To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

To Writers Everywhere...

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, itsjoanne, cori67, Sparrow, beaedwards, RedBaron

lish1936
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

To Writers Everywhere...

Postby lish1936 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:21 pm

This is SO apropos to the new "critique" changes and the color red, as in "red ink." :D

Out of My Own Way: Listening to Critics and Rewriting My Masterpieces
By Janice Lynch Schuster

"I had a degree in math, and a passion for writing poetry. As a brand-new MFA student in the late 1980s, I hoped not just to learn all that I could, but to show off what I could do. A since-dead writer, quite famous at that time, was offering a workshop on nonfiction, which I had little experience writing. I no longer remember the assignment, but for some reason, thought I should write something light and silly.

A few weeks later, my paper came back, with a note scrawled by that famous hand in scorching red ink across the top. I no longer remember his exact phrasing, but the general message was that I had composed the most idiotic thing he had ever read, and he marveled that I was in a graduate degree program. My piece had made me laugh–his note made me cry.

But then, it made me angry. He wanted serious? He wanted insights? He wanted relevance? I could do that, too. I resubmitted the paper and a week later, got another note, “You’ve shown me you’ve got what it takes to be a writer–you rewrote."

Blessings,

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Shann

Re: To Writers Everywhere...

Postby Shann » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:53 pm

I love it. Someone once asked Mark Twain how he knew when he was finished rewriting. The answer was something like: it's simple, I'll be dead. :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Come forth
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby Come forth » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:44 pm

Goes along with a quote I heard once; but can't remember where it came from or who said it:

"There is no such thing as good writing, there is only good rewriting."

Blessings, Graham.
Last edited by Come forth on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:54 pm

Wow! Thanks for sharing!

I was telling my mother-in-law (a magazine editor) that I was working with an editor and how blessed I was with that process. She basically told me that I had what it takes to be a writer too, since I was willing to take criticism and grow from it.

She said that it was a rare thing and very important for people who want to be in the writing industry. She deals with countless people that are offended when she recommends changes.
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:08 pm

Rachel wrote:I was telling my mother-in-law (a magazine editor)...

Having a magazine editor as a mother-in-law suggests you have a lot in common. Is that why your husband married you? Just kidding... :D

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:16 am

Actually she is my stepmother-in-law, but that is just totally confusing! I don't know how my husband would react to the thought that he married someone like his stepmom. :lol:
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Return to Open Forum