To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

A Few Tips For the Reluctant Reviewer?

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, itsjoanne, cori67, Sparrow, beaedwards, RedBaron

RachelM
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: A Few Tips For the Reluctant Reviewer?

Postby RachelM » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:58 pm

Come forth wrote:The important thing to me is that we keep talking. We may not always agree with each other; in fact we wont. But let's keep discussing it. That's how success comes.

Blessings, Graham.

I love this! :thumbs

I really like the idea of taking turns submitting a piece to a "laboratory" too. I'm eager to grow in this area.
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Come forth

Postby Come forth » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Okay, brick throwing has just opened for the 'End Times' Challenge.

I'm not saying we have to do the 'laboratory' thing but I'm up for it if you wish.

Here's a link to my entry; http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... p?id=48055

You can all pop over and do a critique and when ready come back here and discuss the critiques and articles as much as you like.

If someone really wants to go first, just say so and we'll change the target. If you're happy to go with this one then just tell me who wants to go next. We can even keep this going during the Challenge break by just picking one out of our past entries.

Blessings, Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:15 pm

Questions:

Which thread is the official thread for the Critique Group? Or is there one? And are we holding the "laboratory" here or on the Critique Group thread?

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Come forth

Postby Come forth » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:44 pm

Hi Lillian, I praise God for you; and I mean it.

Once again you are right. the correct thread is th one called the Constructive Critique Group.

So I'll post and copy two of my comments over there.

Blessings, Graham.

My prayer for us all.

buckspub
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby buckspub » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:02 am

Post content deleted by user.
Last edited by buckspub on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mikeedwards » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:04 am

Hello FaithWriters,

Here is what the Challenge submission page now says for entries. We made an improvement and added check boxes.

Please pay attention to those who state they do not necessarily want constructive comments on certain articles they have submitted.

Here it is:

Please Specify if your post is Fiction or Non-Fiction. This will help the judges:
Fiction
Non-Fiction

Would you like to solicit Constructive Critiques (no guarantee) from members who would like to help you become the best writer you can be?
Yes
No
Note: Checking "Yes" will tell other members that it is okay to use constructive comments (Ouch) if needed. Checking "No" will for the most part avoid constructive comments. However, you still could receive some since the purpose of Faithwriters is to help writers grow.

Since the general public can be very harsh in their judgment of a writers ability, we encourage you to step out in faith here checking YES occasionally. This is a safe place to grow by facing our fears of what others think of our ability. Another option is you can submit Challenge articles that have ALREADY BEEN JUDGED to the Critique Circle for private in-depth feedback.

"I have a few, very few, trusted friends who will edit me with a scowl. Most people want you to feel good so they give you compliments about your writing, and these don’t help at all (except emotionally). Really, you need some grouches to edit your work." Philip Yancey in a FaithWriters interview.

Thanks to all you care enough to want to help your fellow writers. That is great news.

Blessings, Mike
We need God's Grace because of God's Truth.

franabelle
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby franabelle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:55 pm

I am trying to log in to Challenge to submit an article. I have done this several times before with no problem. This time, however, when I try to submit I get bounced back to the log-in page. I have tried a number of time this morning and afternoon and I just can't get in to post my article and submit. I admit to being technologically challenged so I suppose it could be operator trouble, but my recollection is that previously when I clicked submit a box came up to put my article in (just like this one I'm writing in now. I'm so eager to get my Deep End article submitted. This is frustrating!

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:15 pm

I just tried it by going to the Forum thread and clicking on Writing Challenge:
http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php

It worked for me. If that doesn't work, someone will come to your rescue. :D The good news is that you have until Thursday morning.

Blessings,

Lillian

Fortunate 500

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Shann

Postby Shann » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:49 pm

franabelle wrote:I am trying to log in to Challenge to submit an article. I have done this several times before with no problem. This time, however, when I try to submit I get bounced back to the log-in page. I have tried a number of time this morning and afternoon and I just can't get in to post my article and submit. I admit to being technologically challenged so I suppose it could be operator trouble, but my recollection is that previously when I clicked submit a box came up to put my article in (just like this one I'm writing in now. I'm so eager to get my Deep End article submitted. This is frustrating!

Are you sure you're logging in on the main site login? It can get confusing with the forums and the boards.

First go up to the very top of this page and hit LOGin Main Account. Then there should be a link to take you to the submission page. It is possible since they were working on the submission form that it was just down for a little while. If you're still having problems you may want to send an email to here: writer-support@faithwriters.com

Sometimes God puts up roadblocks for good reason. Just a piece of advice, after you get the box to come up, make sure you hit preview before submit. It'll let you know how your piece will look to the reader. Sometimes the spacing gets messed up and I can't tell you how many times I find errors on that preview page. I think the formatting helps me spot them better.

Good luck and let us know if you're still =having problems. :D
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

buckspub
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby buckspub » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:41 pm

Last edited by buckspub on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks, Buck. I wasn't having the problem, but since your possible solution has been posted, I'm certain the right person will spot it.

By the way, would you care to hope over to the Critique Group thread to offer your input into how I could improve on my recent review of an article?

Blessings,

Lillian

Fortunate 500

buckspub
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby buckspub » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:42 pm

Last edited by buckspub on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:00 pm

Buck wrote:Sure... on Monday if you don't mind. Meanwhile, would you mind providing me a link to the area or specific post or article?

I'm two steps ahead of you. :D The link to the article and my critique along with Shann's suggestions are already posted there.

Blessings,

Lillian

Fortunate 500

buckspub
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby buckspub » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:36 pm

Last edited by buckspub on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Come forth

Postby Come forth » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:25 pm

Hi Buck, just jumping in to answer the question for you.

Yes that is the link that leads you where Lillian has invited you to go.

I look forward to reading your input on the Constructive Critique Group exercise.

Basically we are helping each other to grow in our critique giving skills and trying to increase the number of constructive comments given on Challenge entries.

Blessings, Graham.

My prayer for us all.

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forum