To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon May 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Omigoodness, what a shocker! I can't even imagine how you got through all that! Was Becky a woman of faith? I hardly know what to say except that I'm so sorry. Sixty-two is awfully young to die and I gather from your various posts her that her excessive weight in large part caused her death. Was she close to her family and are they taking all this hard? You have recently shared a lot about her with us here on the porch so I felt like I knew her through you.

You were a good friend and I know you have no regrets in what you were able to do for her. God bless you and reward you for your kind, loving heart, DeeJay.
:loveyou :grouphug :grouphug2 :loveyou
Mariane Holbrook

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon May 05, 2014 4:14 pm

She was not on good terms with her mom and her one daughter, the one out here with her grandkids. The daughter in Florida she was in constant communication with. I recall her saying she was raised Roman Catholic, but Diane said she'd told her once she didn't believe in God. But sometimes people say that to avoid being preached at, or because they may be seeking but prefer to do it alone. Diane pointed out that I represented Christ to her, so who knows? Maybe Jesus appeared to her just before she went. We won't know until we get there ourselves. He last conversation with Diane was a disguised good-bye, from what Diane said.

Laying on her back wouldn't have helped; she had breathing difficulties from her weight plus asthma, and I always saw her lying on her stomach. But then, that was the only way she could watch TV.

Jesus has really been with us, but we're still processing it.

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon May 05, 2014 7:31 pm

Praying for you all, DeeJay, that you will feel the arms of Jesus around you. Having such a tragic shock can be tough to process, even with the recent hints that she wasn't doing well. As a nurse I marvel how much a body can endure and still survive, while at the same time stunned by the swiftness with which a person's life can be snuffed out like a candle in the wind.

Just now on the news, they gave a report of two university students returning home from work, together, around midnight, attacked and stabbed. The one with the punctured lung probably saved the life of the other girl, whose inner elbow was slashed, through an artery. Both are doing well, thank the Lord. But, without the makeshift tourniquet she could have easily bled to death.

Oh, what a world, sometimes so beautiful, as our sunny day, today, alongside the agonies so many endure near and far!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon May 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Sorry for the loss of your friend, Dee Jay. What a horrible situation that was. I hope your representation of Jesus to her was enough to make her desire to give her heart to him, too.

Betty, If I were good at putting pictures on here, I'd show you my egg that Mariane made for my sister. My sis is crazy about it, and that makes me happy.

Don, several years ago while we were the beach, I decided to take a ride on a bicycle--something I hadn't done for years. It was not a modern one with different speeds, but an older model with extra wide handlebars. I rode on the sidewalk and almost wiped out a whole family. Humbled, I pushed it back to where we were staying. I haven't tried since, but I believe I'd be okay--maybe--with wide open spaces. . . and for some strange reason my daughter, who used to be shorter than I is now several inches taller. Hmmm, she must have had a late growth spurt!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Mon May 05, 2014 10:29 pm

Oh my Deejay, so sorry for your loss. You must have been stunned. I'm sure I would have been. You can take comfort in knowing you were there for her. And you are right; we wont' know for sure who is in heaven and who is not till we get there. We may have some surprises.

My sister is flying in tomorrow from Illinois. I am so excited to see her. It's been two years. I just wish my other sister was coming, too. She will be staying a little over a week. I probably won't have much time on the computer while she is here. We have a lot of visiting and running around we want to do, and she is dying to see the new baby. He is her great, great nephew. Sooo, wanted to let y'all know I hadn't' dropped off the face of the earth if you don't hear from me for awhile.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue May 06, 2014 2:13 am

Deejay, when you said Diane mentioned that Becky's last conversation with her was a disguised goodbye, did you mean that Becky likely felt the end was near? I like to believe that when someone has a feeling or a premonition that they're going to face eternity very soon that they make peace with God as best they know how. When we heard that my brother Dick who lived in Oregon died during his kidney dialysis, we grieved because Dick insisted all his life that he was an atheist. But my sister and I (the only ones left of our family of 9) wanted to believe that Dick would have called out to God for mercy and forgiveness even if he had had only a few seconds to repent. God is so loving and so much wants to grant salvation to everyone that He will honor even a couple of words or thoughts indicating a hunger for Him. "He is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance." I trust the same for Becky and hope that she turns to you in heaven and thanks you for living a godly life before her.

It's 2 a.m. so I'd better go to bed. We're going to have weather in the very high 80s all week so the beaches here are packed with tourists.

Love you all.
Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed May 07, 2014 3:53 am

I had a very, very long list of things to alphabetize and have been dreading it terribly. Groan. I knew it would take hours and hours.

So, just on a whim I Googled "Alphabetize free". The following link came up immediately along with many others:

http://alphabetizer.flap.tv/index.php

I am so relieved I don't know what to do! And it's a FREE service !!! Now all my lists on my computer can start to make sense!

I'm probably the only person on the planet who didn't know this link was available. If you know any other short cuts like this that would simplify my life, please let me know! I am so computer challenged that you wouldn't believe it !

Have a lovely day!
:superhappy :clap :superhappy :clap :superhappy :clap :superhappy :clap :superhappy
Mariane Holbrook

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed May 07, 2014 2:05 pm

You know how you start thinking about things afterward, and realize the signs were there? Becky wasn't one to reach out to others much. But she had had a series of disappointments lately. Last year she tried to get visitation rights to her grandkids, but only got some. They're 8, 3 and 1 years old. The reason Becky decided to take the room for herself was she was hoping her daughter in Florida could come out and share it with her; when that didn't happen, it was the last straw. This morning we lost our satellite TV service; Becky hadn't renewed the tags on her car, and hadn't paid her cell phone bill, which is why her daughter couldn't reach her. We believe Becky's real cause of death was a broken heart.
Becky's daughter--the one she was distant with--came over Monday and got some of her things; her other daughter will be flying out this week to get more stuff, and the other daughter will swing by for more of her things. They don't want the furniture. We've been eating her We have a quiet, older lady who paid her deposit--Becky had paid her rent for this month--so as soon as Becky's room is cleared out, and cleaned, she will be moving in.
We need one more person, or two if they can squeeze in. It's going to be tough being seven again--I can remember how crowded it was the first time--but as long as we can keep the rent paid in full, we'll be okay. Becky used to mow the front and back lawns--such as they are--but now we're each going to contribute $10 the 3rd of every month to hire a guy we know to do it.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed May 07, 2014 5:12 pm

Well, I emerged reasonably intact, but not totally unscathed, from my annual trek into the depths of the medieval torture pit known as the exam room of the medical clinic where my doctor practices medicine.

Out of a need to have my yearly prescriptions refilled, they demanded that I show up to be seen there. I so much wanted to simply email a selfie photo of my face for them to look at instead, but I figured an annoyed doctor "practicing" on me probably would not be a good thing.

Anyway, after the relentless probing, poking, scanning, blood-letting, intense interrogation, and lecture session had stopped, I was fortunate to escape from the jaws of the abyss with all my limbs attached and my head re-installed facing the right way.

I don't understand that when someone is hired to simply renew some prescription paperwork, they think it also gives them the right to overhaul the transmission, drain the carburetor, re-gap the spark plugs, and refer you to a body shop to have dents removed. Then, without actually saying it, they mentally predict the number of miles left on worn tires that cannot be replaced.

My message to them is this, “Don't mess with my odometer!” :x

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed May 07, 2014 6:30 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:Deejay, when you said Diane mentioned that Becky's last conversation with her was a disguised goodbye, did you mean that Becky likely felt the end was near? I like to believe that when someone has a feeling or a premonition that they're going to face eternity very soon that they make peace with God as best they know how. When we heard that my brother Dick who lived in Oregon died during his kidney dialysis, we grieved because Dick insisted all his life that he was an atheist. But my sister and I (the only ones left of our family of 9) wanted to believe that Dick would have called out to God for mercy and forgiveness even if he had had only a few seconds to repent. God is so loving and so much wants to grant salvation to everyone that He will honor even a couple of words or thoughts indicating a hunger for Him. "He is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance." I trust the same for Becky and hope that she turns to you in heaven and thanks you for living a godly life before her.

It's 2 a.m. so I'd better go to bed. We're going to have weather in the very high 80s all week so the beaches here are packed with tourists.

Love you all.

As Diane told it, she helped Becky with something--because of her swollen condition, she was always dropping her water bottles, so that's probably what she did--and Becky told her that she was her best friend in the world, and Diane said the same back to her, and then they hugged and kissed. Look at this way--if that's not a disguised goodbye, I don't know what is. Maybe she had an impression to say that, and who knows--maybe she did have a premonition of death, but there's just some things you can't say to people, you know?

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu May 08, 2014 3:02 am

Deejay, that's an interesting situation you are in. It must be a very large house to accommodate that many women. The bathroom reservations alone would make my head swim. My DIL-to-be moved in with another woman who owned her house but it was bad from the beginning. Chris was not allowed anywhere in the house but her bedroom, her bath and use of the kitchen. Yet she was expected to clean the whole house every other week. The owner was so unpleasant that Chris finally moved out. But in order to save money or keep from drowning financially, sometimes we have to put up with a lot, I guess. I hope your new roommate (s) fit in with all the rest of you gals.

Maybe this link will cheer you up. My two big passions on the internet are babies and dogs. I adore both of them. This one about babies made me just laugh out loud. They are precious!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/reason ... unk-adults

I'm going back to bed. Night night.
Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri May 09, 2014 5:56 am

I used to wonder how my grandmother could bake such delicious bread, cookies, pies, and biscuits in her old wood stove. They always came out perfect and so delicious. Never burned, never undercooked; just right. How did she do it?

Today on my hometown Facebook thread one of my friends told us that his grandmother was so upset years ago when his aunt sold their old wood stove and bought a new electric stove as a surprise for his grandmother. Grandma said she could never use the new one because "I always use exactly 6 pieces of wood to bake my bread. I don't know nothing about temperatures."

I love it!!
:clap :clap :clap :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy
Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat May 10, 2014 2:24 pm

A Happy Mother;s Day to all the moms on the porch!

Our son came one day this week to take us to lunch and brought me a beautiful plant for the front porch. It was extra special because he had picked it out. Our daughter called and sent a gift. She has two boys graduating from college this week-end. We are so very proud of our grandsons--one to be a teacher and the other to be wherever God leads--He 's thinking right now--Air Force.

Don, I have one of those "maintenance check ups" Monday. I hope I come through unscathed.
Last edited by Verna on Sat May 10, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat May 10, 2014 2:25 pm

Well, we have our new replacements. The first is Debbie, and then there's the mother-daughter team, Hilary (mom) and Heidi (daughter). They're very nice ladies. We manage to spread the use of the kitchen and bathrooms throughout the day, but if both bathrooms are busy and someone is in need, the call goes out--"There's a line!" --and that fixes it.
Well, actually it's half of a house; the other part, which faces the other street, is the original 1912 part, which used to be a dentist's office. Our part was added sometime in the 40s, no doubt to accommodate war workers. With four of us in the back bedroom--me, C.J. and Diane, and Kristina--and three in the front bedroom, it is a bit of a squeeze, but we can do it. Not sure of the square footage, though.
I was just informed this morning that Becky's memorial will be at her daughter's apartment in Anaheim; that's quite a trip by bus, about two hours, and it's tomorrow at three. Not sure if I can make it. Becky was cremated, per her wishes; whether they have a plot and headstone for her I don't know. The Social Security survivor benefit for each daughter is only $250. That's nowhere near enough for even a marker. But maybe I'll find out; had it put on the prayer chain at church.
C.J. and Diane had to go out and buy a bigger coffee pot; mine was too small for the increase in coffee drinkers. At least Debbie, Hilary and Heidi don't smoke; since Becky died, Kristina hasn't smoked much either. Becky and Kristina used to hang out on the back steps smoking. If Kristina were to quit, we could be a smoke-free household! Because C.J. and Diane have asthma--and are former smokers themselves--this would be a plus.

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun May 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Deejay, did you say 4 (F.O.U.R.) of you sleep in the back bedroom or was this a typo? Maybe the room is the size of an army barracks, that could explain it. Or maybe you have 2 sets of bunk beds which would save on floor space. This would require a great deal of compromise and consideration of each other to put four women in one bedroom, but hey, growing up we had 9 people in a 3 bedroom house, so since Mother and Daddy had the front bedroom, 7 of us kids slept in 2 bedrooms. Luckily, we were spread out in age so by the time my baby brother was born, a couple of the older ones were on their way out. Frankly, as next to the youngest, I loved sleeping with my older sisters all the time. They told great ghost stories, as did my mother, reading as she did from James Whitcomb Riley children's books which scared us half to death but we still wanted to hear them. Anyway, you have a great opportunity to witness for Jesus, a sort of "Go into all YOUR world and preach the gospel..." Have you ever had to ask one of the women to leave for any reason? And are 7 in your half a house the most you've ever had? I find all this so interesting.

Here comes John with my supper!

Love all you guys.
Mariane Holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler