To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:01 am

I haven't read the book or seen the movie so I can't comment about it. You can find both pros and cons about the moving by doing a search on Google. That said, I appreciate Edy's sharing her impressions and also Don's posting his thoughts about it. Anyone else want to comment?
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Don, I am sympathetic to your skepticism regarding personal accounts. From the time when we were children, we were warned by our parents about the devil appearing as an angel of light. One testing we learned to apply is that the adversary cannot stand the blood of Jesus. So, that would be in my arsenal in dealing with any similar situation.

Then in my college years, I heard a minister explain that we have every right to question anyone's personal experience. The Bible is our standard of authority, and people can be fooled. So, we do not stand on any one person's experience, or even human interpretation of Scripture. We, like the Bereans, search the scriptures to see if these things be so.

One of the related video interviews on youtube (nearly a half hour long, so I will spare you the link, but you can find it, there, if interested) included some compelling comments, including passages from the Bible: Matthew 5:8, 18:10, 18:16, and Joel 2:28.

This was the jist of one question: Does the testimony draw Christians away from the Lord Jesus...or does it draw many to respond to His loving voice?

As for the witnesses, interestingly Colton's description of Jesus was matched by another eye witness, also a four-year-old child growing up in an atheist home (so she had never heard anything like what Colton had). She has been gifted to put her dreams/visions into paintings and poems, and the result led her parents to Jesus, too.

I like the words of Gamaliel: "... let them alone, for if this plan or this undertaking is of man, it will fail; but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them. You might even be found opposing God!” Acts 5:38-39 ESV
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:25 pm

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:26 pm

Christians must remember that while the story might be heartfelt and inspirational, it isn’t the Bible. We must not allow this account to dictate our view of the afterlife.

People's enthusiasm for a glimpse of heaven that is offered in the book may begin to base their view of the afterlife and of heaven on these sorts of experiences rather than on what the Bible teaches.

2 Cor. 5:8
Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord."

When believers die, that's where they are - at home with the Lord - forever. There is no return option. And, people don't get there without dying. Where are the scripture verses saying that one can ‘die’ and then return to this life without being raised from the dead by Jesus, Elijah, Elisha, Peter, or Paul?

It's my understanding that the book/movie also physically describes the people in heaven (age, eye color, etc.). What??? Upon death only our soul immediately goes to be with the Lord - perhaps given a temporary spiritualized body. The believer's eternal glorified body is not given until the rapture or resurrection happens.

Only pure, glorified bodies fit for eternity can be present in heaven, as well as only souls that have been washed clean by the blood of the cross.

I believe the whole concept of the book/movie contradicts Biblical teaching. Everything God wants us to know about heaven has already been told in His Word. The problem is that people believe what they want to believe. They want to touch, feel and experience. However, we must accept it all by faith - not by seeing a movie, reading a man-made book, or hearing about someone's dream.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:20 pm

We saw nothing in the film to contradict Scripture. Rather it magnified the Lord. I should think that those ignorant of the Word would be driven, at least by curiosity, to see what they might be missing from the Bible. Is anything too hard for the Lord?

As for the soul (which we ARE. not something we have) it goes nowhere but the grave. The
soul that sins dies (Eze 18:4, Rom 6:23). We don't believe in reincarnation of the old corruptible soul (that lives beyond death according to the after-life view of Egyptian, Greek and Roman mythology---and the serpent in the Garden "You will not surely die!"). Rather, we believe in a New Creation resurrection, Jesus making all things new.

Now, this is a mystery, because we also read that we are already seated with Christ in
heavenly places (Eph 2:4-7ff). So, those dear saints' death-bed visions of Jesus and loved
ones welcoming them must be an experience in the spirit (His Spirit bearing witness with my
spirit - Rom 8:16), possible only when the eyes of our spirit are opened to see what is now
veiled from our view.

A person like Mary's and Martha's brother Lazarus was raised from the dead, being four days
in the tomb with a decaying body ("by now he stinks!"). But, he still had to die again at the
end of his life.

Granted, the Lord has given us everything we need to know in His word (although He
certainly hasn't told us everything there is to know). That word also contains admonitions for
us to heed. Since the Bible is full of references to dreams, I think we have a Biblical
foundation for paying attention when a little child tells us what he has seen. We certainly don't want to be like Joseph's brothers driven to get rid of the dreamer, or to gag this boy's voice when he reaches out to encourage dying children on cancer wards.

Matthew 18:10 “See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in
heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven."

I think St. Paul had the heart of Jesus when he wrote: "I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some." (1 Cor. 9:22)
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:04 pm

Thank you for the links, Mariane. They are thoughtful, not like the snarky review I read on the theater website when I went looking to see where to find the one showing the movie.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:14 pm

I tried to post some links to reviews that were supportive and some that were critical of the movie. There isn't anything that we should avoid discussing as long as we do it in a spirit of love. Often we find Christians moving from discussion of the message to a personal attack on the messenger, which has no place in the family of God. Because of the discomfort to my back of sitting in a movie theater, I have to wait until the movies come out on TV or on Netflix. By then everyone is talking about something else, so my thoughts become irrelevant.

I do think, though, that there is danger is ascribing the works of God to the devil. I think we tread on shaky ground when we do that.

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:32 pm

Bless your bumpity heart, Mariane. Actually, I didn't notice anything unwarrantedly critical in the links' reviews (I didn't do much beyond glance at the comments, knowing how off topic many can wander). Some questions raised were certainly appropriate, some from misunderstanding, others with good insights, I think. So, thanks, again.

We rarely go to see theater movies, either. But, when something comes out that we want to encourage (and "send a message" to Hollywood), we do force ourselves to go. But, we are partial to the dvd, at home, viewing when available.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:23 am

I haven't seen the movie, but I would like to. Without going on and on about it, I don't think we are supposed to know *everything*. We have the Bible, but not every single detail about everything is revealed to us. I expect some wonderful surprises about all kinds of things when I get there. I'm perfectly fine with believing perhaps some of us are given glimpses into things others are not. And since I *haven't* seen the movie or read the book, I really can't speak to it.

We are still on stand by waiting on baby Kai to be born. My granddaughter had a doctor appointment yesterday, and her doctor said she was doing well. She made another appointment for her on Friday, but said she doubted she would make it that long. If by some chance she does, they may induce her this weekend. Keep your fingers crossed for all of us. I am so anxious! I can't imagine what it is like for my granddaughter.

Don has been on a fishing trip since Monday, but he is due back tonight. I would complain about having to cook for him again, but doggone it, I'm gonna like it. Have really missed him.

My coffee pot is calling me for cup number two. Y'all behave.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:29 am

This morning I'm going to bake a yummy classic white cake, then, slather on a thick layer of caramel frosting. I'll top it off with a generous sprinkling of crushed walnuts. :thumbs

It just doesn't get much better than that! But sadly, I'll have to eat the whole thing all by myself.

Let's see here...

Lunch today...a nice piece of cake.
Dinner tonight...another piece of cake.
Bedtime snack...more cake.

Breakfast tomorrow...Yep, cake again.
Lunch tomorrow...two pieces of cake.
Dinner tomorrow...an extra large piece of cake.
Bedtime snack tomorrow...a medium piece of cake - don't want to overdo it, ya know.

Day after tomorrow...repeat previous day until cake is gone.

I must do this quickly before "they" come to take my oven and mixing bowls away from me. If y'all want a nice piece of cake, ya better trot on over here soon before it's too late.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:09 am

Don, your cake sounds delicious, but alas (I've always wanted to say "alas"), I got on the scale late night, and oops!

Also, wanted you to know I grabbed your book this morning. Can't wait to start reading.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:38 am

Betty, I think if a piece of cake is downed really, really fast, weight gain can be avoided. If a piece is eaten slowly, even a whole cake, then, that's when the poundage will pile up. :lol:

Thanks for choosing to read my book. It's not on the NY Times best seller list...yet, but maybe it will get there. :wink:

Don

My new book, "Random Thoughts Of My Bride", is available at http://www.amazon.com
Type the book name in their search box. It is an emotional journey following the death of my dear wife of almost 50 years. The book is for anyone suffering a similar loss, and will bring comfort, hope, and assurance knowing they are not alone in their struggle. Order a copy for yourself and a friend today!

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:00 pm

:superhappy :superhappy I had forgotten that John loves a white cake with caramel frosting. It's been years since I've made one but I think I'll bake one for him and surprise him. Thanks for the idea, Don.

Because my grandsons won't eat any kind of cookies except my chocolate chip ones, I saw the niftiest idea online recently. It suggests making the dough as usual, then putting just enough dough in each compartment of ice cube trays to make one cookie. After they're frozen, you can put the frozen cubes in a Ziplock bag and keep making more cubes until all the dough is used. Then whenever my boys want chocolate chip cookies, all I need to do is take some frozen cookie dough cubes from the freezer and bake them! Isn't that the greatest idea? So since the boys are with their mother all this week, I'm going to make a double recipe of my choc chip cookie dough and freeze the cubes, baking some just before they come home on Friday. I LOVE this. So much less work and so much less messing up my kitchen.

This morning I made 8 complete roast beef, and turkey and dressing dinners, put them in the plastic round dinner containers with lids and froze them. That makes it so much easier when I don't feel like cooking or when John has been gone on school tours all day and comes home late, really tired. I try to do this every week or so, changing the menu so we have everything ready to pop in the microwave for supper. I often cook a pork roast and complete the dinner with mashed potatoes, gravy, peas and steamed apples. There are so many good left overs so since there are only two of us, life is much easier this way. Tim and the boys live in our first floor apartment and like to do their own cooking. The boys are still picky and Tim knows how to feed them things they like, something I can't seem to master.

Onward and upward!
:thumbs :superhappy :grouphug3 :grouphug2 :loveyou :razzberry

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:50 pm

I was so sick of winter and anxious for spring that I went shopping yesterday.

I bought three tubs of pansies (one of my favorite flowers) for my deck, a hanging flower basket for the deck gazebo, and two hanging baskets for outside my front entry door.

Now, we are having rain with wind today, and tomorrow, too. I didn't want all of the flowers to get wrecked from the weather, so I moved them under cover until the storm passes by. By the way, "Until The Storm Passes By" is a good gospel song.

Waiting for some sunshine and 70's temperatures...

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:22 pm

Don't forget the Apostle John went to Heaven when he wrote the book of Revelation.

Children have a special place in God's Kingdom. I don't see how the enemy can use this to deceive, since it glorifies God. I read the children's version, and I had no problems with it.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler