To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Mini-break fun!

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, itsjoanne, cori67, Sparrow, beaedwards, RedBaron

Shann

Mini-break fun!

Postby Shann » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:56 am

Since we are on a mini break from the challenge, and since I've heard that quite a few people have been suffering from a mental block as far as writing goes, I have a plan. First let me say I fully blame the block on the harsh winter, the tons of snow, the frigid temperatures, the drought, the thunderstorms, the stifling heat, the rainy season, and global warming and global cooling. Did I get everyone? :lol:

I mentioned in another thread, one of my favorite books (writing books) is called Room to Write by Bonni Goldberg. She gives little assignments and what nots to help with writer's block. I thought I'd post a suggestion each day. Everyone is welcome to post what they have come up with.

Also if this doesn't appeal to you, check out Jan's thread and do some of her old lessons. They are genius and chocked full of good advice. She is good about responding to all who participate too. Here is the link:http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=37995 This week she is talking about magic endings. Some of you may say, oh that's what Shann was trying to say when she commented on my article! That is something I tend to point out from time to time.

If you only have time to do one thing or the other, check out Jan's thread. This one is more for fun, to help those who withdraw during challenge breaks.

So in my handy-dandy book, Room to Write, Goldberg tells the reader the most important thing a writer needs to do is 1."...Show up on the page;"
2. "The more you can give up control over what you write; the more creative your writing will be;"
3. "Making room in your life to write, generates more room for your writing."
4. "The only true obstacle to writing creatively is a lack of faith that appears as fear and self judgment."

I thought I would start with one of my favorite topics, Dee are you out there because this will knock your knickers off! (Knickers is the UK word for socks right? :rolling

Today's assignment or topic or whatever you want to call it is SNOT. Yes, that really is in the book on page 6 for you doubters!

She prefaces this by stating that there are many subjects that people consider naughty, impolite or just improper to write about, even though they happen to everyone. She isn't talking about dark subjects like incest, rape or abuse, but normal things like snot dripping from your nose at the most inopportune time.

So for today (or the next few days, write a page about snot and see where it takes you. When you're done think about how you felt before you began writing, and how you felt when you finished. Afterwards read it over and see if you have a scene you can incorporate into a story you're working on now. Perhaps it will be the start of a new story too.

Just to show you, I can have fun with snot. I'll start off. I'm going to write right on the thread, but you all if you choose to accept this assignment can do it however you want. You don't even have to share if you don't want to.

I forgot to mention that one of the rules is to keep writing, don't stop if you can't think of what to write next and don't stop to edit or reread a portion as the purpose of this exercise is to keep writing no matter what!
Last edited by Shann on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Re: Mini-break fun!

Postby Shann » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:38 pm

Groaning, Riley rolled over and looked at the clock. Man, I only have ten minutes to get to the bus for clinical. Oh why did I want to be a nurse anyway? Using her hand to push her body out of bed, she stopped in mid-push. "Oh gross! There's a puddle of snot on my pillow! Yuck and it's green with flecks of yellow." She took her hand and smeared the leftover snot onto the dry part of her pillow.

After a quick clean-up, she grabbed her supplies. Just as she reached the door, her nose started to tickle. Blinking her eyes she looked up into the sunlight. That did the trick--ah-choo. Minute particles of mucous sprayed all over the sliding glass window. Looking around, she spotted her brother's hat on the kitchen table and quickly wiped the window down, causing it to smear even more.

Groaning, she was sure the clock started ticking louder. She turned around and hurried into the bathroom. Grabbing a handful of tissues and a bottle of germ-killer, she sprinted back out to the car. Although her head was plugged and each time her heart beat, she felt like said head might explode, she put the car into drive and headed it in the general direction of the hospital. It's not like I'm really sick. I think it's just a sinus infection. We covered that last week in class. I'm pretty sure Ms. Z said it wasn't contagious, though I may have dozed off. No wait, I'm sure it isn't because she said the sinus cavities are there to cushion the brain or something like that. Sometimes the gunk that acts like lubricant can get infected and it drips down the back of your throat, tasting quite like how the cats we are dissecting in A&P smell. Even if it is contagious, it's not like I'm going to smear boogers all over my patient. I have plenty of tissues. Plus everyone knows I hate working with lol Riley rolled her eyes. I can't believe they stole little old ladies from laughing out loud. There is nothing at all funny about them. They smell funky, can't hear me, and I think they gossip about all of the students as soon as we leave. If I don't show up for clinical, Ms. Z will just say it's because I didn't want to work in geriatrics.

Riley maneuvered her car into the last parking space as she tried to ignore the blaring horn. As soon as she stepped out into the cold, her nose started dripping again. Inhaling deeply she managed to suck it back up into her nose.

When she reached the conference room, Ms. Z was handing out assignments. She stopped in mid-sentence and glared at Riley. "So glad you joined us today. Here's your assignment."

Riley grabbed the paper as she sniffled quite loudly. It was enough to turn Ms. Z's head. "Do you need to go blow your nose, Riley?"

Shaking her head, Riley snorted once more for good measure. "I did want to talk to you about that though. I think I have a sinus infection and maybe I should do paperwork or something. I mean I wouldn't want to get," Riley glanced down at her assignment, "Mrs. Bogey sick."

"As long as you use universal precautions and common sense, I think you'll be just fine. The head nurse did ask that we ambulate Mrs. Bogey ASAP. Since the other students are busy, I'll help you."

They entered the patient's room. "Good morning, Mrs. Bogey." Riley stifled a snicker. Seriously, today I get a patient named Bogey? Man, God you do have a sense of humor.

Riley and Ms. Z managed to scoot and rotate Mrs. Bogey to the side of the bed. Riley sniffled once more, then using both arms she grasped her patient firmly. "On three. One, two, three." Together the two managed to pull the elderly lady to her feet. Riley kept her head down so she wouldn't spray any germs. She also was watching her patient's feet to make sure she didn't drip. The poor lady wobbled like a Weeble. It was a good thing Ms. Z was there to help her because Riley never could have supported the lady on her own.

Just as they got to the chair, Riley felt her upper lip get wet. She tried to snort the snot back into her nose, but it was intent upon escaping. Riley didn't dare let go of the patient to grab her tissue. The lady was so unsteady, if she loosened her grip at all, she would surely fall and break a bone or something. Out of desperation, Riley tried to lick the snot away, but her tongue only caught the tip of it. It seemed to turn from a lightly running brook to a raging river. She didn't think it was possible for her body to store so much fluid in her sinus cavities. She watched in horror as it dripped down in a single strand, stretching from her nose outwards. Riley's eyes mapped out the destination. If I don't do something in two seconds it's going to plop right on Mrs. Bogey's shoulder. Oh man, I knew I should have stayed in bed. Her heart felt like it was going to pound out of her chest. They sure didn't teach this in nursing school. She glanced at Ms. Z. She seemed intent on holding the patient upright. Riley only had one idea. Quickly she turned her head, lifted her arm a bit and wiped her nose with the sleeve of her sweater. It immediately started to dry up and glisten like a beckon. Just as Riley was about to exhale a sigh of relief, she felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. Glancing up, she could almost feel the daggers that were shooting out of Ms. Z's eyes.

"Riley!"

Feeling the blood rush to her face, Riley stammered. "I-i-it-t It's not--"

Ms. Z raised her eyebrows. "I'm perfectly aware that it is snot!"

I forgot to mention that one of the rules is to keep writing, don't stop if you can't think of what to write next and don't stop to edit or reread a portion as the purpose of this exercise is to keep writing no matter what!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

amilli
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby amilli » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:45 pm

Indeed, the biggest writing obstacle is the fear of writing itself.

Just reading this has motivated me to ensure that I write everyday. whether it's whimsical nonsense or inspired pieces. This is such a well needed topic and the activity is stellar! I would have never consider writing about "SNOT" :lol: Yet as soon as I read the activity, my little 7 year old nephew came to mind!

I Started writing right away...even before reading your piece. It amazes me how the little "eekie" things we do transcends culture, ethnicity, or creed :mrgreen:

I have no problem sharing my "Snot talk" with you guys...There may be errors because I just wrote it, but here goes!

Snot Talk

One hand held his tablet and the other was busy swiping across the screen. His focus was uninterrupted, his gaze—direct and intent. But his snot was carefree and ran aimlessly. Down the smooth of his skin it rolled, glistening as it goes. His first attempt to get rid of it was to sniff it back up his nostril and swallow. Yet, the snot was determined to flow just as much as he was intent on playing his game. When it came down again, he quickly raised one hand, turned his head, and wiped his face across the sleeve of his spider-man shirt. This bugger meant business as it decided to slide out his nose once more. As it meandered down towards his top lip, his tongue shot up and erased the slimy stream like wipers on a car. All attempts were made while his concentration to his game remained unbroken.

I have had enough.

“Jayden, go blow your nose!” The disgust I felt was chiseled in my expression.

He managed to break eye contact from his tablet for a second as he addressed me. “But Aunty, I already did.”

“Well go do it again. Obviously your methods are not resolving anything.”

He reluctantly lowered the gadget to the sofa. With slumped shoulders and hanging head; he went to the room to retrieve the box of Kleenex.

Gone are the days when I used to eat my buggers. I think it’s safe to say that we all do it. Yup, I’m including you. While the age we do it may differ, the bottom line is—we do it. How else would I know that it’s salty? And how would you be nodding in agreement if you didn't taste it too?

Back then, it was the norm. It wasn't disgusting or gross…well to me it wasn't. It was as natural as wiping the sweat from my face on a hot day or rubbing my eyes when they itch. Like my nephew, I used to lick it off my top lip when it’s wet and running. At other times, I would pick it from my nostril with my index finger and inserted it in my mouth.

Then there was the issue of getting it off my finger when my mouth refused it! That was a piece of work. I would huff and I would puff, but try as I may, I just could not blow it off my finger. So that meant its final resting place would either be on the outfit I was wearing, or on the nearest window curtain or furniture. No, no….don‘t turn up your nose at me. You know it’s the truth. Don’t be bashful.
Amelia

My writing is a passion, not a hobby!

Shann

Postby Shann » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:02 pm

Ha, ha thank you! You made my day and did a great job of it. Who'da thunk there could be enough information to write about snot! I'm going to let this one fester for a day or two, but then will come up with another.

I know it may gross some people out, but it's a fact of life. When I see a story about normal bodily fluids, I just know I'm in for a treat! :mrgreen: :sorry
Shann

Shann's Profile

Shann

Postby Shann » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:03 pm

Seriously no one else wants to try a snot story? I'll have to add a new page tomorrow.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Return to Open Forum