is really cool! Their slogan is: "Spreading the gospel across the street and around the world".

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun May 11, 2014 7:52 pm

I don't know if I've shared this true story with you before. If so, here it is again.

In the mid-1960's the Minnesota Twins were in the World Series with some of the games played in our old Met Stadium.

As a side note, Carol was always a serious, life-long baseball fan. Although not confirmed, it is rumored that the first words out of her mouth after she was born were not ma-ma and da-da, but instead were Harmon Killebrew and Sam Melee - famous Twin's baseball names.

Anyway, the company where I worked had four tickets to one of the games. I was offered two of them. At the time I didn't want to deal with the heavy traffic, the noisy crowds, and the hot afternoon sun...so I turned down the tickets.

WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!

Later when I told Carol what I had done, she said, "YOU...DID...WHAT???"

We had been married about three years, and suddenly I feared I wouldn't live to see number four.

Well, I survived the storm, but was chained to the dog house for a very long time.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun May 11, 2014 9:16 pm

Yea!!! I saw my first house wren of the season this afternoon!

It was hopping around on my deck. I love to watch those little guys, and have written a couple of humor articles about them. I even put out another wren house for them this year.

But wait! Something was different about this wren. It was wearing mittens, ear muffs, and leg warmers...and was probably shopping for a space heater to keep its nest and the kids warm.

Two weeks ago there were a couple of loons out on the lake, too, but they have since disappeared. They must have turned around and went back south to a warmer climate.

I think spring in Minnesota has been cancelled this year.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon May 12, 2014 1:42 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:Deejay, did you say 4 (F.O.U.R.) of you sleep in the back bedroom or was this a typo? Maybe the room is the size of an army barracks, that could explain it. Or maybe you have 2 sets of bunk beds which would save on floor space. This would require a great deal of compromise and consideration of each other to put four women in one bedroom, but hey, growing up we had 9 people in a 3 bedroom house, so since Mother and Daddy had the front bedroom, 7 of us kids slept in 2 bedrooms. Luckily, we were spread out in age so by the time my baby brother was born, a couple of the older ones were on their way out. Frankly, as next to the youngest, I loved sleeping with my older sisters all the time. They told great ghost stories, as did my mother, reading as she did from James Whitcomb Riley children's books which scared us half to death but we still wanted to hear them. Anyway, you have a great opportunity to witness for Jesus, a sort of "Go into all YOUR world and preach the gospel..." Have you ever had to ask one of the women to leave for any reason? And are 7 in your half a house the most you've ever had? I find all this so interesting.

Here comes John with my supper!

Love all you guys.

Nope, no typo. No bunk beds, either. C.J. and Diane sleep in a double, Kristina and I have twin beds--though mine was once a bunk bed--and Debbie, in the other room, is sleeping in Becky's old double bed. Right now Hilary and Heidi are sleeping on the floor on mats and bedding; we're trying to get them twin beds. Seven is the most we've had, yes.
And we have had to kick a couple of people out. One lady claimed that after a month, she didn't have enough money for her meds and her rent, but then we discovered she had stolen money from another roommate, so she was asked to leave. She protested her innocence, but the evidence was stacked against her. Another lady was an alcoholic and a pathological liar; last we heard, she went into rehab. We tried to talk to another lady about her habits, but she was a druggie who hadn't slept in a week, so she got really paranoid, got a friend of hers to help her move out, and while she was sitting in the car out front, one of my roomies saw her take a hit of coke. A few ladies have left of their own will--one got a live-in job as a housekeeper, a few went to live in another house down the street that was supposed to be like ours but it didn't work out, so they returned to the shelter, another lady got a job that required her to move; that's about it.

I'll see if I can get the square footage of the house.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue May 13, 2014 8:12 pm

Today I bought a Subway sandwich to bring home for lunch. I handed a $10 bill to the cashier. Much to my surprise, she applied a colored marker to it, then, studied the bill under bright light.

When I asked her why she was doing that with such a small bill, she said the bank told her even fake $10 bills are showing up there. For some time fake $100's, $50's and $20's have been passed around, but not $10's...until now.

Today many businesses will not accept personal checks. Debit and credit cards can be stolen or the information hacked using wireless means. Identity theft is running rampant. Counterfeit currency is common.

Electronic bill paying and direct deposits are highly encouraged.

It sounds like a forced cashless society in right around the corner.

Call me "old school" if you wish, but I'm not ready for that.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed May 14, 2014 3:17 pm

I'm old enough to remember when they used to tell you how to spot a counterfeit coin, or marks that metal had been taken from a coin to be used to make counterfeit coins. Around that time I read a Cold War detective mystery, believe it was a true detective tale, about a couple of Russians who were spies; after entering the U.S., they started doing their spy stuff, and one of them took a nickel, sliced it in two, hollowed it out and put some microfilm in it, in order to get it out of the country to Russia. But it got passed around, and this paperboy was going around an apartment complex collecting, and one lady needed change to pay him. After the change was gotten and the boy was paid, he started down the hall towards the stairs, tripped and fell. One of the nickels he'd gotten in payment from the lady who needed change--got it from a neighbor--went down the stairs, and to the boy's surprise, it broke open, revealing a roll of microfilm. The cops got it, sent it to the FBI, and eventually the spies were caught separately. Believe the title of the story was "Change For A Dollar."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu May 15, 2014 1:09 pm

Don and everyone - This is a fascinating video. This guy took a bunch of colored pencils and made the most unusual ring you've ever seen. After it's finished, it's stunning! Enjoy!

http://www.wimp.com/ringpencils/

Here's another one that I'll bet you could make, too, Don:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nu4cHq ... FnCawSIflA

If I were a man, I would have gone into woodworking big time. I LOVE all kinds of wood.

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu May 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Yep, that's good stuff! I've never done much woodworking, just woodcarving. Woodworking requires much more equipment, and I have very little of those things - just some of the basics.

I think I do a reasonable job of woodcarving, but when I see some of the completed projects shown in my Woodcarving magazine, I am amazed at the things carvers do. I wouldn't dare to even try some of those projects.

There are some professional woodcarvers out there who can get $20,000 to $30,000 for just one carving.

My carvings wouldn't sell for $2.00 at a flea market.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Fri May 16, 2014 12:10 am

Howdy, group. I have not read any of the messages from the past week yet, but wanted to stop by and let you all know I am still among the living.

My sister left yesterday morning. It was hard to see her go. We had such a great visit. If somebody could just figure out how to shorten the road between Texas and Illinois...

Okay, off to try to catch up on some of these messages.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri May 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Nice to see you, Betty
And as always, Mariane and Dan leave me smiling.
We finally baffled the squirrel, at least for this week, by putting Vaseline on the pole to the bird feeder.
A couple of days ago I saw a big possum under the feeder early in the morning. He was sooooooooo
ugly. Then later one day we saw a "flat" one in the road. My husband said he ought to have stayed under the feeder! ; )
Hope you all have a blessed weekend.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat May 17, 2014 1:18 am

Has Faithwriters stopped sending email alerts, or is it just me not receiving notices? I just got caught up reading. There's always something interesting going on here. :wink:

I'm trying to attack spring cleaning, so don't get too lonesome if I play hooky from the porch, off and on, for awhile.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat May 17, 2014 2:25 pm

[color=#FF0000]Would you all keep my roommate Diane in your prayers? First she found our roommate Becky dead, then the other day she brought her pet rat Chestnut out in his cage to the backyard, hoping to keep him cooler. Chestnut freaked out and apparently gave himself a heart attack and died. He's buried in the backyard. Diane is taking it hard.[color=#000000]

Still trying to get the square footage of the house, though. Someone--BeachGrandma, I think?--shared a window cleaning solution and said it did a great job on a couple of big sliding glass doors and eight big windows. How much square footage would that be? I'm asking because Pastor Brian would like me to start cleaning the windows at church, and there are a lot of them, most very large. I measured as best I could; I just want to be able to calculate the amount of the ingredients. We have some window cleaning solution, but it says don't use it in direct sunlight--and most of our windows face south. I'd have to clean the windows in the middle of the night if I used that stuff.

Speaking of church, Pastor asked me the other day how far I'd gotten in our Sound Tracks studies; I said Track 3. There's 6 tracks; Track 1 is The Love of God; Track 2 is The Word of God; Track 3 is The Holy Spirit; Track 4 is A Servant Heart; Track 5 is Be A Witness; and Track 6 is Ministry Training. Anyway, he asked me if I'd consider taking Track 4. I said I could practically teach that one on being a servant.

Can we say, me and my big mouth? :zipped

Because he said, "Well, you should take it so you can teach it--we don't have a teacher for it." :book2
It starts tomorrow.....

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat May 17, 2014 6:22 pm

Deejay, I wasn't the one who mentioned window washing to you. Maybe it was in another FW room.

Kids make me laugh so hard even when I shouldn't. A case in point:

Yesterday, my son, Tim, brought home Subways with smoked turkey, lettuce, tomato and cheese for all of us. My 3rd grader grandson, Charles, was vastly unimpressed and couldn't even take a bite. Tim asked Charles to ask the blessing and this is what Charles prayed:
"Dear Lord, thank you for this food. Bless those who are going to eat it but since I'm not one of them, bless those who do. In Jesus name, Amen."

Edy, I haven't received a notice from FW that there was activity in here for many months. I've quit looking for it but try to drop in once a day to see if anything is happening.

I'm curious. How many of you are presently entering the Challenge? I haven't paid my dues in a couple of years so I'm not eligible but I wish those of you who do submit entries would post a link here so we could read them, or if you know someone who has submitted something that's really extraordinary, I'd like a link to them, too. I doubt if I can comment but I would like to read them.

Love you guys! :loveyou

Mariane Holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler