To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Verna
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Verna » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Mariane, a laugh ''like a dog just before he throws up" and a ballet dancer "like a dog at a fire hydrant did it for me!

Chrissy, I'm glad you had a good vacation.

Okay--bring them on--your best "cold" remedies--that is "cold" as in sniffling sneezing , achy throat, miserable all over feeling! I need them right now!~
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:14 pm

Oh, poor Verna. If you were close by I'd run over with some Watkins' chicken broth. My hubby feels so much better after tanking up on that, plus lots of extra vitamin C. Besides that, I like mentholatum rubbed in so I can smell the vapors clearing my nose. I haven't yet tried it on the bottoms of my feet (as some recommend), because I rarely get a cold, so haven't had a chance, yet, to try that.

And, don't forget the fluids and lots of rest. I would also take an ibuprofen (or two) to relieve some of the discomfort so I could sleep. I hope you feel better fast, my dear!
:grouphug3
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:09 pm

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkou ... r-n1812321

I'm so excited! Dr. Mike Adams, a professor at Univ of N.C at Wilmington (just 15 miles from me) won unanimously against all defendants in court today in Greenville, NC. Mike was an atheist for many years but after researching Christianity became a devout Christian, so when he was teaching his classes in criminology at UNC-W, he often mentioned his faith and his conservative views politically. This angered many of the liberal professors on campus, including some of his superiors. Six years ago when he was up for promotion, he was denied, to which he responded by beginning a 6-year court battle against UNC-W. The 3-day trial was held this week and he asked all of his friends to pray. He is a regular columnist on Town Hall, btw. Today he WON, against ALL the defendants he named in the trial. What great news! You can read his columns regularly on Town Hall online. He's witty, funny and on the cutting edge. I love this guy. His classes at UNC-W are packed every semester because he's such a brilliant teacher and engaging guy.
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:33 pm

Found on Facebook:

Friday Funny ..

"The easiest job in the world has to be coroner. Surgery on dead people. What's the worst thing that could happen? If everything went wrong, maybe you'd get a pulse." (Dennis Miller)

"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?" (Edgar Bergen)

"Doing nothing is very hard to do ... you never know when you're finished." (Leslie Nielsen)

"The trouble with unemployment is that the minute you wake up in the morning you're on the job." (Slappy White)

"I only go to work on days that don't end in a 'y.'" (Robert Paul)

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." (Muhammad Ali)

"A good rule of thumb is if you've made it to thirty-five and your job still requires you to wear a name tag, you've made a serious vocational error." (Dennis Miller)

How is everyone doing writing an analogy or metaphor? I thought of one of mine to recycle, here, yesterday. But, right now it is nowhere to be found in my cranial filing cabinet. :cry:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:31 pm

Edy wrote:How is everyone doing writing an analogy or metaphor? I thought of one of mine to recycle, here, yesterday. But, right now it is nowhere to be found in my cranial filing cabinet. :cry:

Okay...this is a true life analogy.

Today after almost 50 years I removed my trumpet from its case hoping to make beautiful music, but the sounds that emerged were like those of a dog trying to throw up.

:lol:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:42 pm

Okay...this is a true life analogy.

Today after almost 50 years I removed my trumpet from its case hoping to make beautiful music, but the sounds that emerged were like those of a dog trying to throw up.

Don
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did you put your false teeth back in or are they stuck in the tubes?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I almost fell off my chair visuallising it all. :lol:

Now, if it was a harmonica, you would still have your teeth and not be dizzy.

Ah… it's ok, Don. Years ago I played a fluegal horn and there would be no way I could play it now. My brains would slide forward, sinuses would erupt and my ears would pop so hard I'd rupture my eardrums. So really, you did well. :)

Chrissy

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Don! :superhappy

Chrissy, my sinuses actually did erupt, long ages ago. I played coronet in high school. My junior year I got such a bad sinus infection, I landed in the hospital for a week on antibiotics. After that, when I tried to play, after about 15 minutes I could no longer control my soft palate (or whatever it is that keeps our expirations directed only through the mouth).

More of my lung power was escaping through my nose than through my mouth. Needless to say, I wasn't destined to have a career playing any sort of horn! :P Not that it broke my heart. It was the band director who had a coronet available for me to borrow, so that's what he suggested I learned to play.

I still haven't recollected my recent analogy memory. Rats.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:15 pm

RiversidePeace wrote:Okay...this is a true life analogy.

Don

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did you put your false teeth back in or are they stuck in the tubes?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I almost fell off my chair visuallising it all. :lol:

Now, if it was a harmonica, you would still have your teeth and not be dizzy.

Ah… it's ok, Don. Years ago I played a fluegal horn and there would be no way I could play it now. My brains would slide forward, sinuses would erupt and my ears would pop so hard I'd rupture my eardrums. So really, you did well. :)

Chrissy[/quote]

Actually, I don't have false teeth. Since they won't come out, I think the dentist glued 'em in there.

Today I couldn't produce any sound from my trumpet that resembled music notes that I remember. It sounded kinda like the tubes were stuffed with nerf balls. I think my lips have turned to mush with age.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:06 pm

Actually, I don't have false teeth. Since they won't come out, I think the dentist glued 'em in there.

Today I couldn't produce any sound from my trumpet that resembled music notes that I remember. It sounded kinda like the tubes were stuffed with nerf balls. I think my lips have turned to mush with age.

Don
[/quote]

Ah.. so mushee lips, mushee kisses. Do they drag along or just droop with or without a bounce?

Chrissy

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:07 am

My days of playing the "Trumpeter's Lullaby" are long gone. I once played that song at a HS Band Concert, ya know.

Trumpeter's Lullaby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53MyTLRhkYM

It would be hard for me to do that today with lips that are like "Silly Putty" gone way beyond the use-before date. :lol:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:52 pm

You can be so funny, Don! :P

But, thank you for the link to one of my all-time favorite trumpet numbers (the top one being The Trumpet Shall Sound from Handel's Messiah). It brings back memories and is so beautiful it almost makes me cry. :cry:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:10 pm

This sounds like a real work out for any trumpeter - from the Ghana orchestra, no less:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oJKbD-k6mc

Did you ever try this one, Don?
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:04 pm

I've enjoyed your analogies and the pictures in my mind. I took piano lessons when I was a child and even a few in college, but with one eye far-sighted and the other near-sighted, I just couldn't read music. But I could memorize a piece, and I memorized The Rustic Dance for a piano recital. I played it like a seasoned pianist, but I never learned another song. When I lived in the dorm at Marion College (now Indiana Wesleyan University), I would sit at the grand piano in the lounge there and play "my song." The girls would laugh as they walked by and say, "Verna Cole's here!"
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:18 pm

I'm very glad to see everybody is still here, without me!
:superhappy :superhappy :superhappy

For some reason, I never get notices any more.
:fingerwag :fingerwag :seeingstars :seeingstars :seeingstars

Well, life has been going on without much change around here, except for one very strange, and scary, thing. Well, can't really say it's one thing, more like one string of things. In the last 5 weeks, either close friends or family of close friends, have lost a family member. Eight funerals in 5 weeks!! It has me a little scared. The good thing is, as far as is known, every one of them were Christians.

I have started a "secret" family group page on facebook. It can only be joined by invitation, and only members can see what is posted on it. I went to a genealogical seminar a couple of weeks ago, and they suggested this as a way of involving the entire family, all the cousins that no longer know each other and their kids who have no clue who we are. I am writing a sort of a blog that I'm posting on it, talking about where the family came from, using info I have found on Ancestry.com and family stories. I have nephews and nieces that are spread around the world and have never met their aunts/uncles, let alone cousins. I'm hoping this will help us to reconnect and get acquainted. Who knows, it may even inspire a family reunion some day, a face to face, in person, reunion. But for now I will be happy with an online one.

I'm also posting old family pictures, and hoping some of my cousins (some who are older than me) may have some old family papers or photo albums sitting around collecting dust somewhere that they will be encouraged to share.

I even went and searched FB looking for "long-lost" cousins, using whatever names I remember or collected on Ancestry, that I can invite. I actually had to introduce myself to them. I'm hoping they will remember the family connection and friend me so they can be included.

I totally forget to check out the Southern Porch without notices. I told Bill the other day my memory is getting so bad I could plan a surprise birthday party for myself and be totally shocked when it happens.

I'll try harder to stay in touch. Miss all of you.
:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:10 pm

Carole, that sounds like a neat idea. I call Facebook a virtual family reunion that we don't have to do any work to enjoy. 8) Ours isn't as private as yours, but several family members have posted old photos, and I seem to be the one with the best memory (or perhaps just old enough?) to add information that the others want to know.

Thanks to Facebook, several Swedish side cousins we've never met in person, have connected. So, when a cousin from Sweden wanted to reconnect with people she visited in the USA back when she was 18, I was prepared to link them together. She called me her Open Sesame. She had been hitting brick walls until one of my first cousins sent me her email request.

We even found a several-times-removed cousin from a "dark horse" branch of the Norwegian side of the family that we never knew existed. She had done a lot of research going back to Norway and told us things about our grandfather, born in Norway, that my dad had never mentioned to us.

I am so grateful for this free technology. I don't know how they do it, but I sure do appreciate it!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler