To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

ISBN

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, itsjoanne, cori67, Sparrow, beaedwards, RedBaron

jo555
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

ISBN

Postby jo555 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:36 am

Received some extra cash, thank you Jesus, and was looking to buy an isbn number when I came across this: http://www.isbnservices.com/

Quite cheaper than I had run across with other company. What do you think?
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs

buckspub
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Re: ISBN

Postby buckspub » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:53 am

Hi jo555.

I purchased a very large block of ISBN's and bar codes directly from Bowker in 2007. At that time, it was recommended not to purchase ISBN's from third-parties. Incidentally, in some publishing forums posts appeared from individuals who claimed someone else used their ISBN before they did... that means the ISBN they had was either gotten through some automatic hack-bot from their computer, or the ISBN they purchased was fraudulent.

Bowker has changed their marketing since 2007. Now it seems that companies like the one you mentioned are able to purchase large blocks of ISBN's and resell them. That was not common in the past.

The pro to using a third party is that the cost will be significantly less than going directly through Bowker.

The con to using a third party is that the buyer does not really know where in the world that company (or malicious individual) is located. Not knowing the location is a problem if the product purchased is fraudulent. If a company based in the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, or New Zealand is found to commit fraud, it will be much easier for the Western victim to recover losses. However, if that company is located within a third-world country that is has a high reputation for fraudulent internet transactions, then the buyer will ultimately lose all costs.

The company you provided does not have a Terms of Service agreement, which should at the very least identify their primary city/state/country of operation, and their About Us page leads to a 404-Not-Found error message.

It could be that they are new and are setting up their website, or it could be a reason to be concerned.

I have been professionally formatting eBooks since 2007 (and, incidentally, have a crappy, undeveloped website -- but my clients meet me in person and find me through personal referrals). I am asked on a regular basis if I sell ISBN's, and explain that I will not because of potential fraud.

Professionally, I feel that there is a risk of fraud if an ISBN is purchased in a way other than directly through Bowker. Right now, the consumer is simply not protected well enough for my endorsement.

Personally, anytime I make an internet purchase from a new company, I do my best to research it. I follow the links in their website footers, I look through the Terms of Service to find their location, and I do general search inquiries to see if I can discover forum posts where people complain about their services.

If you are strongly thinking about doing business with that company, then may I suggest to trust your intuition. Something inside you inspired you to make the post here to ask others opinions, and to me that suggests some element of doubt is present within you. I may be wrong on that, but for me, when I ask others about something, it's because I hold a degree of uncertainty about the topic.

I hope I have provided rational and reasonable food for thought.

Good luck making your decision.

Shann

Postby Shann » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:56 pm

You can get a random number for free too if my memory serves me correctly. When i published my book through CreateSpace I received the number for free. It didn't cost anything to do the publishing process. I had some kind friends that helped a lot, but I think I could have figured out by only throwing a couple of computers out the window in frustration!

This article may be interesting for you: http://www.thebookdesigner.com/2010/11/ ... ublishers/
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

buckspub
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby buckspub » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Shann wrote:You can get a random number for free too if my memory serves me correctly. When i published my book through CreateSpace I received the number for free.

Shann is right-on the mark (and that's an excellent article).

Publishers such as CreateSpace are providing ISBN's to the authors for the books they print. Sometimes there is a fee, othertimes as with CreateSpace it is free.

When the author uses the ISBN assigned to their book through CreateSpace, the print edition of that book becomes available internationally within just a couple weeks of publication.

If an author wants to publish directly to iBooks and Nook, then those services each require a unique ISBN -- even if it is an ebook. Amazon will assign an ASIN to any ebook it publishes through its Kindle services, so it is not necessary to assign an ISBN to a Kindle book. However, the other services require one unique to their service.

jo555

Postby jo555 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:55 pm

Thanks for the info. Been real busy with parents yesterday, and had to take pa to hospital for a few hours, but all is well, thank God.

Anyway, I just get really confused with all this.

Is an ISBN really free? Are they gaining anything? I don't want anyone telling me what I can and cannot do with a book I publish . . . and are they getting monetary gains beyond their percentage that comes from making the book?

What's up?

Should I just pay the 200 plus for 10 isbn's at Bowker?

Thanks again. Very much appreciated. I guess I am just wondering where's the catch, if there is one.
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs

jo555

Postby jo555 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:11 pm

Thanks for the article link Shann. Short on time now to really get into it but I will be reading it soon.

And thank again Buck for all the input. As I said, I'm pretty clueless. So, any info helps.

Return to Open Forum