To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Member Profile: Add Author Level

FaithWriters want your input to help make FaithWriters even better. What do writers really want? If you know the answer, post here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, beaedwards

buckspub
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Member Profile: Add Author Level

Postby buckspub » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:20 pm

Post content deleted by user.
Last edited by buckspub on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: Member Profile: Add Author Level

Postby Deb Porter » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:45 am

Hi buckspub. :D

Those author levels are really only used when members are submitting to the Challenge. It's a way of rewarding members at their own level of ability. We originally didn't have levels of entry for the Challenge, it was a very disheartening thing for those just starting out. This way, even a beginner can be acknowledged for their entry if it is judged to be one of the best in that level for that topic.

However, from a browsing point of view, I can understand why readers would be interested in that sort of note on a profile, but it could mean they skip over some really good material by people just starting out.

Also, the level of ability is really judged by the author, so it would be very subjective. And I'm not sure all members would be that keen including that on their profiles in an "official" way. Many beginners do actually indicate that in their bio note on their profile. More advanced writers may include some of their writing credits. (Some don't say anything at all. LOL.)

Anyway, it's an interesting suggestion, and I'm interested to see what others think.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

violin4jesus
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby violin4jesus » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:54 am

There's some amazing writers on FW who don't even play in the Challenge, so it would be hard to accurately put people in levels. Also, it may be months or years before someone gets a third EC to "earn" their place among the "Masters" level, even if they place 11th or 13th or way up there every week, making their writing just as skilled as those in the top level. So I vote no. :roll: You just have to read a few pieces to figure out if someone is any good, IMHO.

franabelle
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby franabelle » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:21 pm

I'm new to Faithwriters. I like the categories on Challenge because if I post a critique, I like to know if the writer is just beginning or more experienced. And I love Challenge. I jumped right into it and have only skipped one - End Times. That's because I don't feel sure enough to weigh in on such a weighty subject.

They say anyone can be a critic, but not everyone can be a writer and I think there's a lot of truth in that. In my job as administrator at a school, I critique a lot of writings and I like doing that. I teach grammar and punctuation and so am always to pass on a few tips and memory hooks, anecdotes, etc.

I got 3rd place on my 3rd Challenge article and that's the carrot on the stick for me. I find that sort of thing encouraging, but I'm a compulsive reader and writer, so I will keep submitting even if I never get another "win."

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:16 pm

I think I entered my first challenge in April of 2012, and I haven't missed one since. I love entering, I love winning, but it's the fun of it I enjoy most. Some weeks I know my entry isn't that good, but I just can't NOT enter, so I paint a big red target on my entry and stick it out there!

Some weeks my writing is fit for the Masters level, and some weeks it would better be seen in beginners, but I play it all the same. I don't think of myself as a level, just a writer eager to learn. Never had so much fun in my life. :lol:
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

franabelle
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby franabelle » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:05 pm

to: Tomoral

I agree with you - Challenge is a lot of fun. I've only been here a month, but I look forward to every week's challenge contest and am having withdrawals now.

franabelle

philippa
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby philippa » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:33 pm

Loved your discussion re the Challenge Tomoral and Franabelle.
I haven't been able to roll up the sleeves and sense my fingers twitching over a story for ages- but I well remember the delight and the involvement. Reading your posts has made me want to -again.
Tomoral how well you said 'some weeks my writing is good enough for Masters and other weeks in Beginners (paraphrase mine). It was a roller-coaster ride and each week I had to acknowledge the Master's sovereignty.
I hope to get back on board next term.
Cheers,
Philippa

Return to Feedback for FaithWriters