To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:31 pm

More analogies? How about these?

My brain feels smushed like a bowl of strained, over-ripe pears, and I'm organized like a plate of cooked spaghetti.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:57 pm

:lol: Don, you're the limit.

I remembered mine!

Last week when we headed out to the car, I looked around at all the huge piles of grubby looking snow and told my husband, "It looks like all the neighborhood has thrown out its piles of dirty laundry!"
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:15 pm

I was just thinking...again...

What if?

After two weeks of time, manpower, money, aircraft, and ships searching for the wreckage of the lost flight...what if the large object seen in the ocean by satellite turned out to be a highway billboard blown away by a cyclone - a billboard advertising Toyota or some other product?

Maybe the search efforts would be over and everyone would go home.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:32 pm

There are many lists of analogies online and many are hysterically funny!

Back to the piano playing, Verna. I was a terrible piano student, no kidding, but in high school for fun, I memorized several bars of the "Warsaw Concerto," so that at parties when they'd often ask me to play, I'd sit down at the piano and belt out those memorized bars loudly and with great flourish. When I finished with all I knew (which only took a few seconds), I'd get up and with a dismissive gesture, announce, "That's enough of that stuff! Let's PARTY !!"

Thankfully, they never called my bluff! :lol:
Mariane Holbrook

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:13 am

ready2go wrote:I was just thinking...again...

What if?

After two weeks of time, manpower, money, aircraft, and ships searching for the wreckage of the lost flight...what if the large object seen in the ocean by satellite turned out to be a highway billboard blown away by a cyclone - a billboard advertising Toyota or some other product?

Maybe the search efforts would be over and everyone would go home.

Don

Maybe. Sigh. Keep the candle burning and pray for closure for the families.

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:53 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:There are many lists of analogies online and many are hysterically funny!

Back to the piano playing, Verna. I was a terrible piano student, no kidding, but in high school for fun, I memorized several bars of the "Warsaw Concerto," so that at parties when they'd often ask me to play, I'd sit down at the piano and belt out those memorized bars loudly and with great flourish. When I finished with all I knew (which only took a few seconds), I'd get up and with a dismissive gesture, announce, "That's enough of that stuff! Let's PARTY !!"

Thankfully, they never called my bluff! :lol:

Sorry, BeachGrandma, I am going to blow your cover. You are just toooooo modest. And here's a video someone took of you all those years ago, showing us what you were really up to back then!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niIE6HmQCXI

Isn't our Beach Gal something???!!! :lol:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:33 pm

Don't I wish! I could practice now throughout all eternity and still not play it well, Edy.

I've been meaning to ask you, Edy, which of the Scandinavia countries you most identify with. If it's Norway, I wonder if you've read "Bold Spirit," the account of Helga Estby's walk across America around 1896. I've just finished it and thought of you the whole time. Faced with losing her homestead in the eastern Washington state, Helga, the mother of 8, accepted a challenge to walk across America for a $10,000 prize which in today's currency would be about $278,000. It won't hurt the story line to tell you all that once she arrived in New York with her daughter who accompanied her on the walk, the sponsor refused to pay the money. They ended up penniless, without even train fare to get back home after their full year of being away. But even that was nothing compared to the anger and alienation that was thrown at them when they finally were able to return home. Two of their children had died of diphtheria while Helga and Clara were gone and neighbors and relatives refused to even listen to Helga talk about the trip. She was one of the earliest fighters for the women's vote and later her relatives burned all of Helga's papers that she'd planned to use in writing a book about the experience. She was persona non grata in the worst kind of way. It's a fascinating book, though redundant, likely because there wasn't much information left for the author to use, so she kept repeating herself over and over and surmising that Helga must or must not have done or thought things. But imagine your children setting fire to all that history, no matter whether you agreed that your mother was in the wrong for leaving for a year her husband and 7 of her 8 children, including a 2-year-old. One thing for sure, Edy, is that Norwegians as portrayed by Helga and her daughter, were physically very plucky and emotionally very secure, not to mention their courage and determination in the midst of unbelievable hardship.

I laughed when I read that Helga prepared lutefisk for Christmas every year. LOL
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:55 pm

Thank you for the book review, BeachGrandma! That is history I hadn't heard, before. What a sad story for all concerned!

As much as I love my Swedish relatives, I don't seem to have the same attachment to Sweden. Norway, however, for some strange reason, feels like my once-upon-a-time home. Perhaps it has something to do with our strain of Lutheran heritage. Historically, we were considered "low church" pietists in the Haugean tradition. He was like an Elisha in Norway, the Lord called him while he was out in the field, and he spent his life walking all over Norway (when he wasn't in prison because, not part of the state church, he wasn't allowed to preach), teaching people to read so they could read the Bible.

You can read more about him here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Nielsen_Hauge

Wikipedia's brief overview just scratches the surface. When I was a young 13 or 14 year old, I read his biography from my Swedish grandpa's library, and consider that a milestone in my own spiritual walk.

Here's something of interest from my email inbox. I'm posting to see if those strings of letters produce the pictures that came with the words!

YOU WILL DEFINITELY GAIN SOME EXTRA KNOWLEDGE AFTER YOU FINISH READING THIS MAIL.

(Some facts you may already know).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Our eyes cid:9EEE98FBD69748C594559DABEA3DE73B@KarenPC are always the same size from birth,
but our nose cid:9B71925D150A4360A1B752F494926C1A@KarenPC and earscid:CDDE94FA727144CA8BE4B873DB0255B4@KarenPC never stop growing.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
The sentence: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"
uses every letter of the alphabet.

cid:640CDF626DC041469BE481A37CDD7F05@KarenPC
The words 'racecar,'
'kayak' cid:DAAB2824D1774572ACEF8B478A24017B@KarenPC , and 'level'cid:0812A2A8F1804398B6C281CEF9F64BCE@KarenPC
are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left (palindromes).
There are only four words in the English language which end in "dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous

There are two words in the English language that have all five vowels in order: "abstemious" and "facetious."

TYPEWRITER cid:26D358BB6C0F48E7B85F117E4B65B199@KarenPC is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
cid:8F1AB5D424024D8B93D646470CF97370@KarenPC
A goldfish cid:C0C76DF1237E4C06A6D3919DE87D02E6@KarenPC has a memory span of three seconds.

(Same as a politician.)

= = = == = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second
cid:EE4C33919D62452CA8342B7460036624@KarenPC
A shark cid:7F0C57950C3E426487213434F3972FCC@KarenPC is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.
A snail cid:8C6F270637A746C5921FFD979E84100F@KarenPC can sleep for three years.

Almonds are a member of the peachcid:76BC0B1F9EDD4C18AFC2EC78C3CD95BF@KarenPC family.
An ostrich's eye cid:9F5E20263B50408681C520D6B48850A1@KarenPC is bigger than its brain.
(I know some people like that. Also all politicians )
Babies cid:F0B82C355FD742019D2B7CD3AC49ADAE@KarenPC are born without kneecaps. They don't appear until the child reaches 2 to 6 years of age.
February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon.
In the last 4,000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.
cid:823616C3156E4963BA0353CA1C0758FD@KarenPC
If the population of China walked past you, 8 abreast, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.
cid:8EAA6FA1EC884C3DB591ED4F917B51DA@KarenPC
Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.
cid:ED8B19F349704E718344EEE38FF3215B@KarenPC
Peanuts cid:6B2D15AABC214FCEBE293976041414BF@KarenPC are one of the ingredients of dynamite!
cid:614D8143CFED47A28AF70CF71E3BEFF9@KarenPC
Rubber bands cid:EF0847BAB12C45109933E3351B6AF181@KarenPC last longer when refrigerated.
The average person's left hand does 56% of the typingcid:34B3B4B9DC0C44F0834E1E50BA3DDA97@KarenPC
The cruise liner, QE 2
cid:66A7A08E16AF467DADA05808A4A05A62@KarenPC
moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel that it burns.
The microwave cid:58AF99D3F9614FBFB8FFD81045C13731@KarenPC was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
(Good thing he did that.)
The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid.
cid:5D6EA4F414454DD78A080CF511A043E9@KarenPC
There are more chickens cid:5C81CF7A6C914CB881AF6EDDEBB06C80@KarenPC than people in the world.
Winston Churchill
cid:A09B716EB0774EA6B1F78ED027DA78D9@KarenPC
was born in a ladies' room during a dance.
Women blink cid:65F1751F737D4FECBD749759C6AD029F@KarenPC nearly twice as much as men.
Bonus!! All the ants in Africa weigh more than ALL the Elephants!!
Now you know (a little) more than you did before!!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Hmmm...so, a "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

We don't hear that word very much anymore. I recall my grandmother using it quite often, though. At the time it seemed to mean "quickly" or "a few minutes".

Wow! If it's only 1/100th of a second, grandma could have done the job a hundred times before I heard what she was saying.

Okay...what is the definition of "smidgen"? Grandma used that word too. It seems that word got lost over the decades, but it was dug up and used by Obama a few weeks ago. I don't think he knows what it means either.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Don, my family in upstate New York used/uses "smidgen" and "Jiffy," regularly. I notice that "Jiffy" is used here in the South all the time, too. But on second thought, maybe they're referring to Jiffy Cornbread Mix. :lol: "Smidgen" means a "tiny bit" as in a smidgen of cream of tartar.

The only person I ever knew to have her name spelled the same backwards and frontwards was Marge Pegram, whose daughter was in one of John's high school chemistry classes. Putting the two words together, it spells the same both ways, which to me is most unusual. If I read my name backwards it would be KoorblohenairaM (which if read fast out loud sounds like "Cool, she blows hot air." Anyone who touches that line must have a death wish. :superhappy :superhappy
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:48 pm

That name, Marge Pegram, sounds like a good one for an Agatha Christie mystery, BeachGrandma, the name itself implicated in the clues!

Have any of you tried rearranging the letters of your full name to see if you can make out a message? One of my brothers has done it, and it can be quite funny. I'll have to remember to ask him what his turned out to be.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:20 pm

Edy, I did that in my previous post.
Mariane Holbrook

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:43 pm

I have never try spelling my name backwards.

Lets see.

eeggisyssirhc

mmmm…

notgnirrabhturenitsirhc

That's my full maiden name backward case you're wondering.

I'd love to see some other full names spelt backwards. lol. like Don, Carole and Verna.

My neice is HANNAH and she loved messing with brains as a kid.

Chrissy

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:21 am

Here's what I meant, how my brother rearranged the letters of his name:

Human slop pot? <<<< That is Paul Thompson anagram. Another Paul said; Oh wretched man that I am, who will deliver me from the body of this death? Ha

Clint Eastwood is "Old West Action", for instance

Perhaps the secret is not to use my complete name (too many letters), but work with my pen name.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:58 pm

Don, I love your analogies.

Carole, It's nice to have you drop by. I have a slew of first cousins I do not know on one side of the family. It was interesting to go to a funeral and meet a bunch of people that looked a bit like my daddy. Somehow though, the genealogy bug has never bitten me.

For anyone who would love to read a beautiful poem and be inspired that spring IS coming, you can check out my FB page or Mariane's for a gorgeous poem by our very own Mariane!

There's not too much to get out of my name spelled backwards, but you can find some "time" in there and a "Rev." For the kids I taught who usually left one "L" off my last name, I told them to just remember the opposite of heaven.

Edy, thanks for the cold remedy suggestions. I must admit my own very favorite is Afrin, but I quit using it after three days because it is addictive--or so I've read. Anyway, I surely felt better when I used it!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler