What should follow, "This?"

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

What should follow, "This?"

Post by oursilverstrands »

Jan, I just read that a noun should always follow the word, "This." If so, I've violated that rule, often...as in, "This seems very strange to me," or "This can't be true."

Puzzled,

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
glorybee

Re: What should follow, "This?"

Post by glorybee »

I've never heard that rule. Can you give me a link? Or if it's not an online thing, can you give me more context? It's seems preposterous to me.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
oursilverstrands

http://www.sbts.edu/.../Common_Errors...‎Southern Baptist Theological Seminary

I couldn't remember if "Scripture" was always capitalized, so I Google it and came up with the above.

Lillian
When Youth Fades

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Lillian, your link takes me to a "Page not found." Maybe if you could copy and paste the relevant section?
oursilverstrands

Jan, when I Googled, I had to open a pdf. file, so maybe that's why you couldn't open it. These rules were for students who were writing doctoral papers. Could that make a difference?

Common Writing Errors of D.Min. Students

Below you will see multiple errors that we commonly see in written work. If you are a new student, please note these errors when they occur in your papers and work to correct them in future submissions. If you are a returning student, you will probably recognize that we have raised the bar when grading papers with these errors. These errors are unacceptable in doctoral writing and especially within the final written project; thus, we want you to learn to correct them now.

14. Using a “naked this”; e.g., “This is a good idea” should read, “This idea is a good one.”
Always follow “this” with a noun.

By the way, is Scripture always capitalized? :D

Lillian
When Youth Fades

Fortunate 500

glorybee

Post by glorybee »

lish1936 wrote:Jan, when I Googled, I had to open a pdf. file, so maybe that's why you couldn't open it. These rules were for students who were writing doctoral papers. Could that make a difference?

Common Writing Errors of D.Min. Students

Below you will see multiple errors that we commonly see in written work. If you are a new student, please note these errors when they occur in your papers and work to correct them in future submissions. If you are a returning student, you will probably recognize that we have raised the bar when grading papers with these errors. These errors are unacceptable in doctoral writing and especially within the final written project; thus, we want you to learn to correct them now.

14. Using a “naked this”; e.g., “This is a good idea” should read, “This idea is a good one.”
Always follow “this” with a noun.

By the way, is Scripture always capitalized? :D

Lillian
Ahhhh. The light dawneth.

This is for very formal writing, for a doctoral thesis, and is perhaps just this particular professor's preference (or that of his department). In everyday speech and writing, it's perfectly proper to follow "This" with "is" or "was" or any number of non-noun words.

As for "Scripture" being capitalized, that's a bit of a gray area. If you're writing for a Christian publication or institution, you'll definitely want to check with their usage guidelines. Generally, when it's "Scriptures" as a synonym for "Bible," it's capitalized. Even singular, when it conveys the same meaning as "Bible," it would be capitalized.

I love to talk about Scripture with my friends.

However, when it has a more general meaning, it would be in lower case:

Many faiths have scriptures that contain the writings of their founders. OR
The cooking tips of Julia Child were like scripture to the cooking students.

By the way--one of the most common errors in the Writing Challenge is writing "Bible" in lower case. It is always upper case, except in sentences like this one:

The French Chef was the cooking students' bible.

However, the adjective "biblical" is not capitalized.
swfdoc1
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by swfdoc1 »

Jan, you're right, of courses, that it is often OK to follow "this" with “is.” But I think what the students are being warned against—in a VERY poor manner—is something that ALL writers should avoid: broad pronoun reference. But that problem extends beyond the word “this” and often must be solved in ways other than adding a noun. See, e.g., here. The examples given are not necessarily the best ones, since sometimes much more confusion can arise than in these examples. But the page was an easy one to find. Off the top of my head, I can think of this being a problem with the personal pronoun “it,” the demonstrative pronouns (esp. the single ones, “this” and “that”), and some of the relative pronouns (such as “that” and “which”).
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Thanks, Steve! I was hoping you'd weigh in on this one.
swfdoc1
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by swfdoc1 »

Always lurking; not always participating! :mrgreen:
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien
oursilverstrands

:thankssign to you, Jan, and Steve. I don't know why, but I find myself second guessing my punctuation when I reply to you guys. No, I take that back; I do know why :D

• I'm practicing my usage of a semicolon. I know I could have written it another way, but did I get it right?

Lillian
When Youth Fades

Fortunate 500

glorybee

Post by glorybee »

lish1936 wrote::thankssign to you, Jan, and Steve. I don't know why, but I find myself second guessing my punctuation when I reply to you guys. No, I take that back; I do know why :D

• I'm practicing my usage of a semicolon. I know I could have written it another way, but did I get it right?

Lillian
Yes.

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”