To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Easter Plans/Traditions...what do you do?

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Katy Foster
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Easter Plans/Traditions...what do you do?

Postby Katy Foster » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:36 pm

My husband and I are determined to make Easter a significant holiday, and give more value to Jesus's resurrection than to candy and Easter baskets. I am curious... what are you other Christian writers doing with your families to make the holiday wonderful? (I wrote our Easter plans on my website if you'd like to see - www.digginwithkaty.com)

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Easter Plans/Traditions...what do you do?

Postby deejay » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:37 pm

Well, when my mom and uncle were alive, we'd go to his house where he'd cook a delicious feast. This also occurred at Thanksgiving and Christmas. But my uncle and mom are gone now. My family wasn't Christian. But I do go to church on Easter--as well as every Sunday, of course--and if somebody has something planned, like lunch out and they decide to invite me to come along, I go. Otherwise, I just go home. I'm single, no kids, so it's a little hard to put on a spread for one. I live with roommates, and it depends on what they have planned. But the last few holidays are just a time to crash. However, I do spend time thanking Jesus for His gift of eternal life to all who will receive.

Shann

Postby Shann » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:28 pm

When the kids were little we talked about celebrating Easter just as a Holy day and then the following day making it a Bunny-hopping day. We only did it a couple of times because the kids weren't up to it, but the candy is like 70% off and they would get tons more. We did decorate eggs and hide them and small Easter baskets but before the kids could look or open presents at Christmas we always read from the Bible which is a special tradition I hope each one will remember and do with their kids too.

Also, we triy to make Holy week special and really explain the significance to the kids. I hope to go to church tonite for communion. On Good Friday it seemed like it always rained between noon and three and we would talk about the significance of that. Like even the weather understands the meaning of what happened all those years ago. It didn't always happen but like 90% of the time which was good to explain how we go from sadness to joy in just three short days.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

dub

Postby dub » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:16 pm

(unless it's storming) We will attend services down on the river side, followed by a dinner with family and friends. Easter baskets will be there for the wee ones, but no emphasis. The Risen Christ is the theme of the day.
"Here I am Lord, send me."

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:34 pm

To be honest, I miss not only the special dinners, but yes, the Easter Egg hunts and getting an Easter basket. We used to color our eggs, put them in our baskets, then leave them on the dining room table. I used to leave either carrots or some lettuce for the Easter Bunny--kids leave cookies and milk for Santa, so it made sense to me to leave lettuce and carrots for the Easter Bunny :mrgreen: . Next morning there would be candy and small gifts in our baskets. One year I got a bunny-shaped candle.

Yesterday at church, while the worship team sang a new song, one of our teens came up and rapped a poem he wrote. I'll post it later for you to enjoy. And I did tell him I was going to post it here. The guy is talented, no question. (I'm useless at cutting and pasting, and I forgot to write it down to put it here. I'll do that later.) Also, during the song, the kids' church, from toddlers to teens, came in waving pennants. It was awesome--simple, yet very moving.

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:36 pm

Okay, here it is, the rap poem I mentioned in my last post. It's long, but very powerful. Enjoy!

THE SPOKEN WORD
by Stand Woodall

In living Jesus died
In dying Jesus lived
He laid down His life
As a whole and perfect gift

He's the Son of the Father
The Heavenly Father's Son
Jesus was hated by many
But He was defeated by none

In life, Jesus died daily
He did it for us, even though we aren't Israeli

People say, 'Speak of the devil",
Nope! Not in here
Jesus is with us
And He casts out all fear
He holds us dear,
And draws us near
So I'm sharing His Good News
For everyone to hear

He calls me His friend
I call Him Master
He leads the way
And I follow after

He makes sinners sinless
And makes death dead
God paid the great bounty
On all of our heads

Scars on His hands
Holes in His feet
Permanent Testaments
To love so sweet

Holy Spirit
Give us fire
Fill us up
And take us higher
Send us out
Bring us in
Help us save
This world of sin

3 days is how long Jesus waited
And on the third day He was resuscitated
Now we are free, let's celebrate it
There was a price we couldn't pay
And our Savior paid it
Come on everybody
Young and old
There's a story of resurrection
Waiting to be told

Everybody
Get off your seat
Clap your hands
Or stomp your feet
Raise your voice
Make some noise
We are the children of the King
Everyone, rejoice!

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:46 pm

My friend started a new Easter tradition this year. As her guests came in the door, she held out an Easter basket for them to drop their cell phones an Ipads into. They were told they could pick them up as they left the gathering. Since most were close friends an family, they all obliged. She said their get together was so much fun! They ate without interruption and laughed and enjoyed one another.

It's a good idea!
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

Return to The Water Cooler